Center Kickstand part

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by gearhead222, Jan 9, 2010.

1. gearhead222

gearhead222 Member

Dear Fellow Members-Just bought mine at and it's worth every bit of $25.00! Bolted right onto my Huffy Cranebrook Beachcruiser and makes parking and working on the bike a breeze. HIGHLY recommended:)-Gearhead

2. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Looks great - Just went to order one - the only delivery option to Australia is 'UPS Inernational Express Saver {air}' ??? - price for delivery: $95.68US, Total $120.68US

Something wrong here. I got a 40T sprocket from Canada, 'ZoomBicycles', 3 months ago via UPS for $40AU delivery and a tank from 'That'sDax' delivered via UPS for $43US last month. Two stud kits, two air filters and a few gaskets from 'Sick Bike Parts' last week, total 2.2lbs, (1kg), again UPS, cost only $17US for delivery.

Already, I expected to pay about $70AU delivered, but won't come at $120US, (about $135AU).

I got as far as 'Checkout'. Checkout options tell me that the 'UPS International Express Saver {air}' is the only delivery method available for my area. A PITA. (I love living in Oz, but buying from overseas can be expensive.)

I'll email them and see what's going on.
    Don't have to type much, I can copy and paste from here.

... Steve

A pic of the stand. I'd replace the M.S.? pivot with a high-tensile steel bolt and make a stronger clamp bracket, but overall it looks reasonably strong. (We'll see when I try pedal-starting on the stand, if I can get it at a reasonable price..)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. atombikes

atombikes Member

4. AussieSteve

That's more like it. I did a quick eBay search a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything decent, mostly side-stands and clip-on 'Minoura' and 'Topeak' workshop types. haven't got back to me yet re postage for theirs.

For the eBay stand, postage is $42US, making a total of $57US. (~$67AU) Beats $135-140AU.

Just doing a last eBay Australia search before ordering...

The link:-
  5. AussieSteve

Attached Files:

6. atombikes

atombikes Member

There are certainly options out there. Search for "double kickstand" on ebay, for instance.
  7. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

They are nice for holding up the bike, but don;t try starting the bike on it, it will bend. I had one on mt Royce Union MB ( Now M.I.A. stole in Vegas) the mount bolt sheared and it was instant flat tire. Good thing I was only three blocks from home. Other than that I loved how it worked!
  8. AussieSteve

Thanks for the tip about the mount bolt. I was already planning to replace the pivot because it looks tinny. Now I'll use a high-tensile 8mm bolt for the mount as well.
    Regarding starting the bike on the stand, I'll try it once and see how sturdy the stand is. I only weigh 50kg, (110lbs). If it looks like it'll bend, I won't do it a second time.

N.B. Still no reply from I guess they're sticking with the $95.68US for delivery. Fine by me - they lost a potential customer.

... Steve
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  9. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

I weigh 140 lbs, it bent on me.
  10. AussieSteve

Maybe I won't be pedal-starting on it then, or at least not without strengthening it. Most guys are heavier. I was hoping to get away with my light weight. Also interested to see if I could start the bike without bump-starting using momentum, I wanted to get an idea of how I'd go at starting my engine if I fit a shift-kit. (Very high compression)

Even if I can't pedal-start on the stand, it will still be invaluable for working on the bike. Currently, I put the side-stand down, then jam a broom handle under the seat, braced against a table leg, to hold the rear wheel off the ground.

... Steve
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  11. atombikes

atombikes Member

I just watched a youtube video last night that showed a guy starting his engine by lifting the rear tire and spinning it. I think the video was titled something like "starting motoredbike before leaving work" or something like that.
  12. AussieSteve

My centre-stand arrived this afternoon, just as I was mixing fuel, so I quickly bolted it on and tried kick-starting. Took a few kicks to perfect a technique.

Now, 1 kick if warm, 2 kicks cold - one on full choke then one with no choke. About 1/4-1/2 throttle.
    (I should add that I can't turn the pedals one full turn, it's a matter of getting the RHS pedal at 45º forward, then one good kick, like a real bike. The moment it fires I whip the clutch in - Bob's your uncle.)
    Mine is an 18-speed MB. At first I tried low range second gear and it was hard to kick over, so I dropped to low range first gear - beautiful, even with the billet head. It's great; kick-start in the garage, warm it a bit, then one turn of the pedals as I let the clutch out.
    Had 5 rides now - no worries.
    If I can kick-start it now, I might have a chance with a shift-kit, as long as I keep a nice small chainwheel for low kick-start gearing.

No bending Dan - this is a pretty sturdy alloy stand. The bracket is cast alloy and the 'n' shaped legs are about 1/2" thick-walled alloy tube.
    The mount bolt is 9mm, needs replacing with hi-tensile and the pivot is a cheap M.S. rivet, 5-6mm - another hi-tensile bolt.
    You're 140lb and I'm 110lb, so you might have tried a different stand.

I'm still grinning - this is fun.
    ... Steve
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  13. AussieSteve

atombikes, I tried starting mine by spinning the wheel over by hand on the centre-stand today - no chance. Too much compression. I can't even turn it through one compression stroke.
    I figure that if this stand bends or breaks, I'll buy another and get it reinforced as much as necessary. Being alloy, it's more likely to break than bend, I think.
    After 2 days of kick-starting, I'm never going back.

... Steve
  14. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

My stand was steel, I would rather have to bend it back into shape than have it break!
  15. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

I got the steel one because it was cheap:whistling: (I had limited spending power, now I have no spending power):icon_cry: And I had the same thought:idea:that I could start it on the stand, your right I should have got a better stand and tried that. I will Next time!
  16. AussieSteve

All the same, Dan, let's see how long mine lasts. There's no chance of the legs bending, but the alloy bracket is a bit thin in one spot.
    So far no problems, though.
    I've started it that way about 12-15 times now.
    Just went out and did it again to show it to a friend who's thinking of building an MB.
    I saw a strong-looking steel one at EziRide Cycles but it was $60.
    (I opted for the cheaper one, too.)

... Steve
  17. Stink Bike

Stink Bike Member

Actually our centre stands are $49.95 NOT $60.
  18. AussieSteve

Sorry Mike, I would have allowed $10 for postage in the calculation.
    ie $60 delivered.

... Steve
  19. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

ok where u get ur stand from ?
    i see i can 1 from eziride or gasman
    still savin for a cell mtx1 :ack2:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  20. AussieSteve

Hi Brad, mine was from eBay, here:- Centre mount double leg kick stand.
    $42 delivered.

... Steve