Clutch Cheap clutch repair

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Bob K, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Bob K

Bob K New Member

My clutch slipped a bit on full power uphill runs. New motor, properly adjusted clutch, properly adjusted cable.
    I take the clutch apart and I see rough, nasty looking pink pads. Based upon other people's experience, I removed the pads and
    I saw more cheap chinese manufacturinng. They just CRAMMED the pads into the clutch. The back pressure plate was not even engaging!
    See the picture. I alternated the pads front and back so you can see where no contact was made on the back sides of the pads.
    The other picture shows the ridge that held the pads away from the back pressure plate. I cut off the ridge, sanded the pads to be within + or - .oo5"
    of each other. I then hand sanded each pad to smoothly fit into the clutch ring. The clutch now works PERFECTLY. Like I said , others have
    said this is the fix and I am now a beliver. Look at how nasty those stock pads look! Just a razor blade and some 100 grit sandpaper ( and about 40 minutes!)
    004 (2).jpg 001 (2).jpg

2. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

A more simple fix is to turn the flower nut in by two index points then reinstall the locking screw with Loctite 222.
    If you have non rubberised clutch pads, start the engine and engage the clutch whilst applying full throttle and 4,000 rpm for 10 seconds with the brakes held on hard so the clutch is forced to slip. This will seat all of the clutch pads and take off the high spots.
    If the clutch still slips, repeat the above procedure a second time.

Your clutch will never slip again.

3. wally

wally Member

Fabian, if the pads are too tight in the housing how is your suggestion going to remedy that? That is what Bob K is on about, not the un-even pads.

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

because the clutch action is only transferred from a single friction face; from the clutch pads to the actuating disk. So long as you have all 15 clutch pads in contact with the clutch actuation disk, you will have the maximum friction area available to transfer torque.

If you really want to push the pads home (and have non rubberised pads) simply tap the pads with small bradding hammer. The excess pad material will break away and seat all the way home.

5. Bob K

Bob K New Member

The pink pad material is a bit "crumbly". Truly, you can snap and crumble them in your hands.
    Tapping with a hammer would be a bit "ghetto". It would work until the pads wore down and then
    you would be back to losing clutch contact on the back friction surface again.. Free floating is the way to go
    in the long run. Your results may vary...

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Looking at your reply i can see that the clutch pads are not the "good material", which is the older asbestos and wire impregnated clutch pads.
    These pads are very hard to get now, but it is worth going the extra mile to try and find the asbestos impregnated pads because they "just work", even though you do need to use precautions installing them, for obvious reasons.

I found one supplier with old stock and bought all 12 of his replacement asbestos and wire clutch pad sets, and i'm not parting with them for the love of money.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. wally

wally Member

asbestos ? I doubt it. It is supposed to be highly toxic (lung desease)

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

That's exactly what asbestos is: highly toxic, but it works terrifically well and so do the clutch pads, if you can still get them. Obviously they were not advertised as containing asbestos and neither were the early motor bicycle engines with asbestos laced clutch pads, but then again neither are metal products from China melted down in a furnace with a little radioactive waste material mixed in at the plant; the very metal that then goes into making steel rebar or pots and pans, sold at bargain basement prices at bargain basement retail outlets.

9. Bob K

Bob K New Member

Radioactive pots and pans? Cool!
    I now have a reason to break out the old Gieger counter!
    $1 stores, here I come.
    I'll survey my motor too!

10. relaxxx

relaxxx Member

I really really really hope my pads are not asbestos! When I first got my motor I has slippage issues and a took the front plate disk and scored the hell out of it with a box cutter blade. I've blasted the dust particles out with air a couple times when I take the cover off to adjust.

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I have no idea if your clutch pads contain asbestos, and i have no idea if the clutch pads in my previous engines contained asbestos, but what i do know is that the clutch pads i purchased may very well contain asbestos, considering the vendor refused to let me take the pads out of the heat sealed plastic bags whilst in his presence, making comment that the dust was dangerous, but the pads work really well.

In saying, i treat the the product as if it were asbestos, employing sound safety procedures to prevent fibres getting airborne; and if working on the clutch, i'm constantly soaking the entire area in alcohol.

12. wally

wally Member

IMHO the asbestos scare is over rated. The amount of dust after blowing it out, again IMHO, won't cause any problems. These people that have been affected worked for YEARS in an atmosphere laden with fibres, like that Aus women who died after drinking 10Lt (3USGal) CoCa-Cola per day. The gold miners are also starting to complain about the dust.

13. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Completely agree with you. Many people have smoked all their life and lived to old age, many people have taken to drink excessively and lived to old age, many people have worked in the asbestos industry and lived to old age, and many people have done all of these things and lived to old age, though maybe not in idealistic health.

There is so much asbestos hanging around in the environment from use up to the 1980's and the aviation industry is still certified to use asbestos products in certain applications because of it's excellent properties.

In fact asbestos use has not been phased out completely, to this day:

http://www.asbestos-attorney.com/asbestos_today.htm

It is not widely publicised but talcum powder has a small fractional percentage of asbestos as both minerals occur together. Women who slather themselves in the stuff are at greater risk of developing reproductive cancer:

http://www.organicformulations.com/160/Talcum-Powder-and-cancer

and we haven't even got onto the subject of the use of depleted uranium as ballast on the control surfaces of civil and military aviation systems:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/1776318/

but i would be more concerned about the effects of GMO foods and the dangerous effects of massively over prescribed mental health drugs and antibiotic medicines.

Yes, asbestos is a deadly product if enough of it gets into your lungs and your body has a low irritant threshold, but there is no escaping asbestos fibres floating about as tons and tons of the stuff has been pumped into the environment from the 1940's through to the 1980's

With appropriate precautions asbestos can be safely handled.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  14. Bob K

Bob K New Member

I can guarantee that you will have no health issues whatsoever with those little itty bitty pads.
    ( used to work in the industry and my spirographical lung test last week left me at 105% capacity)
    (spirograph test: blow through the tube until you feel like you are going to pass out, look it up.

I cannot say the same for when you actually ride the bike...:helmet:

15. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

at least i concurr with the 2nd page on this new interesting topic!

yes, asbestos, a mineral, a rock, forming fibrous strands, unlike mica, which forms flat sheets. it is the nature of these fibres that is the danger. the stuff itself is completely inert. its used because its a rock, it doesnt burn. (ok...sulfur is also a rock...shutup).

mica, talc, asbestos. all very similar in composition. more a matter of prevailing conditions at the time as to what will form..

the fibres in brake/clutch pads form tough grippy fibres embedded in a binder, that are resistant to heat. perfect.

it makes a good insulator. stick a lump of asbestos into a blender and you got some nice fibrous material just like cotton wool but tougher!

all this hoo haa about asbestos annoys me.

consider one friend, an old mechanic. from the days of blowing out brake drums with airlines...in big workshops with no dust extractors...

some of his old work colleagues have died from emphysemia or similar respiratory diseases. he smoked as well as breathing in just as much asbestos as those guys...his lungs are fine. his backs stuffed but! :p some of his old colleagues have died from other, non asbestos related ailments too! amazing!

some people are affected, others arent. while it should be avoided, its not necessarily a bad thing. just its inappropriate useage and peoples ignorance, as usual...

now GM? genetically modified organisms? they are completly and utterly wrong. wrong. wrong. that they are allowed into our food system is one of the biggest blunders in human history. we'll find out one day i guess...

radioactive waste in china foundries? entirely plausible! nukes are humanities second biggest blunder, and just like all these cooking shows, noone ever contemplates the waste produced... sewerage disposal, uranium "23whatever it is" after its exhausted disposal... nah, just dig a deep hole, it will be fine...

would explain why it welds so badly!

16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Not just plausible, it's a virtual certainty because this is what is being officially proposed in America:

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/01/government-to-dispose-of-radioactive-waste-by-putting-it-in-our-silverware.html

and this is the inescapable fact of what is happening, even with waste control guidelines:

http://www.consumer.org.my/index.php/products/106-household/205-radioactive-metals-in-consumer-products

so

it's a virtual certainty that Chinese foundries (or foundries in 3rd world countries) will be processing radioactive material in with their steel production.
    No one would bother testing for radiation levels in construction metals so higher level radioactive substances could be thrown into the melting pot, which is such a convenient way of solving the ever escalating radioactive waste issue, except for everyone who comes into contact with the finished product.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013