Sprockets Chain wont stay on sprocket

The chain doesnt seem to fit it. Take the wheel off and wrap the chain around the sprocket to see if it fits in the grooves all the way around. It It looks like it fits correctly in the rear but on the front/ bottom it looks like the rollers are hitting top of teeth, might have been made wrong.

I did take a dremel tool with a bit and take some of the excess chrome off both my sprockets but neither one looked that bad...but maybe its just how I see the chain in the pic..

I would contact the vendor you purchased the kit from and see if he would send you another sprocket...

I did take a dremel tool with a bit and take some of the excess chrome off both my sprockets but neither one looked that bad...but maybe its just how I see the chain in the pic..

I would contact the vendor you purchased the kit from and see if he would send you another sprocket...

I think i will try that. Are most of the companies understanding about that kind of stuff?

Hey everyone! i took the chain and wrapped it around the sprocket and this is what happened... im not sure what to do now. i think i might just have to take some of the crome off of the sprocket, but im not sure if that will make that much of a difference. take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks!
Your sprocket mounting system isn't setup correctly....the convex sprocket should be facing towards the outside,& those half-moon backing plates should be on the inside.The chain doesn't seem to be the correct chain cos it's riding-up on the sprocket...does it fit the countershaft sprocket ok?
http://www.zbox.com.au/instructions.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude. What chain is that? Is that a BMX chain? The reason why I'm asking is that if you wrap a 10 speed chain around a front sprocket in a BMX bike it looks exactly like that.
Did you buy that chain at a Wal Mart or someplace? Is there a chance you mistakenly bought a 10 speed chain?

You do have the sprocket, doughnuts, backing plate mounted wrong. Are there any markings on the links for the chain? My stock chain, which I dont use anymore is marked ".081" on the links. I don't know what that means but you might check that and also check the front sprocket fit like Fetor suggested.

You need sprocket, rag washer, spokes, rag washer, and finally backing plate.
This can take an hour. If you are not careful.

Your picture shows backing plate, sprocket etc this is not right.

Make sure yot also have a bmx chain and not a multi speed chain for the engine driven side.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. thanks for the help. I moved the rubber doughnut to the inside so it sandwiches the spokes like its supposed to, but the half moon brackets are on the outside. Will that cause any problems or am i going to have to take it all apart again? The chain i have came with the kit i got from bicycle-engines.com, so it should be the right one. could i go buy one that would work from just a normal bike shop? or is the chain even the problem? Thanks again!

Last edited:
You should follow the instructions from zbox.com that Fetor posted above. This is the proven way to make it work. Did you look on the chain to see if there were any markings?

I checked the chain for markings and i didnt see any. The chain fits the drive sprocket, so im not sure what the problem is. Im not sure if i can flip the sprocket around because that might bring the chain too close to the tire and it will rub. will it work this way or do i have to flip it and then find a way for it to clear the tire?

About the only set rules in this is that the front & rear sprocket teeth are perfectly inline(or as close to perfect) as humanly possible & that the chain fits BOTH sprockets correctly....other than that u can do what u want.
IF your having chain problems i suggest u either contact the vendor or get a better chain that is known to fit(KMC K910 Kool Chain)
If u opt for the KMC chain you'll need 2 cos u just miss-out with links with 1.
Contact the vendor anyway and see if there are any known problems with either the sprocket or chain cos i don't know for sure which one is the problem,i'm just assuming it's the chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back