Jackshaft cassette wear and single cog replacement for shifter bike

I havent had a problem with the loctite, Im just using it so much because every time something breaks im using it everytime I have to take things apart.

Exactly what parts are "breaking all the time"? because few other people would place as much load through the drive train doing Heavy Haul as i do, and i do not "break parts all the time"; in fact i am surprised at just how reliable the drive train is considering the level of punishment that's asked of it.

The wheel breaking another spoke was the last straw, I went and purchased a new wheel with 36 spokes instead of my stock wheels 32 spoke. I hit a big pothole 1 1/2 months ago at 30mph. It was then I noticed the 1st broken spoke. ive been replacing them at a rate of 1 a week and its usually the same spoke breaking which indicates I bent the rim that first time. once your rim is bent, correcting it with uneven tensions on the spokes will just keep breaking them.

Well, there is your problem. You can't blame the spokes for breaking by trying to place excessive and uneven tension on the spokes; trying to correct ovality of a damaged wheel.

You've obviously been really lucky with wheels

Nope it's not luck at all, because 50,000 kilometers (30,000 miles) without a broken spoke is outside of what could be called luck. I guess i don't hit potholes at 30 mph, but then again my bike is fitted with over sized disk brakes (that work to perfection) and i can stop the bike in a heart beat without trailers attached and stop the bike in about 5 heart beats with 6 trailers attached, albeit at a speed of around 12 mph.

Exactly what parts are "breaking all the time"? because few other people would place as much load through the drive train doing Heavy Haul as i do, and i do not "break parts all the time"; in fact i am surprised at just how reliable the drive train is considering the level of punishment that's asked of it.

1. 1st motor broke the crankshaft at the magnet but that was like the only major break down. the rest was just chains that could have been checked in a pre-ride check i failed to do and the main drive chain that was 14 years old I should have replaced when i purchased the used bike off craigslist.

2. back wheel, again probably my fault, it was 14 years old and I should have retensioned it before motorbiking it, i hit a few deep potholes and went off a curb at 25+ mph, it bent the rim and I was able to tru it on my own but the spokes broke 1 a week cause the rim was still bent and I was using the spokes to tru it so some had proper tension and some did not.
Hey Im still learning this crap at 43 years old so dont beat me up to much please!
last time I used a bicycle as main transportation was from 1995-2000. it was pedal all the way then and I didn't weigh in at almost 400lbs so add the fact that the bike is pulling all my weight and the motor torque on the drivetrain I would say i'm doing pretty good.
I replaced that wheel and took my old wheel apart and found one bend in the rim so its confirmed why I was breaking spokes in that original wheel. im going to attempt to straighten the rim and retention it like its been newly re-laced and have it around for a spare.

I like the disk brakes on your bike, as soon as I have $1200+ I want to get a surley pugsley, they have like 4" wide tires, disk brakes, and a 7 speed internal hub gears. I cant see my 400lbs breaking that bike at all!

I like the disk brakes on your bike.
I want to get a surley pugsley, they have like 4" wide tires, disk brakes, and a 7 speed internal hub gears.

The info for the disk brake modification and installation can be found if doing a Google search for "Hayes 9" Adapter on an I.S. mount"

Those 4" wide tyres are the perfect solution for pure comfort and make an ideal choice in a motorised application. My next (motorised) bicycle will have super wide tyres and a Rohloff internally geared hub, or maybe a Nuvinci hub, depending if they can get their reliability up to spec.

The info for the disk brake modification and installation can be found if doing a Google search for "Hayes 9" Adapter on an I.S. mount"

Those 4" wide tyres are the perfect solution for pure comfort and make an ideal choice in a motorised application. My next (motorised) bicycle will have super wide tyres and a Rohloff internally geared hub, or maybe a Nuvinci hub, depending if they can get their reliability up to spec.
yea the ones they have out now are 4.8" the surley moonlander. Im just waiting for these bikes to come out on the used market on craigslist for $500 then im switching everything over to that off my mountain bike. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander
The only challenge is a tall frame I guess since I am 6'4"

Last edited:
Back