Cautioned in Adelaide South Australia

All this stuff kinda annoys me - the government is paying lip service to environmental issues, increasing the limits would help to reduce fuel usage etc.

All of this said, it would be quite possible to limit the throttle travel to keep the power to a sensible limit, and an engraved plate stating that the motor is limited to 200W in accordance with RTA guidelines blah blah blah could be fitted as well.

I'll have to bite here,
200W limited power bikes is not enough, it's unsafe cos there is no back up power to get out the way and causes traffic congestion, frustration and the cagers simply cut of a slow MB.
It seems to happen less on a HT MB cos there is ample power to keep traffic flow moving enough to let a cager tail-gate and not get frustrated or not cut off in front when they want to turn a corner.

300W amendments seems to have been flirted, imaginatively would still seem not enough back-up power for defensive riding.

500W would seem convenient when you take into account head wind, oncomng traffic etc to ride defensivley when power is required.

If ya go for 300W it's too conservative and may be just as unsafe as 200W

Those who drive or have driven for a living would understand what I'm saying about our road "manners".

Sanitised glossy scientific/mathematical research and formulations made on some white board by those sitting in some air conditioned room who never ridden a MB means zilch unless practical real-time test riding can form a reality based bench mark, at least.

Last edited:
I'll have to bite here ... 200W limited power bikes is not enough, it's unsafe ... 300W amendments seems to have been flirted ... 500W would seem convenient when you take into account head wind ... If ya go for 300W it's too conservative and may be just as unsafe as 200W ...
Problem in Australia is that anything over 200W is technically prohibited and it is real hit-and-miss as to whether you'll get pulled over.

Therefore, the MBikers need to put together a coherent, evidence-based case for MBs that is readily visible to all visitors. I have proposed a forum called; "Sustainable Transport - ride a motorized bike". Read my latest tome in the "Save the Planet..." thread.

jahmonn - Strange as it is, the most economical and climate-friendly motor vehicle on the planet is illegal on Australian roads. I've been following this issue for 12 months and I believe that the authorities are toughening up.

I believe that the time has come to fully state the case FOR light pedal/motor-assisted bicycles. See the thread "Australian legislation/regulations/ADRs"

The Australian authorities are toughening up the laws because of this idiot.http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24893628-5001021,00.html. Every Australian police officer now knows to watch and crack down on M.B.s.

The Australian authorities are toughening up the laws because of this idiot.http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24893628-5001021,00.html. Every Australian police officer now knows to watch and crack down on M.B.s.
Thanks MotorMac. It's tragic! Every time I see bad press like that, I could cry.

Where are the good-news stories? Mine, for example, I've commuted 7,500 kms on a motorized bike in 18 months at about 120 kilometres per litre. There must be others.

How about putting your support for a "Sustainable Transport - ride a motorized bike" forum on the "Save the Planet ..." thread in the white zone forum.

The Australian authorities are toughening up the laws because of this idiot.http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html. Every Australian police officer now knows to watch and crack down on M.B.s.

MB's is not the blame here. The problem is his unlimited access to booze.

Survey on grog and brain cells
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041108015734.htm

In particular this section of a paragraph
difficulty in ability to understand negative consequences."

He will do it again and again and again until this person realises his brain cells are gone, or he may never realize.
How many others out there no longer have the abilty to understand negative consequences,until it's too late ?

Last edited:
Thanks BoltsMissing. The current situation in Australia is untennable. The only choices are prohibition or regulation.

I personally don't see that MBs are more dangerous than light motorcycles. I think the problem for regulators is managing the idiot factor.

The only choices are prohibition or regulation.

Nup, that is not what I was getting at if you are hinting at legals.

I'm getting to the point that this person's action, to fall asleep on a freeway, whether he was walking, skydiving, hangliding, whatever, but in this case unfortunatley he had a MB, he still would have done somethng crazy anyway. So why is he THAT crazy ?
His brain cells don't exist where, "ability to understand negative consequences", is concerned according to medical research.

He was drunk, but he has other offences relating to a history of booze according the news report.
Therefore he is chronically sick and needs to be informed somehow that he is sick, or it will happen again.
Once he is informed and understands he has "no ability to understand negative consequences" BEFORE he takes his next drink, then hopefully he does his own "prohibition and regulation".
Cos I bet if he was sober, this would not have occured !

Last edited:
...Cos I bet if he was sober, this would not have occured !...
Couldn't agree more. Problem is that MBs only hit the press when someone hurts themselves while under the influence of alcohol. It is guilt by association - MBs are bad because they are associated with offenders.

That is why I've proposed a forum; "Sustainable Transport - ride a motorized bike" to attract some good news stories.

isn't the watt requirment for an elect motor bike only ?
here in the States we have
a watt max for elect
and HP max for gas...
No. Power is power. It's just that it is common in the U.S. to use different units of power for the two types of motors. And, this is beginning to change, especially for small utility engines, and for the VERY large engines (used in stationary generators, locomotive & ship propulsion, etc.) With small engines, you'll often find BOTH units in the motor specs.

1.0 HP = 746 Watts = 0.746 KW

Back