Chain tensioner bracket is too large for the frame.

Oke, the ugly way to do it is to run a small steel rod across the plate of the tensioner using hose clamps or some type of bracket to tighten. I can mock up a diagram in the morning if you need. Essentially the metal bar will hold the tensioner in place using two tubes as an achor. Cost about 5-10 bucks to do

Last edited:
Another way to do it is to run a metal bar (steel best) across either the inside or outside of the chain tensioner and secure it to the frame tubes using hose clamps. If the metal bar has to be on the outside then you will need to get a hose clamp to secure it to the chain tensioner.

I did this for my last bike because the tube was too small however my current bike has a big enough tube to securely affix the tensioner. It ain't pretty but it does work, plus your bike is a nice silver so it wont look that bad as opposed to a black colored bike. You might have to play around with the orientation of the chain tensioner nuts and bolts to get the bar to fit just right and aligned with the rear sprocket. My chain tensioner nuts is on the outside while yours is on the inside.

The metal bars (steel best) are available at Home Depot, Menards for about $2. Find one that does not bend much usually steel but there are more cheaper metals that bend too much. You will need atleast two small hose clamps for $1 each and possible one more for $1.50 or so.

Also, you would want to keep the roller wheel as low as possible. Your chain will stretch and you will have to remove the extra slack from the chain. Keeping it low initially allows you to possible not change the position of the chain tensioner to remove slack.

Attachments

• 2_TensionerBad.jpg
    2_TensionerBad.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 205
Take a look at the spring loaded chain tensioners that attach to the engine. I have had good luck with the one sold by turbobuick1 on ebay. they last a long time, and every body seems to like them.

Ditto what gary55 says. That stock tensioner is nothing but trouble, and ugly to boot. Purchase the turbobuick1 tensioner, money well spent. You'll love the high-quality parts (comes with stainless allen head bolts) and it makes the chain much more quiet. Never have to worry about adjusting chain slack ever again. If you are into looks, it polishes up nicely. P.S. NEVER drill holes in the frame, especially the chainstay.

I believe the tubobuick tensioner would work with a 34t sprocket but as the OP says the chainstay is getting hit by the chain and in doing so it's pushing the chain over onto the tyre.. The Tubobuick won't lift the chain at the critical point, I think.. The solution suggested by banenko would work with the 44t if a 44t on a 20" wheel (lots of torque, low top speed) is what the OP wants.

I believe the tubobuick tensioner would work with a 34t sprocket but as the OP says the chainstay is getting hit by the chain and in doing so it's pushing the chain over onto the tyre.. The Tubobuick won't lift the chain at the critical point, I think.. The solution suggested by banenko would work with the 44t if a 44t on a 20" wheel (lots of torque, low top speed) is what the OP wants.
Your probably right about the chain stay clearance with the tensioner so far forward. Hard to tell chain alignment and clearance from side view. One more option might be the arch chain tensioner that runs from the chain stay to the seat stay. Lots of leeway in mounting location and adjustment. 24 bucks on e bay or 19 + shipping at kings. looks like a good solution, and might be a little cleaner than hose clamps.

Here is the solution for this problem and loose gas tanks, etc.
Go to a hardware store, automotive store or a Caterpillar dealer and buy a roll of self sticking non-skid tape.
Put a layer on either side of the chain tensioner brackets that squeeze the frame and wrap a single layer around the chain stay.
Problem should be solved.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
An engine mounted tensioner like this might work. It would be 100 times better than the one that comes in the kits even if that one fit. Drilling a hole in a bicycle frame is not a good idea IMO. http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-66-80cc-...hash=item2a6b531cc3:m:m-b3lt30KT8w_ql7lB4QDvw
I agree no holes, but as furyonthe inside mentioned with the tensioner so far forward there could be clearance probs with the part of frame that stock tensioner attaches to " chain stay". Check out the arch chain tensioner on ebay or kingsmotorbikes. It attaches to the seat stay and the chain stay with U bolts so no holes solid mounting and no clearance issues. May require some shimming for chain alignment.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back