RusticoRay

Here we are -- most of us -- just having fun on our MBs
did not even realize until now
one of our own MBer riders was down

we will pray for a full recovery for you
and hope that in a short while
you will be back up and running

many blessings sent from - Mountainman

Sorry to hear that, man. That was also the best tip I learned from the safety thread -- take up a few feet on the shoulder, as that's where most of the gravel, cracks, holes, dips, etc. tend to be... and this also forces the cagers to give you room & wait for totally clear oncoming traffic.

G'luck healing, tho. Amazing how much we're built to withstand. Just as amazing how much faster 15mph seems once you hit the ground. Ride slow. Ride long.

My SpookyTooth bike is finally here -- waiting for me at Fed Ex to pick up tomorrow.

Think I'll go out tonight, and get a decent helmet. Forget about trying to use my old bike helmet. Something more like a motorcycle helmet, I think.

Maybe I'll get a jacket while there. Somethign with bright colours and maybe reflective material.

And while I'm at it, some lock-tite.

I don't plan to ride busy streets at all. A 'fraidy cat. Marked bike routes along side streets for this guy. But that's no guarantee of anything.

Gloves. Yeah, gloves. Thanks Sparky! I'll get gloves.

These are some scary experiences some of you guys, and your kids, have had.

Thanks to Mtn man for starting this thread. I'll all ears!

Brenton

Rider error is at fault 99.3% of the time. (pulled number from rectom)
Mecanical failure can be horrific, it woud probobly be the bike not the kit.
LOOK 200 feet in front of you! Not 12 feet as most do.
Be safe guys.

A

Those of you who have expirience driving as a proffesion would understand, I find on the MB, ya have to think what the other cager is going to do, 2-3 steps ahead.

Cars coming out of a side street and those openeing the drivers side door and ya in their blind spot is scary stuff.

Parked cars on main road and you need that space, then the cagers behind ya won't give an inch, same with busses stopped, cagers just don't care.

Best way I found is to slow, get on footpath, "peddle" and back out again.
I now have permamnent left shoulder issues, so speed is no longer my cup of tea for everyday MB riding.
I don't care, it's a, "I'll get there in my own time" attitude and let them pass. There is nothing to prove except getting from A to B after C and back to A....RELAAAAAX, enjoy the scenery and the extra dollars saved on fuel.

"I'll get there in my own time" attitude and let them pass. There is nothing to prove except getting from A to B after C and back to A....RELAAAAAX, enjoy the scenery and the extra dollars saved on fuel.

Yes Bolts -- this seems to be the healthy attitude for MB riders

if in too much of a hurry -- a mistake may be made

missing our goal -- returning to point A in one piece

and the enjoyment of that scenery -- a GREAT PART OF THE RIDE !!!

as we Ride That Thing Bolts ----------------------------- MM

Worst Ive had is blown rear tires - twice ! First one was scary as H E double toothpicks.
Both cases I saved it -
It's funny... your cruising down a smooth road with no worries and wishing you could go a little faster and all of the sudden one little hiccup and WOW am I going too fast !

My truck driving career has spanned 3 decades now. With over 2 million logged miles I can tell you with much confidence the best defense is to read the road ahead of you. What I mean is think about what is or could be around the next turn or at the bottom of the next hill. Are there driveways or cross streets where someone could pull out from? What about speed? That by itself can kill you. And don't forget about critters. I hit a rabbit on my motorcycle at 50mph and high sided off the bike. I still have the scars from the knee surgery and road rash. Planning ahead and common sense are your best tools but even that can not protect all the time you from people that don't see you. You have to anticipate the the dumbest things that people can do in front of you.
I'll give you an example of dumb thinking and this is the gospel truth. I saw a man changing a tire in the middle lane of a 6 lane highway. 3 lanes each way and he had the car jacked up in the middle lane of the 3 southbound lanes of the NJ Turnpike with his whole family in the car!!! What thought process could possibly tell you that this is the correct thing to do? This is the kind of stupidity we all have to watch out for. I am a very cautious person now. I took too many chances when I was young and I feel that I am on borrowed time now.
Plan ahead and enjoy the ride.

Jim

Back