Central Florida builder w machine homeshop

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by thinwater, Mar 10, 2008.

1. thinwater

thinwater New Member

I am way over the $3.99 diesel and similar gas prices. It is time to build a motorized bike. I have a full machine/welding shop in my garage including full size milling machine with DRO, two lathes, MIG, spot, Arc, torch welding equipment and a foundry for casting AL. and all kinds of other stuff. I have made everything from wooden and fiberglass boats to entire machines built entirely from my own castings, guns, knives, trailers, anything welded, etc..

I am not a business and make stuff I need or want as well as for stress reduction and entertainment. I can assist with that custom part that you can't buy.

I have a good local source for scrap aluminum bar/angle and structural stuff.

JIM

2. Will you adopt me? WELCOME ABOARD!
    Sounds like you can make a frame custom fit for you. Look at the reader's rides section and check out all the possibilities.
    Man I wish I had the stuff you have. I have in my mind an old school Schwinn 20 inch low rider with Bannana seat and ape hangers STRETCHED to more than accomidate my body,with a booming system playing "Jungle Boogie" as I roar down the strip mall.

3. graucho

graucho Active Member

Hi Thinwater. Welcome to MBc! Home of many answers, and awaiting your ideas. Ya, please adopt me too! Filipino and I could be the sons that loose your tools.

4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc.

5. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Welcome, you will like it here

6. thinwater

thinwater New Member

I have been searching the site for a pusher style trailer. The motor could be mounted on a little trailer that mounts with a bar to the seat post. The trailer would push the bike. I designed one a couple of years ago but never built it. A guy on Utube has one with one wheel, chain driven that appears to run very well. I have a 3 hp edger motor with almost no hours on it and pleanty of steel box left over from a trailer tailgate I made so I would only need to buy a clutch, the wheel, sprockets and related hardware to make it. The pusher trailer could be moved from bike to bike in minutes. Has anyone seen or used one like this?

JIM

7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

8. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D

9. thinwater

thinwater New Member

Thanks all, the third wheel link was what I had in mind. I also have a 8 Hp Honda from a gen set but I don't think I want to die this way. The 3hp should fly and still get 100 mpg+

Next payday it is on!

JIM

10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

so...it's ramen-noodles for a month? been there...i like yer style :)

welcome to MBc :cool:

11. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Welcome aboard, from another Floridian !

12. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

Thinwater, How close to Seminole do you live? I am building my 2nd bike.

13. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome Thinwater. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I think that the pusher tech is going to get big and quickly.

14. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Welcome to Mbc. Glad you are here.

15. thinwater

thinwater New Member

I am on the Lake County side of DeLand. I can go around to 46 and be in Seminole county in about 30 min.

I laid out my frame today with no welds yet, to see what it looks like. I put a 20" BMX wheel on it and it looks very good but I think the gearing would be way to high so I will probably go with a go cart wheel/axle and matching chain/clutch on the motor. Gear boxes cost to much to buy or build.

I have a take home car from work for work use only but every time I have to go into town for my own needs (like food) it is a 25 mile round trip. The 7.3 turbo diesel (F350) gets about 9 mpg when cold and in town so a trip to town for anything costs about $15 in diesel, oil and tires.

My Motorized bike will cost about $1.50 or less per trip depending on how long the tire lasts.

I have a 6.5 hp Lister Diesel engine I will make a small motorcycle out of one day. It should get over 60 mpg.

So many projects so little time...

16. mickey

mickey Guest

So many projects so little time...

Heh. Word on that.

17. KanesKustoms

KanesKustoms Member

Lets see the video

18. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

19. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

welcome to MBc good luck on your endeavors Jim and happy motoring...

20. jimmyglitter

jimmyglitter Member

V twin

How about casting a base to make a v twin out of two Ht engines? That would be awesome. Can you do that?

Jimmyglitter