Chain Tensioner Chain Guide / Tensioner

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Unregistered, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have a frame that is quite angled with a result the chain guide isn't square. Advice?
    49cc petrol in Universal Frame

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

as long as the chain fits on the nylon wheel, it won't matter if it is angled
    you could mount it to frame and the bend it with large pliers (ie: channel-locks)as well
    but...I have had no probs with the chain running angled on the roller
  3. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

Nor have I, yet; it's been just over 100 miles.

What I do seem to be having to keep an eye on is the roller axle getting a little too close to the rear wheel's spokes... I have the roller/tensioner's bracket clamped as tightly as possible on the chainstay and yet it clocks inward ever so slightly. I have to reposition the bracket every 15 miles or so.

I may just let it settle into it's postion and before the roller axle hits the spokes, remove the bracket, put it in a vice and bend the upper part of the bracket outward. This is on a 25-year-old Scwinnn Cruiser frame.
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

I had the same problem with the tensioner rotating on the chainstay
    the first time I mounted it, I actually crushed the stay a bit, and it still moved !!!
    I used some heavy, 1/8" thick, rubber on both sides, and tightened it as much as I dared before breaking/stripping bolts
    it hasn't moved yet !!!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  5. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Someone else, I think alesterfiend, used a self tapping metal screw through the tensioner bracket and into the frame.
  6. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

Thanks, fellas...

I like the rubber idea; I have some brick red rubber sheet that I've used elsewhere on the bike... I'll cut out a chunk for the tensioner bracket mounting and see how that works on my chainstay.

7. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Re;chain roller "thingy"

That stupid thing gave me more trouble than anthing else. I,ve worked on cars for over 20 years but for the life of me,I could not figure it out. Picture me building the bike but not being able to tell if was ever going to run. Every time I would try to start it,that thing would get into the spokes and tear them out. After a few days and a secound new rim I threw that thing away and cut the chain to fit. I had to remove the rubber at the sprocket and do a bit of filing but this allowed the sprocket to move inwards and rest against the spokes. This stopped the chain from rubbing on the "swingarm" and has never given me a ny trouble since.
  8. bolton75

bolton75 Guest

My chain does not run on the idler wheel evenly either. I have not completed my bike yet so I do not know whether this will be a major concern for me when I get the bike running.

The rear sprocket and engine drive sprocket on my bicycle line up perfectly; the chain is in correct alignment. It is the chain stay on my bike - it does not run parallel to the chain. So when you mount the idler wheel on the chain stay it too does not run parallel to the chain. The chain therefore does not run over the idler wheel perfectly. It cuts across it at a slight angle.

Anyway I was thinking that I might be able to twist the bracket slightly that holds the idler wheel in place so that the chain does run over the wheel better. I'm only going to do this if I feel I have to though. But judging by Azkronic's post above I may not have too.

Has anyone else had this particular problem. And have they just left it?
  9. mickey

mickey Guest

My skyliner has the same issue but hasn't given any trouble. The chain is slightly crossways but stays within the roller edges. I say leave it alone unless it actually causes grief.
  10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Your better off giving that tensioner the flick and going to SA Dirt Bikes(cnr Grand Junction/Main North Rd) paying $25 and using one of these.Their tricky to install but once u get it working u never have to worry about the chain again.
    Also go to the Port Adelaide marker on Sundays and get a KMC Cool Chain(Extreme Freestyle) K910...they fit HT sprockets PERFECTLY and don't stretch.
  11. will_start

will_start Member

my chain guide experience by Will Start

Hey All,

As I generally am hard on things,
    bikes is no exception.

I'll ride that mother like nothing else,
    as tommorrow it may not be running, again...
    So my chain guard wore out, basically.

The bolts head started to flatten the bolt thread.
    So the wheel tensioner (its touches the chain ok),
    would be sloppy on the chain. But it still worked,
    so I kept riding.

The bracket piece bolts also did this, and would
    not hold their position firmly vertical.
    (sorry, I have no techincal terms yet)

The end result of this logically, is that the chain roller
    enters the spokes whilst riding.

This happened to me at 9pm, whilst riding slowly across a park next to a beach.

My bike seemed to fall to the right from underneath me,
    its right handle skid along the ground, whilst my chest landed on
    the left handle, and my leg skimmed the exhause pipe,
    I managed to get my left leg to take my landing
    and skidded to a halt.

My right leg got a graze from the fuel valve,
    my right hand had grazed knuckles.

Check Body:
    No tears, no heavy bleeding, no broken bones !!!

Bruised ego, and shaken head.

Carry bike to a tree, chain it up.

Catch bus in 5min, 2km away, walk 500 metres home.
    Drive back, pickup bike.

End of Story.

Hope my experience, helps people realise how important checking your
    chain tensioner is.
    To answer the question,
    I think you can get away with it at an angle, as long as you
    keep the thing firmly away from the spokes.

Buy new bolts from a hardware store and test them out.
    as spares, how cheap would that be.
    One friend told me to look out for high tension bolts.

If it does come loose, for about a week, I adjusted
    the chain tensioner until, it was just held outside by the chain guard,
    but the chain guard then broke as the motor,
    which causes the guard to rub against your tyre.

Will Start.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  12. There's also the run it without option if you can adjust your rear wheel back and forth,then if you have a single speed use the tensioner on the pedal side. Far less wear that way.
    I wish I could do that to mine but my frame has those quick release wheels that won't adjust back and forth like those beach cruisers and old 10 speeds can.
    Fector that tensioner is bank!
  13. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Fetor, is there a wheel in there or does it just drag across the material?
    I did what Bill was saying, I just put a big set of channelocks on the idler rise and twisted it a hair. Perfectamundo!
  14. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

The chain just drags across but it's a good quality/high density rubber so it should last for ages...i've done 2600Mls with no sign of wear.That in combination with the KMC K910 chain makes for a much quieter/extremely low maintenance drive system.