Chains Chain hitting the left wishbone

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobC

Local time
6:27 AM
Clearly not a good thing as it is chewing into the frame and I imagine it cant be good for the chain either.
I have the engine as low as I can get it. I was thinking about adding a chain tensionor on the top but something tells me that is not a good idea since that is where all the torque is.
Any thoughts on how I can get an 1/8" here?

Attachments

• 20130831_181744.jpg
    20130831_181744.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 647
  • 20130831_171616.jpg
    20130831_171616.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:
i had the same problem with my bike, i left it.. and it ground down like half the frame.. it was a bad bike anyway.. didnt let me down tho..

Close to being flat but I think there is a slight dish with the concave side facing towards the hub. That should be correct as flipping it would result in moving the chain further to the left which is what I am trying to avoid. I suppose the only real way to correct is to modify the motor mounts to move the motor down or try moving the wheel down in the wheel mount. I have corrected the following pics.
20130831_171626.jpg20130831_181744.jpg

I may be tempted to do the same as it has ground down quite a bit until I noticed. I thought about zip tying a piece of nylon in there....

I may be tempted to do the same as it has ground down quite a bit until I noticed. I thought about zip tying a piece of nylon in there....

because its on the tension side of the chain it will slap side to side and grind it away anyway.
the only real solution is to bend the frame with a torch and then mount some nylon

I had a similar problem. I moved the tensioner further back towards the rear wheel. The chain "crosses" the yoke, or chain stay at a point closer to the rear wheel, where there is more room. Hopefully, the pic illustrates that. You may need to add a few chain links to do that. Worth a try to save your frame.

Last edited:
because its on the tension side of the chain it will slap side to side and grind it away anyway.
the only real solution is to bend the frame with a torch and then mount some nylon

Thanks, I tried bending the frame by spreading it out at the offending point with a bolt and nut spreader. I got it spread about a half inch but when I took it off, the frame snapped back to it original shape. I would assume that if I did that same thing but took a torch to the bend points it would stay?

Thanks, I tried bending the frame by spreading it out at the offending point with a bolt and nut spreader. I got it spread about a half inch but when I took it off, the frame snapped back to it original shape. I would assume that if I did that same thing but took a torch to the bend points it would stay?

i would say so, if it doesn't leave the spreader on there till it cools and heat up other places the tension could be

Thanks for the tips.
I was able to buy an $8 manifold spreader. I put to pipe clamps on each side to keep the spreader from rolling out when I started spreading it. I spread it about 3/4" and applied the torch on each side. Let it cool and took it off. Sprung back some but still got the 1/4" I needed. By the way, I realize it would have been better to take the wheel off, but I was in a rush to take the bike on a camping trip....
20130906_103315.jpg20130906_103800.jpg20130906_104347.jpg20130906_130919.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back