Cdi choices

Rob H

Local time
12:58 PM
Looking for past and present experiences with best cdi' out there seen jaguar,huffy davidsons and some other cheapie a looking for an adjustable any help out there?

Good question, Rob! I have really seen barely any info on the functionality/adjustability of the upgrade CDIs apart from the Jaguar which is internally adjustable.. I have not seen anything like a comparative review of CDIs yet.

I don't know about the rocket racing cdi (the pill bottle case turns me off. don't know how he gets away with that in a marketed product). the jaguar and hd lightning are based on the same circuit but the jaguar is internally adjustable. the hd lightning has a slightly more aggressive timing curve than the jaguar's most aggressive curve.

the stock CDI has no timing curve but in my experience is very reliable if you get a good one (though it sure doesn't help the engine's reliability). I also know from experience that it can handle beyond 10000 RPM, which none of the aftermarket CDIs can do.

Last edited:
My CDI works best with engines that have had the compression increased, which is a mod most people do who want more power.
Why want more power? To not get laughed at if you are pedaling a motored bike to help it get uphill.

My CDI works best with engines that have had the compression increased, which is a mod most people do who want more power.
Why want more power? To not get laughed at if you are pedaling a motored bike to help it get uphill.

Well I would like to pedal uphill very fast. With the engine RPM to pedal RPM ratio nicely sorted (I'm thinking of 45.92:1 which is easy to arrange) so I can be under 100rpm pedalling cadence, and get it just the right RPM to blend the engine sound with the nasty neurofunk blasting out from my portable speakers so that it appears I'm just pedalling with superhuman strength. :D

I'm not sure what "aggressive" means in the context of CDI curve. In fact I don't have a clue. Does it mean it's for high rpm screaming race engines?
I am sure of one thing.. only one of the CDI creators is actually on here contributing to the thread, and on forum week in week out and bothering to tell us about his product as well as offering advice and support for the mb community.
Just where are the other CDI makers when threads like this come up?
I'm pretty sure I know where my money's going.. That is, as soon as I can actually leave enough in the piggy bank to do the big order of parts I need from the USA. :")

Well I would like to pedal uphill very fast. With the engine RPM to pedal RPM ratio nicely sorted (I'm thinking of 45.92:1 which is easy to arrange) so I can be under 100rpm pedalling cadence, and get it just the right RPM to blend the engine sound with the nasty neurofunk blasting out from my portable speakers so that it appears I'm just pedalling with superhuman strength. :D

I'm not sure what "aggressive" means in the context of CDI curve. In fact I don't have a clue. Does it mean it's for high rpm screaming race engines?
I am sure of one thing.. only one of the CDI creators is actually on here contributing to the thread, and on forum week in week out and bothering to tell us about his product as well as offering advice and support for the mb community.
Just where are the other CDI makers when threads like this come up?
I'm pretty sure I know where my money's going.. That is, as soon as I can actually leave enough in the piggy bank to do the big order of parts I need from the USA. :")
aggressive as in the timing is more advanced. can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it's tuned, what the compression ratio is, what fuel you're using, what spark plug you're using, how you ride it, etc.

the weaker the compression, the more advanced the ignition needs to be. (but the stock CDI is too advanced even for the low compression of 90psi and its spark is weak and it's unreliable)
and the spark is weak, and it's unreliable. and the spark is weak and its unreliable)
the stock timing is too advanced even for its low compression (90psi)
the stock timing is too advanced even for its low compression (90psi)
the stock timing is too advanced even for its low compression (90psi))
the higher the compression, the more retarded the ignition needs to be.
a graph of the timing curves for the Jaguar and the Lightning CDI is on my site. (click on my signature link)
the Jaguar high performance CDI is even better for rides with expansion chambers to get the best power/speed at top RPM.
the Jaguar is the only adjustable one and the only one tested on a true CDI tester (to see its timing change thru the RPM range)
it is available from JNMotors, Sick Bike Parts, and directly from me here in South America. the disadvantage of ordering from me is waiting 2 weeks to receive it. The advantage is that the high voltage coil is the best available for this CDI and it comes with a snap-on spark plug cap (for spark plugs with nipples such as the Iridium plug) that is made of rubber so it seals tight on the plug.

Back