cdi problems... motor biker in distress..

Tacklebox

Local time
5:05 AM
Can I use a 66cc CDI instead of the stock CDI that came with my 49cc chinese motor? I found one online that seems to have the upgraded rubber wire that will fit the new NGK plug I bought... My plug wire does not unscrew from the CDI and has no screws on it, completely sealed off and leaving me stuck pedaling.. the upgraded CDI is only 10 bucks, which the new plug wire will cost me almost that... and if I can't use the 66cc CDI where can I find a BETTER CDI than this all plastic POS... thanks for any input

Can I use a 66cc CDI instead of the stock CDI that came with my 49cc chinese motor? I found one online that seems to have the upgraded rubber wire that will fit the new NGK plug I bought... My plug wire does not unscrew from the CDI and has no screws on it, completely sealed off and leaving me stuck pedaling.. the upgraded CDI is only 10 bucks, which the new plug wire will cost me almost that... and if I can't use the 66cc CDI where can I find a BETTER CDI than this all plastic POS... thanks for any input

All these Chinese HT's 49cc and 66cc use the SAME CDI, among other parts. Haven't heard of a BETTER stock replacement.

thanks

ok... the CDI i saw was the same just with an upgraded plug wire and boot... it will fit directly on the NGK without modifications, and its a rubber wire instead of plastic... Thanks I will try that route...

you can put your own wire (they're made of silicone not rubber) on your original cdi. Just unscrew the stock wire and screw a new automotive wire with a rubber boot into the cdi.
you will need to put the little screw on cap back on top of the spark plug for an automotive boot / connector to snap onto the plug.

Hello. I too think the stock CDI is killing my engine ther must be some up grades out there , and my plug wire will not unscrew! I have changed to NGK plug and cap, but still bike miss fires and will not rev out what should i try next????

you should be able to just unscrew the wire....just twist it out of the cdi.
a single cylinder 2 stroke can't mis-fire. it will either run or not run.
if the cdi is bad, it will either work or won't work.
it's possible that you are experiencing 4 stroking.
4 stroking is when the engine is getting too much fuel and not enough air, which will make it run really rough, have low power and the rpms won't go as high as they should.

Ok motorpsycho, I'm sure that i'm suffering from '4stroking' where to start to cure it? I have tried 3 carbs now: the orginal nt , a 16mm mukuni and now 12mm flat slide from a 39cc minimoto! both of these are smoother than the NT but still suffer 4stroking at cruising speed or WOT? bike starts great cold or hot I have also port matched inlet and exhaust so no miss match, answers please thankyou for your time.

to cure 4 stroking, it requires changing to a leaner main jet.
this is done by trial and error because no 2 engines will run the same on the same jet.

To jet carb, correct way is to start from main jet & work down requires full throttle run this is main jet only if still 4 stroking, it requires changing to a leaner main jet.once this is right use the needle to correct running from 1/4 to full throttle this is done by trial and error lower needle is leaner lift needle is richer ,other things effect the running like carb slide ,filter type & pilot jet for below 1/4 throttle.
cheers marksie

CDI's

Not to change the subject now that you're on to 4-stroking. BUT, I have seen the plug wire GLUED into the CDI. Don't know why they would do this, But I've had to dig out a couple of plug wires from the unit.
Shiney Side Up,
Big Red.

Back