Chain tensioner problem

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by chain, Jun 14, 2015.

1. chain

chain Member

Hey so not sure about this but my chain hits the motor mount when it's at the proper
    tension so I mounted it so it pulls the chain down (on the bottom ) and it keeps
    the chain from hitting the mount . Is this a fix or a F@#% up ?

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

never seen that - are you sure your motor is straight in the frame?

a pic would be good

3. chain

chain Member

yea it seams pretty darn straight so I didn't know if it was a normal problem . I'll try to get a pic

4. chain

chain Member

5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

OK, that looks like it will run fine - seems your frame requires the motor MUCH higher than usual. One nice thing is that now your chain can never push the tensioner into the spokes.

6. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Can you slide your hub adapter over to give more clearance or will the chain rub on the bottom chain stay?

Is your motor tilting to the left?

The way you have the tensioner is fine but I don't understand why your chain
    is hitting the rear motor mount.

Your photo is good but doesn't show where the problem is.

Sight down the chain line from the back to see if it is straight.

Also putting a slight twist in the tensioner so that the wheel is not at an angle
    to your chain helps.

7. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

IMO you need to lower the motor in the frame....the position of the carb needs to be somewhat level and its not according to the pix...tht should also fix the chain problem

8. chain

chain Member

Hey thanks . No I tried sliding it as far over as I can . There just ain't a lot of room in this frame and
    the down tube is really thick . I'm going to fab a different motor mount but it works as is for now

9. chain

chain Member

Thanks man , can't go any lower until i make a new mount .

10. chain

chain Member

one day I'll learn how to answer back correctly !!ha Reply with quote i guess

11. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I see no problem with the tensioner at all, just a tough frame to motorize with the inverted downtbe is all.

You do need a different carb intake though, you will always have fuel problems with the carb at that angle.
    Everything is gravity based, not just the fuel, the float and fuel shutoff needle need to be level as well.

12. chain

chain Member

thanks man I'm on it !!