Chain Link Remover

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Mopedamauter79, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mopedamauter79

Mopedamauter79 New Member

Where would I get a Chain Link Remover for motorcycle chains ?

2. A motorcycle shop, possibly a small engine shop, Tractor Supply Co. has them.......
  3. Mopedamauter79

I called one in Town and they wanted $40 just for a link remover...
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Yes, that sounds about right - for a large size chain tool.. All specialized tools are costing BIG MONEY these days - if they are a well made long lasting tool.. A chain tool made in China - I would not want - unless it is to be used only a few times.. We had a nice chain tool in our bike shop years ago - different end pieces so as to be used on almost any chains - bicycles to motorcycles - used much - perfect condition till the end - cost today - guessing around 60 to 80 dollars... I wouldn't want to do it today - but - in the old days when money was tight - I used a punch to break chains - it can be done... Happy Riding from - Mountainman
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  5. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Look on eBay.

For bike and HT chains the mid-small Park Tool offerings work great.
  6. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

I got a nice one at the Ace Hardware for less than $20.
  7. stude13

stude13 Active Member

also at ace you can get all 6mm bolts and nuts. for studs just cut head off of bolts.
  8. Mopedamauter79

We don't have a Ace Hardware in Canada.
  9. Huntington

Huntington Member

Do you have a dremel or grinder? All you have to do is grind down the two pins on the link. Then the chain is very easy to take apart. Go buy a dremel with some metal cut off wheels, this is a tool everyone should own.

I have a few chain breakers I use at work but when ever possible I grind the pins as opposed to using the breaker. It's a good tool and works well but often it will deform the last link.

The pins that hold the links together protrude through the sleeves and have a mushroomed end. The mushroomed ends keep the pins from sliding out but also make it difficult to punch out. Simply grind down the mushroom and punch out the pin.
  10. Gimmick

Gimmick Guest

Park Tool ct-7
  11. jmccrury

jmccrury Member

Grinding down the end with a dremel isn't as easy as it sounds. I tried this and still didn't think I was going to ever get it apart. I've never had such a hard time taking a chain apart as I did with the one that came with my HT kit.
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

In the past I used a grinding stone -- on a drill or bench. Not the best - but in times of need - it works. After grinding down - still has to be punched through. Should not take more than 5 min with proper tools - at least on the second try. Today I perfer a chain tool. A bicycle shop - or motor cycle shop will break it for you - for a small charge - better not to roam - do it at home. Happy Riding from - Mountainman
  13. A hammer, nail, and a brick are all you need :) great if you only have to do it once, any more times and its not a good idea but gets the job done ;)
  14. Huntington

Huntington Member

With a hammer, punch, and Die Grinder; I can break a chain in less then a min... got to use the right tools, knowing how to use the tool helps sometimes.
  15. Rain City

Rain City Member

I recently purchased a Park CT-3 from my local bike shop. I spent 35, which I see as a worthwhile investment.

It works great - the important part of a chain tool with these chains is the pointed tip on the chain breaker.

The CT-7, though, I would probably reccomend, similar to the one above but specifically meant for fat chain.

I must have spent hours messing with the chain and a crappy chain breaker! - Please save yourself the sanity!
  16. Huntington

Huntington Member

So you don't like my breaking method. Okay to each their own. These tools from McMaster will help. Everything you need to perform proper chain maint and repair. Professional quality, industrial strength for a good price.

Part number: 6051K15
    Easy-Grip Roller Chain Breakers size 21-60; very easy breaker to use, hardened steel and I believe this model has a replaceable tip.
    Price: $21.60

Part number: 6052K14
    Roller Chain Holders size 35-60
    This is a great tool; it will hold and stretch the chain allowing two handed install of master link. A zip tie will work but this tool is far better. No more half links!
    Price: $18.17

Part number: 6159K11
    Chain Lubricants
    No more WD/40. Use this lube for your chain and cables. Wd is bad for chain and cables but this stuff rocks. A little pricey for lube but well worth it.
    Price: $15.95
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  17. pedalpower

pedalpower Member

+ infinity

there is nothing like having the right tool. it's perfect. the ct-5 is cheaper but I wasn't sure it would fit the big chain. ebay buildyourbike or something is a good deal-a little less than retail and no gas to find it.
  18. strainjpnt

strainjpnt Member

ok this has worked surprisingly well for me first if you have a bench vise take a a very small socket and place it under the pin the take a nail punch and insert the whole thing into the vise turn the vise slowly and the pin will just pop out with out the vise just use a hammer and push the pin out into the socket
    with the punch and hammer