Centrifugal Centrifugal Clutch Inoperative

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by gatedude1, Jan 3, 2014.

1. gatedude1

gatedude1 New Member

Just finished completing my motorized bike installation and for the most part it went pretty smooth. I decided before I completed the install that I didn't want the manual clutch so I opted for the centrifugal clutch. With the instructions I found on the internet it didnt seem to be much to it. Well things just went to well for me. First time starting didn't go too well. Choked and primed the carb and it wouldn't start. We checked the spark and nothing as well as all the wiring. We found nothing wrong. then the pull start line became frayed. This was not a good day at all. Walked the bike under my carport and before I went in thought I would give it another try. With this pull it started right up and after I adjusted the needle it idled for awhile then quit. I don't see an idle speed needle on the carb so I'm thinking that the idle set is on top by adjusting the the throttle cable. Well at this point I decided to take it for a ride and to my dismay the clutch is not working at all for I can rev the engine and nothing happens. All you experts out there this newbee needs all the help I can get. Thanks to all in advance.

2. rawly old

rawly old Member

Perhaps it's bolted down too tight for the shoes to swing out. Is it a 2 shoe
    or a 3 shoe. If it's a 3 mounted on a single bolt it could be too loose, but I'd
    think that would make a racket. Kinda weird, I've never had this problem.

gatedude1 likes this.
  3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

It sounds like you need more information as to assembly and operation of the centrifugal clutch.

Do Google searchs for:

"Centrifugal Clutch - 48cc, 60cc, 66cc, 80cc - pull-start/pedal-start, 2 stroke"

"Lubrication port > Modified Centrifugal Clutch - 48cc, 60cc, 66cc, 70cc, 80cc - pull-start/pedal-start, 2 stroke"

gatedude1 likes this.
  4. gatedude1

gatedude1 New Member

You have a good point for I have checked on different forums and googled and found that the center bolt on this three leaf clutch could be be too long and bottoming out on the shaft. Shortening the bolt solved one persons problem. I'm not too sure how much adjustment I should make to the manual clutch as well for the centrifugal clutch to work properly. I contacted the person I bought the kit from on ebay and asked who is the manufacturer and was told that I could buy replacement parts but wasn't given the name. I see different names of these motors . How can I tell which motor I have?

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

For smooth centrifugal clutch operation, you need to ensure that the adapter sleeve is square to the crankshaft when it is fastened in place.

You will also need to modify the centrifugal clutch to give reliable operation.

6. gatedude1

gatedude1 New Member

Have done all of that. The assembly is basically very simple and as far as operation goes have been all over the internet for that is still a little vague. Where I live now motorized bikes are not very prevalent. Cant just go out and ask the guy next door for help. Guess it will be just trial and error and getting to know members here who know what they are doing and willing to help.

7. gatedude1

gatedude1 New Member

What modification would that be?

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The modification listed in the Google search link of one of my previous posts.

The centrifugal clutch is simple in it's operation and relatively simple to install but you do need to understand how it works (as supplied by the manufacturer) to know why it never give true reliability and will fail in service if not modified.

When modified and maintained, the centrifugal clutch gives excellent reliability.

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

A simple trick to know if the threads on the centre bolt are bottoming out, is to colour over the ends of threads with a permanent marker pen. If you see shiny metal on the last few threads after installing and tightening the bolt, then removing for inspection, you'll know it was bottoming out.

This being the case, it's a simple matter of trimming the bolt to the correct length.

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

It also sounds like the manual clutch needs adjusting by the description in your first post.

11. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I think Fabian has it figured out. Your manual clutch still exists on your motorbike. The manual clutch must transmit engine power for you to drive the rear wheel.
    When I installed my centrifugal clutch, I had been riding my motorbike for over a year. I kept the manual clutch operative, cable, lever and all, so that I could still pedal start the engine.
    I hope you get it all worked out before the pull cord snaps.

12. gatedude1

gatedude1 New Member

I just put another washer on the bolt rather than risk burring the fine threads and it solved my problem.IN order to start and operate should the manual clutch be used as well for if I don't disengage the clutch its hard to start. I understand how the clutch operates but I just need to know the whole operation. How should I find your previous post on this subject. Thank you for your help and can use all the help you can give so I will be able to enjoy my new toy for many years to come

13. gatedude1

gatedude1 New Member

Thank you for your response. The pull start cord did break and have fixed it already. Due to the clearance of the muffler and the addition of pull start and cc I just pulled crank and put pipe for foot rest. Cant peddle anymore. At 71 years of age I found pedaling hard on my back legs due to arthritis. I have had a taste of riding my bike today and cant wait to get all these kinks worked out I will install the handle and cord tomorrow.

14. rawly old

rawly old Member

Would adding a washer work instead of trimming the bolt? sounds easier?
    Golly, someone older than I am. I'm startin' to fall apart a bit too, but still
    pedaling so far.

15. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

If you happen to come across a cranky police officer, it pays to always have the pedals of the bike turning. The pipe solution is completely unnecessary as Sick Bike Parts sells wider cartridges to deal with clearance issues:

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=107&osCsid=fcugbn104hskt5rpeaeku5aui7

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=114&osCsid=fcugbn104hskt5rpeaeku5aui7

The more you sort the kinks out, and with the ever increasing reliability you receive for your efforts, the more addictive this hobby/transport will become; in fact it will become so addictive that you will even sacrifice relationships to pursue time on the bike.

16. gatedude1

gatedude1 New Member

30 yrs driving a truck did me in. Can't deal with the peddling. As far as police officers I ride around my RV park which is very large. If I go riding I'll take my bike in the country for I intend to transport my bike to a safe place. Like to hear from members who have been stopped by the police and hassled. To me it doesn't make any difference whether you have peddles or not. The motor is what will be seen and I have already checked the laws and I'm perfectly within my rights to ride without peddles .Anyone know what CYA means.

17. rawly old

rawly old Member

MB's not especially legal here, But I ride by cops practically
    every time I go out. I wear a helmet, dayglo vest, and have
    a flashing tail light. As long as you're riding in a safe fashion,
    I don't think they care. I don't give them any cause to mess
    with me. I'm just that eccentric old man on a motored bike.

P.S. You might try a stationary exercise bike. I've had some
    horrendous leg injuries as well as arthritis. When I started on
    the stationary bike I found the the Arthritis actually improved
    considerably. Eating less meat helps as well. That reduces the
    uric acid build up in your joints. Ya gotta keep movin' or you'll
    seize up. When I miss A couple days exercise, I can really feel
    it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    gatedude1 likes this.
  18. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Ummm, i say ummm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, rawly, can i use that line the next time i see my girlfriend.:devil2:

19. gatedude1

gatedude1 New Member

That depends on if she is involved with all the shoes she is trying on for her night out.

20. rawly old

rawly old Member

HA ha ha! Best not to use WD-40 should that occur.