Check out my new headlights

cromartie

Local time
11:47 AM
Just mounted these puppies tonight. Rest of the hardware (switch, brake lever with switch, etc) are coming tomorrow. Can't wait to see how bright they are..

Each one is 25 watt halogen. The lights came with a 55 watt bulb but I downgraded to 25 watts because I wanted two lights on the bike.

7a03f016.jpg

Powering them with a 12 volt 12 AH battery. 50 watts of power draws 4.17 amps. I will get 2.87 hours runtime with my battery. I only commute an hour in the dark (morning). Drive home is light. Should have plenty of buffer!

Tomorrow I'm mounting the switch for the brake light, dialing everything in and project will be done. Turned them on tonight and they are bright! :)

You'll eat your battery in a hurry (if it's a lead acid battery) with routine depth of discharge much over 50%.

You can get thousands of charge/discharge cycles from a lead acid battery if you limit discharge to 10%. You'll get a couple of hundred cycles, maybe, if you limit discharge to 50%. But suck 12AH out of your 12AH battery (which is 100%) and you'll be lucky to get more than three recharges before it gives up.

Incandescent lighting is really a backwards approach for a bike anymore. You can get more light of a better color with less than 10W of high flux LED. Halogen bulbs make about 15 lumens per watt-- a little more for high power bulbs, and a little less for low power ones. So you'll be doing well to get 750 lumens from 2x25W halogen lamps.

For contrast, have a look at this high flux LED bike light. The battery pack has a rating of under 32 watt-hours, and the claimed runtime is three hours at full blast. So it's making 900 lumens from around 10W, and as a result it gets to be small and convenient to mount, with a small battery pack.

LED is really the only lighting technology that makes sense for bicycles anymore.

Chalo

i bought the same set of lights. i'm only using one and ive got it mounted pretty sturdy. i havent figured out how im going to power it or if im going to try to put LEDs inside the body. im looking for the most cost effective way to do this, any suggestions?

Back