child carrier

lau

Local time
4:30 AM
I have never done this, but i would strongly advise NOT doing it.
Exhaust fumes and oil spitting from the exhaust would be a problem.
but more importantly would be your childs safety.
These things like to throw the chain if the alignment isn't 100% right, stopping these things can be tricky if you have questionable brakes (add the weight of the trailer and child into the equation).
there are a lot of things that can and will go wrong with one of these that makes it too risky to hook up a trailer with a 2 year old in it, especially for a first time builder /rider of a motorized bike.
I wouldn't do it, and i have built a few of these bikes that have never had any problems.

Newbie.

NO, NO, NO,NO. NOT a good idea at ALL. And in most states is most likely against the law. Have ya ever seen a trailer jacknife. So a trailer is OUT.
Then what? ya gonna STRAP the kid to the bike, or just try to hang on to him at 30mph. I really can't belive you even asked the question to begin with. If a child welfare agency saw you doing this I would be suprised if they let you keep your kid. How old are you? I hope your kid turns out smarter, if he lives long enough to grow up. I think Motorpsycho was too easy on you. From what I've seen from him he's a pretty good guy. Perhaps I'm not quite as nice.
Sorry BRO, I just can't see ANYONE taking a chance like that with a baby.And I'm not even very sorry about saying all of this.
SO, My short answer is NO,NO,NO,NO.
Big Red.

Hey all,

newbie here. anyone try putting a child trailer (or even a child seat) on the end of a motorized bike? how does that work? is exhaust a problem?

trailer example:
http://www.bicycletrailers.com/Chariot-Cougar-2.pro

child seat example:
http://www.bicycletrailers.com/CoPilot-Limo.pro

I have a 2yo son, who would LOOOOVE it.

Also, of note, I have not yet bought the bike motor kit, etc. Any reccomendations around my situation?
My recomendation is grow up some before you buy one. Yer gonna get someone killed.

azbill has been pulling a kids trailer for years taking his two girls
to school and everywhere else they need to go.

First he had a two stroke bike but now he is running a 4 stroke
EZ motorbike and has a home built chariot.

azbill is in Arizona which has a 20 mph speed limit for motorized
bikes.

This pic is a few years back.I'd ride back there!and it's a Whizzer!!! Where's my buddy"s seat.

Attachments

• DSCN1801.jpg
    DSCN1801.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 304
Baby's on 2 wheels?

First, Azbill is an expreienced rider with years of riding time behind him. Lau is a Newbie that has NO IDEA what a MB is all about, what it can or can't do, or how it handles in an emergency situation. He needs A LOT of riding time before he puts a baby in danger. But even then, I still don't think it's a good idea to strap 2 year old to a MB, motorcycle, trailer, or anything else that will do 30mph and don't have approved saftey seats, with seat belts used properly to attached them, and, if possible, air bags for "just in case". A 2 year old has not yet learned how to "tuck and roll" if something were to go wrong on a bike.
A regular peddal bike is fine for all of this. a two year old would still get a big thrill out of going 6 or 8mph and a lot less danger of a kid getting killed.
Yeah, I know. I had a BB gun when I was 5, No one ever heard of a seat belt, and the speed limit was 70mph and hey, I'm still alive. Well, the ones that died aren't here to talk about it, are they? We did a lot of things when we were kids that should have killed us, but didn't. The 50's and 60's are over and there's a good reason for the child saftey laws that we have today. too many inexperienced people would strap a two year old to a rocket.
Thank's
Big Red.

Here's a pic of a Whizzer with a sidecar.Got the Whizzer but not the sidecar.It sold for the same price of the Whizzer.

Attachments

• DSCN1799.jpg
    DSCN1799.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 195
ok, so its a bad idea. i get it.

no need to be rude, although i think you were just trying to be very convincing that its a bad idea.

still planning on installing the motor soon, but now, i wont be considering taking my son for a ride.

The main purpose is to take me to the BART station, which is about 2 miles away through hilly terrain, and to spend time getting fresh air on the weekend.

Back