changeing vertical to horizonal 4 stroke

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by lanternman, Dec 30, 2011.

1. lanternman

lanternman New Member

Hey I need help. Can you run a mower engine without a bade? I am converting a vertical shaft to a horizonal 5.5 engine. Every thing is changed on the engine. My friend tells me you have to have a blade for a flywheel. I said my bike friends would help. Louis

2. crazyman

crazyman New Member

Without the momentum of a blade it's just more susceptable to tuning. AKA it's harder to start but easier to pull. I converted a vertical shaft mower engine to a vertical shaft tiller, but I used a cast iron flywheel from another tecumseh, but it came with it's own problems. And that's not including your dilemma of swapping it to horizontal.

What engine?
  3. lanternman

lanternman New Member

The engine was on a Sears selfpropelled mower. I never used the the mower, but it was low hrs., so I thought it could be used on a bike. I had decided on a bike design for the motor. But when it was mounted on a rack to see how it ran in the upright position, there was a kick back when it was pulled. Oh bythe way I changed the oiling system and the carb. Louis
  4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

theres not much to change, is there? just a splasher on the conrod if im correct... maybe a few holes drilled here and there... standard briggs&stratton?

all four strokes already have a flywheel ;) petrol ones, anyways.

theyll all kick back too...

mind you, adding a flywheel of some type wont hurt :)
  5. tjs323626

tjs323626 Member

The mower engines have a lightweight flywheel. The blade acts to overcome this. The addition of a clutch or torque converter will mitigate the kick to some extant. The engine will rev up quicker than one with a heavy flywheel but getting a smooth low idle may be difficult. The stock carb is about as fine as a bucket with a hole in it, but a better carb is available, Lots of parts will be found at some of the kart sites.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.