Cause of MB Crash Was ?

I live in the country and over a 5 year span I hit 2 deer with my car and 1 with my bike.
Man these things are so stupid (2nd to racoons) when it comes to motorized vehicles.
On my bike I saw it out of the corner of my eye, skidded with both brakes and hit it
at about 2 mph. We both stood in disbelief then it ran off. I got off and straightened my
handlebars between my knees and was on my way. Could have been bad but was AOK.

Whew... I've had some bad ones, all three within the past year.

First, and worst of all, was actually not on a motorized bike at all... just a regular mountain bike. I was listening to "You Might Die Trying" by Dave Matthews on these awesome pair of portable hedphones (KSC75 drivers), and I started pedaling as fast as I possibly could out of the Sonic parking lot to catch up with my friends who were already 50 feet ahead of me in the street. I decided to bunny hop at an angle over this curb onto some flat, white pavement. I'm a pro at jumping, but I wasn't really looking too far ahead on the pavement. There was a 4ft by 6ft patch of the nastiest looking black tar that had these little points all over it, similar to the bottom of a circuit board, but this nasty black patch was actually completely covered by these tiny white pebbles that matched the white concrete. Anyway, I landed on my front tire as usual, but since I was hauling butt at an angle... the front wheel folded and since I was standing up, the torque of my body carried my face right to this hidden, pointy tar patch. I had a chance to scream "Oh Sheet" so that my friends could see what was about to happen, since they'd prolly be the ones to take me to the hospital. They said my face slid at least 3 feet with the bike above me the whole way. I uploaded a picture of the accident in the helmet thread if you dare to see it. I now have a scar on my upper lip from where my lip was split (that's where the real impact was... I'm surprised, yet ecstatic at the same time, that it didn't knock my front teeth out) and there's also a line or two on my chin from that pointy ****. I think they make me look pretty hardcore, tho... so no problem in the long run.
Moral O' Crash -- Always look before you leap, wear your contacts, wear your helmet & gloves.

Second accident was pretty silly and my first MB accident. I was riding at night with no headlight in a parking lot with pavement similar to the kind in my first accident, and there were pebbles spread everywhere, but no real patches of pebbles. I nearly came to a complete stop, then decided to turn around, but I had to pick the place where there was an inch high cluster of pebbles... and down I go, scratching the palms of both hands and my shoulder now has this annoying little protruding red scar, like a bullet wound kinda. That's prolly my worst scar because it's so bright red and protruding. ****es me off that I got the worst scar from going 2mph.
Moral O' Crash -- Get a friggin' headlight and use it, wear your contacts for better nighttime visibility, wear your helmet & gloves.

Third accident came after I stayed the night at a friend's apartment. In the morning, she had to go to work early, so I had to leave. I took a leak and then went straight for the bike, stating I'd beat her to her work since it was on the way back to my house. I was fiddling with the lock and something else, and she got a decent head start... so I start thinking "Go, go, go!" to myself. I get to an intersection, and as I'm turning left onto this wide road that even has a bicycle lane, I look back to check for an oncoming SUV. And before you know it, I turn straight ahead and then realize I'm already at the rightmost white line of the bike lane, about to hit a curb. There was nothing I could do, so I just put my hands out and flew, scratching my palms, which had just got done healing. I was more or less sleep riding... my face was expressionless from the moment I was woken up all the way 'til after I had bandaged myself up and realized I had sprained or broken my wrist. It's been almost 4 weeks since that happened, and I've just gotten 80+% functionality back in my wrist within the past week. I think there's still a slight chance that it was fractured, but I can't do anything about it now. As long as I can do a couple pushups, I think I'll make a full recovery sooner or later.
Moral O' Crash -- Don't rush, don't race (esp. a car with transmission), don't ride if you're not fully awake and alert, wear your helmet & gloves.

Whew... that was tough for me to go thru all that again. I hope someone learns a lesson, 'cause I'm doing all this so you guys don't have to go thru this stuff. I have finally started wearing my gloves on every ride, but the helmet is another matter... I don't wanna draw more attention to myself from the po-po's. I am also 100% alert while riding now, with a headlight at night, and I'll never race more than a straight, visible shot.

I find it interesting reading about crashing

reason -- hoping that if even just one MB rider
takes something home from this thread
that may prevent just -- ONE CRASH

it is all worth it !!!

Happy Safe Riding from - Mountainman

After reading about all the crashes it leaves me wondering about what you are doing for the road rash. It makes me wonder cause I'm a wound nurse and I guess I like wounds and getting them to heal. Maybe this should be a whole new thread on road rash wound care. I don't have time today but if there is interest I'll start a thread on treatment options, but for now remember wounds heal by moist wound healing, don't let them dry out. only use hydrogen peroxide initially to clean, it kills healthy tissue or new cell growth if used past the first cleaning. your neosporins work fine to keep it moist so does vasoline gauze or straight vasoline covered with some sort of non adherent pad(telfa).
I gotta go ,time to ride my MB home I'll add some more tommorow

My method is hydrogen peroxide for the first 2 days or so. Always use some kinda triple antibiotic ointment. Larger wounds, and particularly ones in tricky places (i.e. - the palms) require some kinda bandage. I just found that they have these fancy no-stick bandages that don't get "entwined" with a dry scab. Those are a life saver!! There's also this soft, pliable, waterproof tape with a tan color that holds the bandages on extremely well & comfortably, tho the tape seems to be a bit expensive.

Other than that, do NOT use aspirin as it is a blood thinner. And take megadoses of vitamin C and lil' bit of vitamin E. Supposedly, vitamin E on the wound after the scab is gone helps the scar lighten... but I never did that; the vitamin E was too sticky & messy.

If you manage to sprain a wrist or something, or you'd like to avoid a sprain, drink milk! Everything in milk is good for bones & ligaments: vitamin A, vitamin D, calcium. Vitamin K is also good for both blood clotting and bone calcification. Vitamins are GOOD!

After reading about all the crashes it leaves me wondering about what you are doing for the road rash. It makes me wonder cause I'm a wound nurse and I guess I like wounds and getting them to heal. Maybe this should be a whole new thread on road rash wound care. I don't have time today but if there is interest I'll start a thread on treatment options, but for now remember wounds heal by moist wound healing, don't let them dry out. only use hydrogen peroxide initially to clean, it kills healthy tissue or new cell growth if used past the first cleaning. your neosporins work fine to keep it moist so does vasoline gauze or straight vasoline covered with some sort of non adherent pad(telfa).
I gotta go ,time to ride my MB home I'll add some more tommorow

yes spyke
wasn't going to mention this accident -- because -- it was motor cycle
not MB ----------- close enough I reckon

went over the handle bars head first
much too fast over dip while riding in the dirt
tore large hunk of flesh out of forehead
in the healing process
keeping moist with neosporins was -- very important

since you are a nurse
maybe in the off topic thread area
answers to questions in regards to MB caused medical conditions

but be ready -- ones may also pm you regarding
I knew that I should not have went out with him or her
what do you recommend for this
body part that seems to be falling off !!!

I know - that is not real funny ----

we must be safe when we -- Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Cagers never see you, motorized or not. I ride alongside my kids to school until they cross the busy street. (twice in 2 years almost got squashed by a car making a left turn from a dead stop when they get green) Forget about right-of-way, drivers don't see you!
My other issues are - Too fast for conditions. Wimpy Brakes.

I live in the country and over a 5 year span I hit 2 deer with my car and 1 with my bike.
Man these things are so stupid (2nd to racoons) when it comes to motorized vehicles.
On my bike I saw it out of the corner of my eye, skidded with both brakes and hit it
at about 2 mph. We both stood in disbelief then it ran off. I got off and straightened my
handlebars between my knees and was on my way. Could have been bad but was AOK.
Just read this post, and it reminded me of an incident my then 18 year old son had, in 2001. He worked first shift at a local convenience store/gas station at a country intersection about 2 miles from where he was living - 2 miles by road, but 550 feet lower in elevation. He had to be there at 5 a.m. each morning to open the station, and his only transport was a mountain bike. One early morning, still dark, he came down the mountain on his bike, going as fast as he could get cranking on that steep, steep hill. Very close to the bottom the road makes an 85 degree left bend in a well banked wide corner, so he was probably hitting 60 mph or so as he swept through the bend, Had just straightened back up when a mule deer buck bounced into the road in front of him.

He hit the deer at the shoulder, and launched himself over the handlebars and the deers back, tucked and rolled about a 100 yards down the road. No road rash, his helmet saved his skull, but the buck tossed his head up as he hit it, and one tine of the antlers tore the side of his knee open about 1/2 inch deep and 4 inches long. He managed to limp the last 1/2 mile into the store with his destroyed bike in hand, blood soaking his pants leg and boot. Took 24 stitches to close the wound, but he got the better end of the deal. The deer was dead in the ditch with a broken spine and caved in ribcage.

Hitting deer is never fun, especially on a bike.

Im writing thread from ccu unit at local hospital. Waiting for my chesy cavity to drain to move on to the fractues in my right shoulder, clavical fractured, rib and one other small bone in the back of my shoulder. 15 miles an hour over handlebars to the pavement. I too dont get why 45 to 50 mi. an hour seems like a good Idea. While climbing a small hill I loked in my rearview mirror to see a car comming up fast 40 maybe I lokked forward and had growth hanging out over white line which I travel on or around. The car left no room less than a foot, new law says 3 ft from bikes please dont depend on it. The brush grabbebed me off the bike Sept. 9 mid morning. Went home on the Saturday after the removed first chest tube back on Tuesday for another hole to drain chest. Car never stopped and the 3 ft. thing is optional for most Garmin using, cell phone using, drivers in Ma. defense,defense, defense but enjoy your bikes

Back