Centrifugal clutch questions

Heh, just read through your other recent clutch thread Steve, hadn't seen it before. I see you've probably been all over this issue every which way you can already. If I come up with anything I 'll post it. Good luck.

Hi, HV
I think maybe you solved it with your link to Staton, but I'm not positive.
I see they have a Clutch "Drum 2 - 1/8 with 3/8-24 threads" at:

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2607

And, I see they have a Clutch rotor 2 - 1/8 inch or 54mm at:

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2645

If I'm getting this, the clutch rotor is actually what I would call the clutch and it appears it would thread onto my crank since it's a 3/8" - 24T.
Then, what they call a clutch 'drum' is what I'm calling a clutch housing. I'm unclear how the housing would attach to the crank (or whatever) so it wouldn't fall off.
Once you get the housing on, then it appears the BMX peg would thread into the housing just like Nuttsy said.
Can anyone see what I'm missing here? What holds the 'drum' on?

Thanks a lot for all the help!
Steve G
Grants Pass, Oregon

HV
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, I've watched that video several times.
I'll watch it again and see if I can pick up something new.
sweetvalleyhigh says he has solved the issue I'm worried about and will post pictures later when he gets home.
If I get a solution, I'll be sure to explain it here in case anyone else is struggling with this issue.
It's been a lot of fun!

Thanks!
Steve G
Grants Pass, Oregon

Hi, HV
I watched the video again and have looked at SVH's great-looking project and I think I see my problem.
The system on the YouTube video has a U member, bearing and collar that stop the clutch housing from coming off. SVH's ride, similarly, has a plate on the outside that the spindle butts into with a bearing in the end that, among other things, holds the clutch housing in place.
I may need to modify my build to this idea in order to use a clutch.
I really like SVH's design.
Thanks again for reading and helping!

Have a great day!
Steve G.
Grants Pass, Oregon

If I'm getting this, the clutch rotor is actually what I would call the clutch and it appears it would thread onto my crank since it's a 3/8" - 24T.
Then, what they call a clutch 'drum' is what I'm calling a clutch housing. I'm unclear how the housing would attach to the crank (or whatever) so it wouldn't fall off.
Once you get the housing on, then it appears the BMX peg would thread into the housing just like Nuttsy said.
Can anyone see what I'm missing here? What holds the 'drum' on?

Thanks a lot for all the help!
Steve G
Grants Pass, Oregon

Seabillco,
I think what you are missing is the idea that the motor, shaft, and clutch(rotor) are one part of the system. The clutch drum(bell), and drive roller are independent of the motor. You can mount the drive roller to the clutch drum by a simple nut and bolt through the drum and into the peg(roller). The sticking point would be how that setup is supported and perfectly centered over the clutch. I am not familiar with your support bracket system but the drive roller would need to be supported on both ends with bearings and collars. These offer the needed support and centering.
I also don't know the existing clutch bell setup, but it may be possible to drill out the square hole drum and run the bolt/shaft setup through that. Or find a carriage bolt that fits that square hole. Then all you need to buy is the local hardware store stuff.
I know, clear as mud!
There is a YouTube video of a guy that made a friction drive and shows at length all the parts and how they go together. Its a 3 parter. Search YouTube for it with terms like "friction drive"; "motor bike". If I can find it I'll send the link along.
WC
Never mind. That was the link above and you claim to have seen it already. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hi, Nuttsy
Thanks!
Yes, I think you're right. I think my problem is that I didn't see it all as one system.
I think I get it now.
I may need to revise my design...

Thanks again for your patience!
Steve G
Grants Pass, Oregon

Hi,
Thanks for the link. That seems like a very good kit, especially for the price.
I don't think my engines' stock clutches are compatible. They are all Ryobi engines with a 3/8" 24T threaded shaft.
The stock clutch measures 60mm in diameter. The stock bell housing is 61.5mm diameter. I might be able to get a proper clutch with my thread pattern.
I'm guessing it would be wise to buy one of the recommended engines if you get the kit.
Again, it looks like a very nice kit for the price but I don't know how much the engines would cost.
For me, I'm a DIY kind of guy and just trying to figure a way to connect the stock clutch to the spindle.

Thanks!
Steve G
Grants Pass, Oregon

parts

7-29-08
Hi, all
I've built two friction drive bikes but neither uses a centrifugal clutch.
I'd really like to build one with a centrifugal clutch so it would idle but I have two questions I'm wondering if anyone can help me with:

1) What is a good way to attach the drive spindle to the bell housing?

2) Are these little clutches from weed eater type engines strong enough to actually work?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Steve G.
Grants Pass, Oregon

Seabillco, you can get a clutch bell and a freewheeling drive roller from www.bikemotorparts.com and other parts separately. :cool:

Back