Chain problem?

Jon Kimball

Local time
1:41 AM
. My front sprocket moves but then gets stiff and hard to move but then it goes back to normal but this happens every revolution. Im thinking about losing a few links and flipping the rear sprocket so that the teeth are as far from the wheel as possible to line up better with the engine. Does anyone have any input as far as the direction im taking with this? Could it be a different problem? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

. My front sprocket moves but then gets stiff and hard to move but then it goes back to normal but this happens every revolution. Im thinking about losing a few links and flipping the rear sprocket so that the teeth are as far from the wheel as possible to line up better with the engine. Does anyone have any input as far as the direction im taking with this? Could it be a different problem? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

sounds like an alignment problem.
If your not sure Pull the Plug And lock the clutch lever so its disengaged.
Then pull the MAg side cover plate Put a socket on the nut that spins the magnet (i think 15 mill).
Watch your Front sprocket make sure its running true and not bent.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bob

BlueCollarBike

I took off the front sprocket cover and put a sprocket to that and it turned, but I did not check to see if it was true or not. Im starting to think this might be a chain issue? Thing is I have put 50 miles on it since i bought it last week and this just started happening. I am really stumped

Thanks

UPDATE, I was tooling on it today, and it seemed fine rolling but i didnt tweak anything, so i figured the problem may have fixed itself so io started it up, let it idle with the cluth pulled, and then I heard a clank and the engine stopped. It still rolls well so the other problem might be solved but when i let go of the clutch the engine completely locks up. No way for it to turn over. I am furious and any suggestions would be appreciated

In one of the pictures I have a close up and it appears there is something lodged under the gear. Anyone else see this? How should I go about removing it?

Attachments

• DSC01262.jpg
    DSC01262.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC01265.jpg
    DSC01265.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 241
I would venture to guess that you broke your shaft key Jon... Take the small gear off, and see if the key is in the keyway, I believe that is what is under the gear.. Shouldnt be a big deal...To remove the old key I would use the socket and turn the sprocket the OPPOSITE way to work the key out....

Last edited:
Is the key the little wafer shaped thing beneath the bolt holding the small gear on? Almost like a washer?

Thanks

by the way that piece of metal is a ***** to get out. How do I get the large gear off?

Thanks

Is the key the little wafer shaped thing beneath the bolt holding the small gear on? Almost like a washer?

Thanks

No the key is a squarish chunk of metal that fits half in the shaft and half in the small gear. If there is a problem it is meant to shear to keep from tearing up the engine. Been quite a few shearing lately so prob. quality control (LMAO) is off on them.........I dont kow how to get the larger gear off. Search under "clutch" maybe find the answer.

Back