Chicken Motor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by upshifter, Dec 20, 2008.

1. upshifter

upshifter Member

I live in Waldport, Oregon. Anyway, I have an 80cc frame mounted, Chinese engine kit on order; and I own an old O&R bike motor kit called a "Chicken Motor". It's about 35 years old, and American made. Those kits were around in the 1960s, and maybe before. It's a 1hp 2cycle motor that friction drives the front tire.

I intend on mounting the 80cc kit on my mountain bike, which seems more than strong enough to handle a motor.

I have a lot to learn about modern motored bicycles. I did have several old Whizzer motored bikes when I was in high school, 1949. Yes, I'm older than dirt, but I still ride. I can't make any practical arguments for motored bikes, or even motorcycles, both of which I love. But, they are now, and have always been, my most enjoyable pastime. Also, I've always liked the people who ride bikes, and motorcycles. Keep the rubber side down.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

hi upshifter

yes -- the good old motor bike memories
    and the Chicken Power motor -- my buddy had one for a long time -- true blue THING

have fun as you ride that THING
  3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

I've never heard of the chicken motor.

An American-made bicycle motor?...sounds like a dream.

Maybe the big three automakers ought to consider these types of applications in their long-range survivability plans. I'd be happy to put a Chevy engine on my bike.
  4. seanhan

seanhan Member

Thats how the Grumman Aircraft co. survived hard times by making Mail trucks and boats.
    Maybe american company's should get more diverse, Look at Mitsubishi they build allmost anything you can think of..
  5. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Not to mention Honda. These days they are one of the biggies in automobiles. But they've also diversified into one of the really respected names in lawnmowers, generators, not to mention engines for bicycles. I could understand, maybe, why the Americans chose not to get into such stuff in 1966. But why didn't they look ahead in the 1990s when they were making a lot of money but must have understood that it was not sustainable. Could they have been so short-sighted that they didn't realize the end would have to come?

There was a time when Ford, at least, had a name in farm equipment, semi-trucks, even Earth satellites. So what do these geniuses choose to do? Sell off everything except autos. Brilliant.
  6. Mountainman

San Diego, Calif said no to Honda

Honda wanted to and tried very hard to open a plant here years ago

dumb dumb San Diego told Honda how much they would be paying
    taxes -- and everything else needed

Honda went somewhere else

the good old American way San Diego
    just push all of those good jobs away

what can I say -- ride that THING
  7. Mountainman

sorry about that upshifter -- didn't mean to rant on your welcome thread

we do welcome you and looking forward to hearing more from you MM
  8. upshifter

upshifter Member

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm glad to be here.

I've spent some time looking at all the interesting pictures posted by forum members.
  9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Chicken-Power,== I know a lot about these ! They used the 1hp Ohlsson & Rice motor. Also, similar kits sold under the name Orline, [ see my Avatar pix ]. O & R were also famous for R/C airplane/boat engines. Tough, screaming little motors !! If it has sat awhile, they will almost always need fuel system cleaning & a carb diaphram. That part is available as a reproduction, but it's awfully hard to find other parts. These engine show up on E Bay quite often, powering many different tools, as well as bike motors. I wish they were still in business. Many won't like to hear me say this,, but quality wise, they put the Chinese motors to shame !
  10. Mountainman

Chicken Power == 100 miles a day - no problem !!!

yes -- me too

my buddy rode a Chicken Power aprox 100 miles a day to work and back
    for over a year
    never heard him say one THING about break downs
    when will we hear a claim such as that from a China motor ???

now that's a THING you can ride !!!
  11. upshifter

upshifter Member

chicken picture

Here is a picture of my Chicken Power. It's been outside in my garage for several years, and I need to clean it up. It's dirty, and has some rust on spots, like the spring. I'm going to put it on a bike and try it out, probably next spring. The weather is bad here on the Oregon coast, but not as bad as the Portland area. Ok, let's see if this posted the picture; this is my first time on this forum.

Attached Files:

12. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Holy cow batman, how much time did he spend commuting to work? At 20mph average speed, that's 5 hours a day!
  13. Mountainman

maybe more like 80 miles

it wasn't easy for him -- he had gotten into trouble and lost his license
    admitted -- I guessed on the miles traveled
    but -- it was a long ways
    I would almost want a full day so as to ride and travel that route
    probably closer to 80 miles
    not to forget three very large hills -- one is a small mountain

anyway -- I think those Chicken Powers were build pretty strong

ride those things
  14. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I hope you can get it running without much trouble. If it has ANY old gas in it, the sooner you clean it the better. The tiny carb passageways can get mighty bad!
    " 100 miles a day ?" GOOD LAWD! The best ride with these things is on a heavier balloon tire bike [ Cruiser ] . But many will only do about 15mph, then. A skinny tire, lightweight, English bike, was the fastest, getting close to 25mph. Roads around here will kill you riding on a bike like that, though. The best compromise , for me, was on a bike like shown in my pix, a fairly lightweight Schwinn hybrid.
    I would like to see someone take the plans , make a few modifications, & start production of them, again.
  15. Mountainman

do you know where and when they were made ?

Have a nice Christmas -- from MM
  16. upshifter

upshifter Member

I believe they were actually made in Los Angeles, CA. The company later became "Advanced Engine Products, Inc", still at the same address in Los Angeles.

I have a 1983 book, "Small Air Cooled Engines Service Manual, 14th edition, that covers all kinds of small engines with repair data, old and new. It has several O&R engines under that title. One looks exactly like the engine used for the Chicken Power. I don't know if Advanced Engine Products, Inc. is still around; and I don't know when the last O&R type engine was made.
  17. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Take a look at the little engine in action ! I think this is the 3/4 HP engine, rather than the " leaping, screaming, wild, high-energy , exciting , dog attracting 1hp" that was on bikes ! Enjoy !
  18. upshifter

upshifter Member

Thanks for the link. That is indeed a neat little power plant.

I used to have an O&R .23 model airplane engine. It had an ignition system, not a glow plug. I could control the RPM by varying the timing with a small lever on the distributor. It was easily converted to a glow plug engine by exchanging the spark plug with the glow plug. It drove a hardwood prop, plastic props were not around yet in those days, 1949 when I was in high school. The hardwood prop would do a number on your finger if you were not careful. It split mine wide open one day.
  19. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

20. upshifter

upshifter Member

Wow. Thanks for the link. I saw a 1940 O&R just like the one I had, wood prop and all. They ran smoother with a spark plug than they did with the glow plug, more like larger engines run.