chain keeps popping off sprocket

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by madaneerg, Aug 20, 2010.

1. madaneerg

madaneerg New Member

always heard a bit of a "click" once in awhile, but yesterday the whole chain seemed to climb off the rear sprocket under speed and popped off.

I can't seem to get it back into alignment now. & not sure what's wrong as I adjust the tensioner (cheap nasty one) that came with the kit and looks dead on. Then I wheel the bike and it climbs up again.

Strangest thing is when I roll it in reverse, no problems.

Any ideas? Sure it's right under my nose :)

2. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It just about "Has to be" alignment. The only other possibility (that I can think of) would be that your chain has stretched on one side (possible half broken link?). I'd put a straight edge on the rear sprocket and see if it lines up with the front one.

3. madaneerg

madaneerg New Member

ok, like the straight edge idea - didn't think of that. better than guessing

4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

String would most likely be easier to thread through frame. Pull on both ends for a straight line.

5. madaneerg

madaneerg New Member

thanks Al.Fisherman - and thanks for being so helpful in other threads.

6. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

chain

Is your tensioner pushing up on bottom of chain. maby this is a stupid responce but i screwed this up at first build.

7. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Al, I also did that but only on the motor's sprocket.

8. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I do both on all builds weather they look like they need it or not. Had a issue on my first build and the rear sprocket was more of a PITA on then off.

9. gearhead222

gearhead222 Member

FWIW, the stock chains are, in a word, ca-ca. I had mine for about 200 miles and she stretched and stretched and STRETCHED! A heavier duty chain is highly recommended. My .02-Gearhead