Chatbox?

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by ozzyu812, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

The other site has one and its pulling me over to the Darkside. LOL

The Chatzy thing is a pain. You've got to go to another site type in your username, remember the password only to find that no one is there.

2. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

It would be cool having like other sites I have seen a way to chat with members privately rather than a group chat though that is nice to

3. S.PadreSurfer

S.PadreSurfer Member

amen

A chat box would be pretty cool
    :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Not a bad idea. I'll get one going right now.

5. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

how do we access chatbox?

6. augidog

augidog Banned

it should be visible at the top of the main page...after you're logged on you should be able to post.

7. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Thanks Tom!
    I was really surprised!

8. augidog

augidog Banned

not making this up, and NOT happy.

yesterday, i rode past a couple young boys waiting for the bus with their bicycles...i got that slack-jawed look, you know what i mean. so, i go home and blast back with a couple MBc stickers: "hi guys, here's a site where you can learn a lot about these things. i know you're not old enuff to ride yet, but this site is kid-safe, no sex drugs violence or cussing...ask your parents to have a look."

i sure hope they didn't come in last nite, because they would have seen a member of notoriety spouting off about a current issue within the group...using censor-workarounds to call someone names, ranting about how staff should change rules to meet his personal "needs"...all right there on our front-page for the visitor to see. and...a moderator was right there, doing nothing.

considering how it's being used and what kind of impact it could have on our reputation, i don't like this (viewable by the public) chat-feature, not one little bit.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. MacTac

MacTac Banned

So, what your saying is the chatbox should not be available for the visitor to see? Then what? Once signed in as a member, the kids parents WILL see what is going on,,, and the then the difference will be,,, what? Seems to me that it all boils down to the same thing,,,,, change what is happening here, Not the forum.

10. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

could make the chat available

only to members with 50 or 100 post ???

think this would do away with the fly by night -- ((( one's lacking upstairs )))

ride the MB

11. augidog

augidog Banned

well, there is that option, BUT that requires group-consensus on our image, OR a tougher staff...apparently, we have neither at the moment.

nothing wrong with requiring an extra-step to enter chat, with a disclaimer.

PS: the chat feature IS a recent change to the forum, maybe change isn't always good?

12. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I don't plan to chat, have it clicked off at the top so I don't even see it. Heck, I don't even know when the feature was added.

BUT, this morning, it took nearly 26 minutes from when I clicked to "submit" with 4 pictures for the thing to publish. Yesterday, with a few more picture, it took over 20.

If all this chat bot business is causing it, well.....

I mean, one site can't have EVERYthing. Chat is like the least valuable feature I've seen yet.

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

06:59 AM Guest
    Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

07:04 AM Guest
    Viewing Thread
    Villiers attachment on 1950s Phillips

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

07:04 AM Guest
    Viewing Thread
    prototype ghent cruiser parts

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

Viewing ChatBox
    ChatBox

13. ENO

ENO Member

I agree Mountain Man..We dont want any goats having access to a keyboard and taking up space that should be used for us who want to "chat"..about MBc things (mainly)..No more about past 1939 ****tators..(typo).. ENO (Oz)

14. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

we like motor bike things

that's true -- change is not always good
    but -- in this case it seems that many here on site
    have already began to enjoy the chat

I have been there a couple of times -- it's pretty cool
    adds a whole new dimension here -- that's for sure

MM does not know much about computers -- programs etc
    can't the chat feature be set in some kind of way
    so as to only let in members with 50 posts or more
    from what I have seen
    fly by nighters don't stick around that long

we like motor bike things

15. augidog

augidog Banned

maybe...the (responsible) users themselves can speak up (publicly & immediately) when they see the above-mentioned behaviors? i did, it shut the offender down, at least for a spell. i also addressed it with the involved moderator.

this group, like the entire movement, needs to learn that a little self-regulation beats forced-regulation any time.

16. bamabikeguy

Seems like it would be just as easy to have a "chat link" that sends you off-site, no reason it should be under this umbrella, especially if it is clogging the tubez.

17. augidog

augidog Banned

paul, about yer upload problem...are you still on dial-up?

18. bamabikeguy

Yeah, I'll always be cursed with dialup, BUT, curiousity got to me, and I looked in that Chat thing...

HITLER.???..how much further from a hobby can you get than friggin Hitler???.

Useless it looks like to me, no way to moderate, no purpose other than "entertainment" when this is supposed to be UN bogused.

Hitler is bogus, and chat looks that way to me. Just my opinion.

19. augidog

augidog Banned

there's your main problem...if you're taking a high-resolution pic, then uploading it before re-sizing, you have to upload the entire HUGE file and let the board-software do the resizing. no way that can be fun on dial-up.

i think the chat is a groovy social-plus, but i have (imo) valid concerns about putting it up on the front page.

20. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Augi, if you look at the archive, they were talking about someone whose name was actually D**k. That is why both members in question used a workaround. As to the moderator (me) not doing anything, I didn't mention anything about the censor workaround because of that. Regarding the rant, he was blowing off steam and I should have shut it down, but I didn't. Maybe because it was a friend blowing off steam, I didn't do my duty as I should have. Guilty as charged, and I apologize to all.