Chains Chain cutting into frame and tire

askrere

Local time
3:47 PM
Just got a motorized huffy cranbrook off craigslist for $200. The thing was up and running and worked and got me to a friends house.

By the time we moved around tested it a bit more I noticed sound getting worse. The chains eating away at the tire wall and two parts of the frame all at once!

I read flipping the sprocket helps, but mines already matte side out. I read the stock tensioner is terrible and I have it installed.

I read you can use a thinner tire (mines 2.125) but do I need a skinnier tire frame too? What size is good?

I read the kit comes with two rubber ragjoint pieces (mines installed with one).

I read washers could be used to space the frame.

I read a 410 bmx chain helps.

What is a total novice like me to do?

first, stop thinking and start looking - lots of folks build huffy bikes without this problem

I'm thinking that your rear wheel may be crooked in the frame, but close inspection should show why this is only happening to you & not everyone else.

I kinda understand what your saying, but I'm new to everything and like I said I didn't build this.

The rear wheel does seem off but when I waggle it around I can't get it to clear the lower frame, it's really up against there.

I don't know how to fix what you suggested either.

things you can do are - put some washers inside dropouts on that side - re-dish tire off to the right and adjust axle mount accordingly

but these things are not usually needed for most mounts

can't help much more without a LOT of pics to show how it all sits

things you can do are - put some washers inside dropouts on that side - re-dish tire off to the right and adjust axle mount accordingly

but these things are not usually needed for most mounts

can't help much more without a LOT of pics to show how it all sits

How do I post pics I took several for the thread but couldn't find a post button. This forums kinda different from talkbass.

look for the little paper clip button to do attachments or the picture button to do inserts

Back