Chain problem?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Jon Kimball, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Jon Kimball

Jon Kimball Member

. My front sprocket moves but then gets stiff and hard to move but then it goes back to normal but this happens every revolution. Im thinking about losing a few links and flipping the rear sprocket so that the teeth are as far from the wheel as possible to line up better with the engine. Does anyone have any input as far as the direction im taking with this? Could it be a different problem? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. sounds like an alignment problem.
    If your not sure Pull the Plug And lock the clutch lever so its disengaged.
    Then pull the MAg side cover plate Put a socket on the nut that spins the magnet (i think 15 mill).
    Watch your Front sprocket make sure its running true and not bent.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bob

BlueCollarBike

3. Jon Kimball

Jon Kimball Member

I took off the front sprocket cover and put a sprocket to that and it turned, but I did not check to see if it was true or not. Im starting to think this might be a chain issue? Thing is I have put 50 miles on it since i bought it last week and this just started happening. I am really stumped

Thanks

4. Jon Kimball

Jon Kimball Member

UPDATE, I was tooling on it today, and it seemed fine rolling but i didnt tweak anything, so i figured the problem may have fixed itself so io started it up, let it idle with the cluth pulled, and then I heard a clank and the engine stopped. It still rolls well so the other problem might be solved but when i let go of the clutch the engine completely locks up. No way for it to turn over. I am furious and any suggestions would be appreciated

5. Jon Kimball

Jon Kimball Member

In one of the pictures I have a close up and it appears there is something lodged under the gear. Anyone else see this? How should I go about removing it?

Attached Files:

6. I would venture to guess that you broke your shaft key Jon... Take the small gear off, and see if the key is in the keyway, I believe that is what is under the gear.. Shouldnt be a big deal...To remove the old key I would use the socket and turn the sprocket the OPPOSITE way to work the key out....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. Jon Kimball

Jon Kimball Member

Is the key the little wafer shaped thing beneath the bolt holding the small gear on? Almost like a washer?

Thanks

8. Jon Kimball

Jon Kimball Member

by the way that piece of metal is a ***** to get out. How do I get the large gear off?

Thanks

9. No the key is a squarish chunk of metal that fits half in the shaft and half in the small gear. If there is a problem it is meant to shear to keep from tearing up the engine. Been quite a few shearing lately so prob. quality control (LMAO) is off on them.........I dont kow how to get the larger gear off. Search under "clutch" maybe find the answer.

10. I sent you a PM that might help Jon.........Best I can figure you use the puller to pull both gears.....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  11. Jon Kimball

Jon Kimball Member

Probably wont know what it looks like cuase it seems most of it is in my gears haha

12. Looks sumtin like this lol.........I have heard they can be a b###h to get on both the gear while holding the key......

Attached Files:

13. rwidmann

rwidmann New Member

gear

Hi,
    Am i blind or can you see a crack on the small gear?Lower left.
    THKS RW:shock:

14. Jon Kimball

Jon Kimball Member

I cant see it in person. How big of a crack does it look like?

15. I see it also. Jon you might want to take a closer look (see arrow) maybe just dirt, but from the pic it MIGHT be a crack.........

Attached Files: