Chain problem

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jake Miller, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jake Miller

Jake Miller New Member

So I just finished my first build a 2 weeks ago. I was very excited that everything was working just fine and great, but then I had a flat in the back tire. So I took it off and put a new tune on it and put it back on. I started riding and I can hear some weird noises and then boom it fell off and broke. I have 700c tires on it and was wondering if they're any stock parts I need to get rid of.

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

chain fell off and broke - wheel fell off and broke - tire fell off and broke ??!!??

3. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Active Member

Can I get this translated into English please?

Frankfort MB's likes this.
  4. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

Amen!!! I'm assuming by the title of your post that your chain broke, there's a space around the drive sprocket, that if you have improper slack in the chain it will bunch up, kink and explode a 15 foot trail of links and pieces, is this what possibly happened?

5. Yeah

Yeah Guest

Yes, but I didn't have a problem with it before I took it off the wheel to put a new tube in it. After I put the wheel back on that's when I started having problems. I can take a picture of sprocket to make sure it is lined up correctly. Sorry I wrote the post fast because I was in the movie theaters at the time and the movie was about to start lol.

6. Frankenstein

You didn't tighten the chain properly then probably, I try to get a second hand when putting a single speed wheel back, I pull the wheel back very tight, which keeps the heavy chain tight, and get a second person to tighten the wheel nuts. If alone I have one of the cheap harbor freight clamps, that reverse, and press out. Just pin it between the wheel and Frame

7. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

Frankenstein likes this.
  8. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

seems a dead thread - OP never returned

9. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

On eBay there's a part for filling the gap around the sprocket, I make my own out of nylon plastic similar to cutting board material, even if you don't have proper tension your chain won't break again, I haven't lost a chain since putting them in all my bikes, look up (80cc stop chain lockup)

10. FurryOnTheInside

Not a problem, I think most members (and lurkers) can relate to the need for easy way to keep consistent chain tension. :)

11. FurryOnTheInside

Or a bit of epoxy resin might do the job? I might have read that on the forum actually.

12. Frankenstein

Perfect, going to be a dui expert in no time with that bottle opener.

13. Frankenstein

Jb weld is actually a good idea there, I think I'll do that in fact next time I have time, I'm getting irritated with the chain rubbing that part since I have a jackshaft

14. FurryOnTheInside

Switching to 1/8" 410 bmx chain would stop the rubbing as that has a lower profile as well as narrower width. IIRC when I read about the epoxy method it was in reference to the added excess space and even worse risk of *chain bunching upness* that you get with a smaller profile chain. Have to check your drive sprocket thickness will accept a 1/8" chain of course...