Changed head gasket

Rezin

Local time
3:21 AM
Changed head gasket on my motor, but it looks like it is cut wrong cuz the in side that go's around the in side piston is in the piston chamber. I looks like the piston will hit it on the up stroke. Is this right?

no that's not right. get another gasket from a different source or trim away at the gasket you have.
also plane the head and cylinder top with sandpaper and glass while you're at it.

Thanks man, for the info. I'll do all that this after noon. Did not want to put it back together and then have to tear it down to do it all again. I'll post pics of it . Thanks again!!!!

Had no time to put the head on so I gave it to my freind to do .I think he messed up the head. He cut the gasket to fit around the raised ring on head and he also grinned the in side edge of the raised ring off. Now the bike will not start for anything. He f up the seal seat on the head dident he....

Look at this crap

Look at this... image.jpgimage.jpg

I can't think of any reason why he'd do that. just plane your head and get a gasket that fits instead of hacking up the wrong one

he didn't mess up the sealing surface so don't worry about the abrasions. they won't affect it.
click on my signature link to read about planing the head in my "increasing cylinder compression" section.
very essential because the stock head is not flat (or the cylinder top)

also the best head gasket is one you make yourself using an exacto knife (available in hobby stores) and gasket material from the auto parts store. fiber contours to minor head variations.
but the head varies more than "minor" so first plane it.
In a tight spot I have also made one from a cereal box. It worked for about a month. actually worked real good being fiber. the heat finally burned it. but that may never happen with a stock setup because the engine compression is low.

Back