Cheapest build

Man psycho that is one cool lookin ride real tight fit I bet it does turn heads.

George..You still didn;t answer my question and that is ...What is the difference between
a China Mart Cranbrook and a China Mart Delmar bike?

Ron
Man I don't know kinda new to bikes as an adult.

Nice work Al. The Cranbrook is sweet! 2 questions - Would you choose the Cranbrook over the Delmar for a basic Walmart cruiser build and what kind of paint did you use for the gas tank? any clear coat? that's 3 ...... sorry :\
What is the difference??????

From the little I know (trying to find out more) Delmar is Schwinn and Cranbrook is Huffy - both from China. Delmar is $124 and Huffy is $84 at WM. Both are 26" tires with rear brake only and have crappy fenders you need to fix. Have been searching threads for side-by comp. but nothing so far. I'm looking for a basic cruiser for my next build and keep going back and forth....

Homebuilt friction drive would be the cheapest to build.

While in Viet Nam I saw literally thousands of friction front wheel drives. In fact that is what I was looking for when I ran across the 80cc engine. Would like a picture of what you are talking about. Not interested in anything that hangs off the side of the bike.

Look at my avatar pix to see an old one I use to have. Most of the friction drive types are rear wheel [ hanging to one side ] but you can still find some vintage types similar to the one in my pix driving the front wheel. They are by far the simplest to use/install/remove. Sears sold a type of these for years, & it was sold under several other names. There is a guy I know who sells, repairs them. Here is a link ;

http://www.bikebug.net/photogallery.html

P.S. I was over in " Injun Country," too. 1969-70

Al,

I was going to purchase the Del Mar but instead, I got the Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser. The reason was because the Fashion cruiser has a black frame, the Del Mar has a grayish frame. Both bikes have very similar frames so I think there are other reasons to use when deciding. I was going with a black frame/handlebar theme and the Fashion cruiser already had them. The gray of the Del Mar would not match the black engine that I was planning on using. The Del Mar has a bike rack on the back, which would be nice to have at times. Also, the bike rack has a little tube where it connects to the bike frame. This could be used for other things like a mount for saddle bags (although I figured out how to do it with the fashion cruiser without this little bar). I liked the Fashion cruiser's handlebars a little better because they don't have such a large kink in them. I turned my handlebars "upside down" to give it a more vintage look. IF I were to do that with the Del Mar's, they would look wierd, or be too low to be useful. If you're going to use them right side up, it wouldn't matter. I think the fenders are a little better on the Del Mar, if you're going to keep them. I got different fenders so that didn't matter to me. The one thing I DIDN'T like about the fashion cruiser is that what isn't black, is green! Blach! I repainted the chain guard and ditched the grips and fenders. Now, it's red. Here's a picture of the bike before the engine install.

Attachments

• Profile.jpg
    Profile.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Tankbags.jpg
    Tankbags.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 178
Back