Changes in MBc Structure

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by Tom, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom

Tom Active Member

As everybody knows, there have been some changes.

To clear the air regarding myself:

I was out of town this weekend with no internet access. I just got back in today and I am not happy to see what has happened.

To clear things up - I am not going anywhere, I am not selling the site, I am not closing the site.

As far as profits go: Yes - I am making a few bucks for myself. The amount is practically negligible compared to my other websites or career. I will disclose all of the financial information right here right now:

Total monthly revenue: ~$175 Including direct sponsors and Adsense. I have only hit this amount the last few months, it has been slowly increasing over time. I was making ~$20/month revenue a year ago, maybe $50/month 4 months ago and about $175 now.

Please keep in mind that REVENUE is different than PROFIT.

Since my expenses are so scattered, it is IMPOSSIBLE to say that I am making $xx/month.
    Here are some examples of stuff that I had to pay for:
    $160 for forum software
    ~$400 for stickers (Yes, 2k stickers cost a lot, especially the ones with clear backgrounds)
    ~$150 for stamps and envelopes (Yes, stamps are expensive, especially when you mail them internationally without charging)
    ~$80 for the last order of stickers
    ~$30 for the first order of stickers
    ~$7/month hosting
    ~$10/year domain
    ~$100 paid search marketing when initially promoting the site

As you can see the site pays for itself and a tad extra if things are going well. For the first year or so, it was NOT. Also remember that this profit is nothing compared to how much I should be getting if I were making this site strictly for a profit. And why should I not be allowed to be compensated at all? I have put plenty of risk and effort into this to make it grow.

Just because I am not around much doesn't mean I am doing nothing. It seems I am always dealing with issues that arise which the general public does not see.

About Augidog:

Augidog left and it does not seem that he will be returning. This was due to a wide array of factors, including his personal disagreements and issues with direct sponsors and other forums.

Although saddened by his departure, I would like to apologize to anyone he may have offended, and remind everyone that his opinion in no way represents my own.

What now:

Morale is down within the community due to our loss. I just want everyone to remember that MBc will live on. Augie was the top dog in the movement, and it will be almost impossible to find someone as powerful and influential as him. Absolutely irreplaceable, but we will have to make due somehow.

Augie deleted several of his posts including all of his product reviews. Augie did get free products from specific vendors in exchange for a public review. Some of these vendors are upset that he violated their agreement by pulling the reviews. I apologize for this and ask those vendors to contact me.

I will be setting some standards with the vendors as I can see that there some issues regarding this subject matter. I want to make sure that everybody is inline as I would like to keep the board a vendor-neutral community.

How can you help?

Keep your spirits up. Try to welcome new members, play nice with one another and encourage the forum.

If you are interested in becoming a moderator, please contact me. I am trying to restructure the whole administration of the board. is NOT going away.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008

2. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Thanks for clearing the air. Try not to spend that 50 bucks all in one spot!
  3. graucho

graucho Active Member

Tom thanks for responding.

Im going to say "welcome" to a few new members. Answer some motorbike questions. Learn a few new tricks, and move FOREWARD. Im still too new and "out of the loop" to fully understand what went on before I joined. I just like bikes and working on them. Plain and simple. From now on, thats my story, and im stickin to it.

As far as the politics go, I just want to one of the guys out in the shop. Im staying out of it.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  4. Papasaun

Papasaun Guest

I smell smoke,

But,,,,, I don’t even care about your “other” sites and even less if the amount is “negligible”. Yeah, I get an uneasy feeling when I think smoke is gonna start blowing. Sorry, but to me it all sounds exactly what Paul tried to pass off as an explanation for his actions. I know, its all just a coinkydink,,,,right? Hahahaha :lol:

Its was fun while it lasted, enjoy what’s left!

Question Authority,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
  5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Regarding the profit:

What I am saying is that if I were making this site for profit, I would have sold it a long time ago since the tiny profit is not worth the effort in the least.
  6. azbill

azbill Active Member

tom, I don't care about the numbers (or the fact that they don't add up)
    I do know that, for almost a year, I volunteered many hours (more than I ever expected), into this place and the sponsors (or their $$$) wouldn't have come if it wasn't for the three of us doing all the grunt work
    I never got a 'thanks for the help' or any recognition for my effort (even a dog deserves a bone now n then) the only time i have ever had contact with you was for stickers
    I have recieved some very nice comments (both public + private) from members, since I 'retired' and I thank everyone for their kind words
  7. Papasaun

Papasaun Guest

8. Tom

Tom Active Member

I don't keep careful records here regarding the finances since I don't really care that much. All I know is that I was LOSING money out of MY POCKET for about a year and a half until I finally started to break even.

My numbers don't quite "add up" if you ignore the fact that they are mostly approximations that I was able to recall regarding the debits and credits relating to this site. The income and expenses are NOT stable and have been changing dramatically over time.

Also, many are ignoring the fact that I do have the right to make a profit. I came up with the idea, and I risked my own time, effort and capital to get this thing going.

Please drop the issue of finances since this is not getting us anywhere and should not be a public matter. I only disclosed some basic financial information because people were asking questions and I have nothing to hide. I didn't think that people would try to pick apart my numbers and ignore key evidence.

Lets focus on the main issue: the fact that we lost our leader and need everyone to pitch in and help guide the forum in the right direction.
  9. azbill

azbill Active Member

Tom, could you please remove my name from the moderators list
    I don't want people to think I am still doing it anymore
    thank you
    I only want to be a member, nothing else
  10. azvinnie

azvinnie Guest

hay tom why don't you pitch in do the work? since you own the place. we lost our leader cause you went to the clonee site. your the one who got this whole ball rolling. you should think before making a move like that. and now you want everyone here to help guide and clean up your Shiit. you do it! and l hope you have time on your hands cause it's gonna get crazy around here...............
  11. Thanks for responding,Tom. We all know people are really hurt by all the developments even though on the personal end were but spectators in this.
    I'm still hoping down the line things will all work out.
  12. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

Thanks Tom..

Thanks Tom. We appreciate all your help. are correct. Life goes on... Enjoy the ride..
  13. mtbforlife

mtbforlife Member

wow all this and i was only gone a day or so:confused::confused:
    hope this dose not affect the motor bike community:confused: dont worry tom thare are tons of knowledgable motorbikers on this website we can all do our part to keep this site up and running well.

good luck to everyone you to tom.:grin:
  14. Stryker

Stryker Guest

I love all the self righteous saints that are on this site. I am sure you all work for free, give up all your spare time to save the starving children in Africa and help bake pies for the homeless when your not working on your happy fun time smoker. Tom makes a descent website, puts a couple of adds that sell merchandise that I for one am interested in, and god forbid he brakes even.
    The fact of the matter is that, what Tom makes for creating this website is no ones business but his own. Asking what he makes is just bad form. As for other websites that have the same content, google any subject, any at all and you will find thousands of similar forums. Just for effect google Moped forum, lots of choices. So pick through and pull out whatever you might find useful and get over it. The more websites the better, the more awareness of the MBC the more cool products become a reality, IE things that cost a chunk of cash to create for example the Nuvinci hub.
    I don't work for free, and i am quite confident that most of you don't either.
    I have learned a ton from this website and will continue to visit and check out the new rides.
  15. Stryker,with all due respect,the main self righteous dude that left us worked for free I think. Yes,he got free stuff. I mean I'm not gonna BS you here. I would LOVE to test and KEEP all this wonderful stuff,man. And this is why people are looking up to Mr Self Righteous Man of the week. Because he could have chosen the easy route and remained friends to all his...brothers and just done what was asked whatever it may be were really just spectators here to this mess. I'll tell you right now that MOST of us would go the please whatever your friends and vendors want for you to do and you will be rewarded route. I would if it meant I get stuff. I'm not very proud of that statement.
    See but that's NOT what he did. He put his standards above EVERYTHING else even if it meant losing his brothers.
    I really don't know if I could do I don't have the cahones,man. :grin:
    And that's why Mr self righteous get's attention. Whatever it was that waved heavier than his circle of friends that was worth losing so much you simply have to respect him for it.
    I don't want to stir the pot anymore. In fact,this is like my final 2 cents in the whole matter. For people to dislike him that's cool. But for me,how can you dislike someone that will stand up to his principles whatever it takes?
    That's integrity,man.
    That's integrity.
  16. azbill

azbill Active Member

very well said LF
  17. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

amen large :)
  18. Papasaun

Papasaun Guest

No Free Lunch

No Free Lunch

Seems there is a misunderstanding here.

When a vendor sends a product "sample" for inspection and review, it is NOT for FREE!
    The time it takes to use and evaluate the product is the exchange medium. Just because its not a Dollar exchange, does NOT make it a FREE item.

My hat is off for THE MAN, who chose to stand tall and not bow to demands of the few who mistakenly think they had something to hold over him.

I say, RIGHT ON AUGIE!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  19. BSA

BSA Guest

Here here. Some common sense in the matter at last.
  20. azbill

azbill Active Member

apparently, some people here still value integrity
    I am proud to be associated with THEM :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.