Chain Tensioner Chain tension too tight

jmccrury

Local time
5:42 PM
Well I finished my first MB build on Saturday with a cheap little HT motor and it worked great. However, on my first ride I didn't have the chain tension tight enough and it came loose and locked up the back wheel. :D I knew it was going to happen. I was too impatient to remove one link at a time and check until it was the correct length, so I just removed a few links at one time which made it about one link too short.

I can now run the chain without the tension roller like I've seen others do on here, which I like because I couldn't get that thing to stay in place anyways, but my only concern is that the chain is really tight. Has anyone had problems from running with a very tight chain or know what problems it can cause? I've read that it will wear and stretch after riding a while, but I don't want it to cause problems during that time period by having it too tight.

hi jm; my thought is it might not be too tight in that you were able to hook up chain. it will stretch quickly but the correct thing to do is to buy a #41 chain, they come in ten foot lengths w/master for 10-15 bucks. mitch

keep your chain so that you can push it, & it has about 1/2" of play from a straight line, & check it often. i like it much better without the tenisoner, than with a tenisoner . however, if your chain is too tight it will wear the sprocket bearings out before their time. i would check to see how much space you have between your chainstay, & your chain before you buy #41 chain. i tried the 41 chain, but it is slightly wider than my 415 chain, & it rubbed my chainstay, & my rear motor mount so i switched back to the 415 chain. i keep the 41 chain in a plastic bag for a spare, so i can make it home if my 415 chain breaks.

Last edited:
It will stretch big time so keep the roller so when it does on a ride, you'll be able to adjust it quickly during your ride and not risk a chain jumping the sprocket.

Mountain,
You are correct that too tight is not good. However, every stock HT chain I've used stretched about 2 inches in the first fifty feet of riding. Ok..I'm exagerrating but t he stretch usually occurs fairly quick within the first 20 miles or riding and it is substantial.

I just shortened the chain too much on my new build. It will move up and down at midpoint about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch when I push on it, but it is tight.

I fastened the master link without the chain being on the rear sprocket. After I installed the master link, I started the chain on the rear sprocket and turned the rear wheel until it popped into place.

It does not need the tension roller wheel, because it is tight the way it is. Can it be too tight, and still have the necessary free play? I'm used to adjusting chains on bikes with rear suspension, and that is quite different. Thank you.

chain

1/2 to 3/4 inch sounds about right, It will loosen up after a few miles, I wouldnt worry about it. Its good that you don't need the tensioner.

Back