Chain "wobbling" tight then slack to tight again with new spring loaded tensioner

quaternium

Local time
3:20 AM
I have a new chain loaded tensioner (the type with a rollerskate wheel) and upon install noticed that when clutch is disengaged (pulled hand), the chain goes from slack to tight to slack accompanied by a squeeking sound that seems related.
Is this normal? Is something out of alignment? Is my tire going out? I've found I'm the last person to see the most obvious physical problems that are staring me in the face, so advice would be appreciated. I guess this problem has always been there but I'm just now noticing because of the spring.

the drive gear bolted to the rear wheel is not centered. the bolts are probably too small in diameter. rotate it slowly and measure the runout.

I'd have to have my hands on the bike to know for sure but my guess is that your axle isn't straight in the dropouts

spring loaded tensioners can only control slack at the bottom of the chain run while the motor is pulling the chain - any time bike is coasting, the slack will go to top of chain run & be invisible to that tensioner

Back