chain hiting tire

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by billy270, Jun 26, 2010.

1. billy270

billy270 Member

ok i have a 26 inch crusier and its not my first bike i have done..... but i know when i put this one to geather it has fat tires so i am shure i will have a problem with the chain hiting the tire i was just woundering how u guys solved that problem....... thinks

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I've built two cruisers, one from a old Huffy and one bought at China Mart (WalMart) last year. Had no problems on either one with the chain hitting the tire. I did have a problem on the first one, and that was my first built, and that was where I mounted the engine. It was really too low, and the chain rubbed on the frame. I corrected the issue on the second by mounting the engine higher up in the "V". This required a custom made front engine mount. This was also required for a correct engine to frame fit. Out of 5 builds I haven't seen one frame that a engine would fit correctly, and all had to have a custom front mount. A correct frame for mounting is 75 degrees. http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=1018

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  3. billy270

billy270 Member

well i have built 1 so far but worked on many and the 1 i built was an old huffy and it was a perfect fit

4. billy270

billy270 Member

bit i had a lil problem i had wight walls and i would have marks where from time to time my chain hit

5. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

How about a chain guard that not only covers the outboard side of the chain like a standard one does, but also fits in between the chain and tire?

6. billy270

billy270 Member

i know ur trying to help but.... think about it if i do that my chain will hit the metle and make all kinds of noisy

7. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

I moved your thread where it will get more answers.
    I had the same problem, my solution was to drop tire size. You can move the rear sprocket out but you would have to bend the rear arms for chain clearance.
    Search read and search some more the answers are out there already.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  8. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Ron, that's a nice looking build.
    (Your front mount looks good.)

9. Al.Fisherman

Thanks Steve....I don't ever install a engine anymore with the origional front mount. I haven't found a frame (75 degrees) that will allow for a correct fit.

10. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Try flipping your sprocket over so it cups out at the teeth and not in.

11. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

On my walmart Huffy I did that....the problem was that it either hit the tire or hit the frame. Flip it out and bend the rear forks or change tire size.....both are options.

12. billy270

billy270 Member

well thats a good ideal but on the on i built had a flat sproket

13. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

can we try that again? I have a problem understanding that.

14. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

ZoomBicycles sell flat sprockets. I have a 41T here that I never used.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  15. billy270

billy270 Member

i need a reg sprocket the flat one is causing it to be just a lil to close it actuly came from zoom

16. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

OK moderately better....work on writing your post please.

You could move it further out with spacers. Like I said, there will be a point in which chain clearence from the tire and from the frame becomes an issue.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  17. Al.Fisherman

Two things need to be done. First a dished sprocket should be used vs shims (look at the picture I posted). Second look at my build above and the chain to frame issue is resolved by mounting the engine higher up in the frame. Also a different chain tensioner was built, but not pictured. It is a piece of flat bar bolted from upper tube to lower tube used as a tensioner support. There are some that are here the same way.

18. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

best idea.....going to change my bike.
    The spacers I referred to were the rubber disks that come with the kits. some people only use one.

19. Al.Fisherman

I know what you were refering to. The more spacers the more chance of movement. I don't like the idea of just one. I want them on both sides of the spokes. Don't like metal to metal. Mounting the engine higher requires a custom front mount (for PROPER engine placement). Easy to make so it's a non issue to me.
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=6606

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  20. tskrem

tskrem Member

this happened to me a couple of days ago. the chain was either hitting the frame or tire, so what i did was put a 26" tyre on my wheel. because the old mountain bike tyres stuck out and hit. the other solution was bend the rear forks but changing the wheel was much easier.