Bike Security Cheap, secure Keylock ignition switch

Discussion in 'Stolen Bicycles & Security' started by KCvale, May 1, 2010.

1. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I know there are topics here about keylock switches, all I seen involve running a pair of wires to a switch somewhere.
    Nice and all, but easy to defeat.

This is what I used to make mine.

[​IMG]

It is just the Keyboard Keylock switch you used to see on old beige desktop PC's, usually it was right next to the Turbo button.
    (Ya, a long time ago, but that is when I started my computer business)

The point was to put the switch right in line with the coil ground wire where it enters the unit.

I could have just epoxied it like that but, but Radio Shack has little plastic project boxes for about $3 so I used part of one of those.

[​IMG]

I epoxied the box on and that was that.
    Note I used a longer nicer looking shielded wire to the motor, what the heck right?

The key comes out in on or off position, so no dangling key, and no indication to someone else of the status.
    Also, you can't hot wire it.
    Even if you somehow break my epoxy filled box off, it will take the wires to the coil with it.

Cheap, easy, and secure.

2. loquin

loquin Active Member

Great idea. The only point I would add is to make sure you have a working coil first... It would suck to buy a new coil, add the switch/housing/epoxy, and THEN find out that the coil is a dud...

3. KCvale

Absolutely Crucial Point! Well done loquin ;-}
    Your MB should run before you do this, and THEN, wire it up but DON'T EPOXY IT UNTIL YOU TEST IT AGAIN!.
    With this design, once it's glued that's it. The wires will snap at the CDI if you try to take it off.

One other tip, once you test it in place but not glued it, rotate the keyswitch for where you want it aligned by where you mount it.
    I find that 12 or 6 O'clock for on, and 3 or 9 O'clock for off is perfect. It is just like the gas line valves ;-}

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Hook the 2 wires together going to the key switch and..............?

5. KCvale

Not both wires, just splice the switch in-line with one of them, the black ground wire at the CDI.
    The CDI is isolated and won't function without it's own ground wire.
    Turning the switch off simply removes the ground.

6. CJ5

CJ5 New Member

Couldn't you just put the whole CDI in a Dashboard box on the stering wheel by extending the wires and installing a Spark plug wire so the whole CDI and Keyswitch is protected.

7. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

Granted that is a good idea, and incredibly affordable. But, those locks aren't functional to my own liking... I've unlocked them with nothing more than paperclips or moose hairstyling product tips...

Now, a lot of this would be much more secure with inframe wiring, and as well - if we could lock the clutch from being disabled.

8. CJ5

CJ5 New Member

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking, maybe there could be a way to electronically lock the clutch, that way it would be impossible to get it to roll. Giving the owner more time to catch the perp.

But how do you make a cable nonfuntional, electronically or maybe just the lever?

Concerning your comment about in frame wiring you could use stuff that covers commercial Romex wire which is covered by a uuuuu... looks like snake metal armor... thats my best discription, but you can buy it separtely and you can still cut it to any length that you would need and it flexs really well. I think it comes in different sizes but don't quote me on that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

So, there's that cable stay thing for the clutch attached to the motor. Taking a SECOND cable lock, like for the clutch arm, put it between that motor mounted cable stay thing and the clutch arm. When you're away from the bike, screw it down. And, use a torx screw, or another kind of security screw. And I'm sure giving it enough thought we could find a way to key it.

10. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

Can the computer switch be vibrated into an off position, killing your own bike?

11. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

No chance of that, they're secure, but when pressure is applied you can pick it. They're not "key specific" locks. There's just one master key that will open every single one.

12. Dave C

Dave C Member

The best keying option, at least for me, is a snowmobile key setup. Locked on a snowmobile is actually completing the grounding-out circuit on the killswitch. Pull the wires out though and the bike will start but most people wouldn't know that, they'd just see a keylock.

13. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

I'm still pondering ways to key the clutch's lever. That would be very secure. It could be force started ingear, but it'd be tough. I know I've done it when my clutch cable snapped, but it wasn't a fun ride back (okay, it was fun, but I don't want to do it again). But, keying it to disable the coil AND locking the clutch, they'd never pedal that thing away. It does worry me though, that all it would take is bolt cutters to get through the lock and a pickup bed to throw it into...

Lets get to the super serious side of this. I know it's fun and smart to be thinking how to lock our bikes... but what's the most secure bike lock?

Is there a bike lock out there that will hold up to a grinder, bolt cutters, gunshot, jaws of life?

Cause that's what's going to keep our bikes secure.

14. Dave C

Dave C Member

I have the thickest Kryptonite cable lock they make, I believe. It's 1/2 inch thick cable with a thick plastic cover and a 4 number key that you can set to your own code. It's coiled and doesn't like to uncoil, sorta hard to thread it through the spokes. I'm thinking on a motion screecher but bikes get moved a lot even locked in a bike rack...

15. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

I'm pretty stoked with my own Kryptonite lock, it's a half inch counting the rubber sleeve around the cable. To coil it through the spokes, I just "drill it" like a corkscrew halfway down the cable, works well. I try to pass through the frame, the back wheel and the tree/signpost/bike rack. I figure, if someone had a truck, they could take one wheel off and toss it in if it's just through a wheel. Usually I like to use two locks, but I have a new bike for that second lock. I figure a lock is a deterrent first, and a delayer second. The extra time it takes to go through two locks might be enough for someone to notice.

16. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

I've seen people lock a U-lock through the rear rim, around one chain stay, and around the post, sometimes with the front wheel removed and locked between chain stay and post. The frame or wheel and tire would have to be cut to remove the bike.

You might look at those free Gun Safety Locks that you can get by mail or at police departments. They are small keyed padlocks with a pretty tough cable, and good for securing wheels or boxes maybe. What do you think.

PM if you want or link to thread regarding locks.

17. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

I like to use at least 2 different kinds of locks, maybe even 3.
    First is the octagon link Kryptonite chain with an American disc lock, no shackle to cut, through the rear wheel and frame.
    Then a good U lock, also through the rea wheel and frame.
    Then a Master Bike cuff to hold the front wheel to the down tube.
    Making the bike as difficult a target as possible.
    At work im able to store the heavy chain and lock so its not that bad to carry.
    Im sold on the long chain Master bike cuff, i have both the long and short models.
    The Kryptonite U lock with the new generation Keys are also pretty good.
    BBB

18. abikerider

abikerider Member

I had a similar keyed Kryptonite cable lock and my bike was stolen in broad daylight in front of a Harbour Freight store in a busy shopping center. These locks are too easily defeated with a bolt cutter. Better to get a good U-lock. At least they'll need to make some noise or spend some time to defeat those.

19. oliverw123

oliverw123 New Member

Personally I just use a regular bicycle combination lock and leave it on the seat post.. I always find something to tie my bike to even if I leave it for a second. I also contemplated the key lock but I also don't want to complicate things.

20. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

oliverw123, "complex" is exactly what you want when it comes to bicycle security.
    I dont know what you ride, or where you live, but bicycle theft is rampant, the police just dont care and are NOT going to look for your bike.
    So it falls to each rider to protect his ride, how much money, time and effort went into building your bike?
    Dont you think it just MIGHT be wise to at least make stealing your bike more difficult?
    3 different kinds of locks say "move on to some thing easier" to a bike thief.
    Maybe you ride a cheap bike and YOU don't care if it gets stolen.
    But WE do. Don't make it easy for the thieves just because you don't feel like carrying a key.
    Its your bike dude.
    BBB