Chain Tensioner Chain tensioner dilema

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by scorpio, Mar 21, 2009.

1. scorpio

scorpio New Member

My chain stay is smaller in diameter than the chain tensioner bracket. I can get the chain tension perfect, but when I peddal with any force the bracket gets pulled into the spokes. I have searched to see what others have done and did not find any thing. I was thinking of using something like a handle bar/stem shim and see if that works.

If any of you have had similar problems please let me know what you did to overcome this.

Thanks
    Scorpio

2. impression

impression Member

you could always wrap the area in firm rubber to increase it's diameter and also help reduce vibrations :)

3. scorpio

scorpio New Member

any specific type of rubber. The inner tube trick does'nt work
    the bracket still spins on the chain stay

4. impression

impression Member

the bracket still spins on the chain stay

what do you mean by this ?

from what i understand the 'tube' part of the bike in which you intend to mount the tensioner on hasn't got the diameter thickness required for the tensioner to be held on securely...

So use some 'hard' neoprene rubber from your local hardware store.Wrap the rubber around the frame tube area of where you want to mount the tensioner. Place the tensioner over the rubber and screw the bolts/nuts tightly :)

5. azbill

azbill Active Member

I have seen people use a self drilling screw thru the bracket and tube to solve this
    just a suggestion :)

6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

pics man!!!

maybe fab a new clamp side of the bracket, with less roundness..... Like none. a flat piece of metal, instead of a curved one? with longer bolts....buy good bolts.
    just another suggestion & a coincidence... I made one like this today..... didn't take pics...sorry

7. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

hey, if i can find a pic ill show ya what i did with my stingray. mabey itll give ya some ideas. ill edit this post if i find em.

edit pics added. i just flattened it to fit on the box shape of the frame then i drilled/tapped some holes and put 2 screws to make sure it wouldnt move.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  8. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Tapping and bolting sounds like a good idea.

But if you want to do it quicker, then how about a piece of garden hose as a shim?

9. scorpio

scorpio New Member

Thanks for all the tips guys! I just returned from Lowe's bought a 1' piece of 1/4' thick black heating hose $1.38. It is the perfect size and the problem is solved. Same idea as Impression and Bluegoatwoods suggested. Now I wish I had used this when I mounted the engine to the frame! I definately will on the next build.

Thanks again for you ideas and help.

Scorpio

10. impression

impression Member

DO NOT use rubber on the mounts for happytime/chinagirl engines. I stuffed a really good engine that done 40mph because of shearing mounting bolts so many times

11. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

yeah if you're using it to make a tight fit on the frame the bolts will sheer but if its just to reduce vibes, wrap the mounts in inner tubes