china engine rebuilt-have problems

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by deercrossing, Jan 25, 2008.

1. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

Hello, I have a metal ball left over from the rebuilding. Should this go in the

clutch sprocket area? Gas leaking out air filter-Engine noise when rolling-

sounds like piston could be hitting spark plug? Engine has been sitting for

about a year now apart. Been a while since I've been to this site. Having

trouble figuring out how to get to the subjects sections of this site. I want

to look up clutches or gas leaks how do I get to this part of the site?

Like to get the engine ready for the summer. Thanks, David

2. mickey

mickey Guest

There's an 8MM ball bearing in the drive train. Here's a schematic from Birddog's store. Part24 Your clutch will not disengage without it.
  3. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

Thank you, Mickey!
    That is the area I was refering to in my question. The ball goes in back of the pin in the small sprocket hole. (Middle of sprocket) The clutch was not working. I'll work on that and see if I can get that problem eliminated. The gas leak seems to be an old thing. I just don't remember what the cure is. The ping I hear in the engine is not a noise to hear after rebuilding. Thanks for the help! David
  4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

yes...we've restructured a bit. have a look around at all the new sections.
    plus, you can still use our search feature.
  5. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

8mm ball

I took off the drive gear cover and took out the pin #26 and put the ball in

back of the pin and the gear cover does not go back on. Looks as it the ball

needs to be counter sunk. I'm looking at the speck sheet you included and

it looks like part # 20, needs to be disengaged some how to let the ball fall

just a bit more. Could be I don't know what I'm taking about too. All I know

is something needs to move to get this ball down just a tit more. I took the

spark plug out and the engine turns over smooth. I put the plug in and I get

the light ping noise. Sure would hate to bust that piston head again. Now

that I've have this beast apart once I have a good idea how to do it a

second time.
  6. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Could it be that you adjusted the clutch without the ball in place and now that you have put the ball into place, the settings should be backed off to allow room for ball?
    As for the plug problem, I would take a bit of "sillyputty" and mould a bit of it around the tip of the plug. That way if the piston is touching, you would see the mark left in the putty.You could even go with some bubble-gum.
  7. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Or how about this one.......he forgot the headgaskets!!
  8. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

clutch pin and 8mm ball sticks out 1/8 in to much

Thank you for the comments. I have all gaskets on the engine. What I want

to do first is get the drive gear cover back on. The pin and 8mm ball are

about an 1/8 on an inch to long to get the cover closed. This means I need

to adjust (move) the clutch assembly away from the cover. What do I have

to do to get this done? Do I have to go into the gear side and pull every

thing out? And pull everything out to do what. What part really needs to be

moved the 1/8 of an inch. I've got a big hammer!!!
  9. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

Do what cooltoy said, and that will solve your problem, i had the same problem as you and figured it out on my own. Take the tool that came with the kit and turn your funky lookin clutch screw until the cover goes on.
  10. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

Thank you for the info. The reason I didn't follow Cooltoy's advise is I am not

sure how to adjust the clutch. I thought to adjust the clutch was on top of

the clutch pad is a adjuster that screws on and has little noches on top and

the small philip screw keeps this adjuster from moving. you are saying to

take this clutch pad (disk) off and there is a nut that is turned with the pull

tool that came with the engine. I tried a search for clutch adjustment and

found none. I did key in 8mm ball and found some info about the ball. If I

had it figured out I'd no reason to write this message. Thank you, David
  11. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

I found a message by Svdavo, 3-22-07, and the topic is clutch adjustment and Svdavo

gives "" , when I key this I get a message that

"this topic has been moved". Where has it been moved too? This is the second time I've

encountered this. In my clutch search. Thank you, David (I don't know how to cut and paste on this site.)
  12. azbill

azbill Active Member

unfortunately, when we changed forum software last year, some threads got trashed
    if you search the topic yourself, you might have better luck, then you could bump the topic up the list
  13. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

I think you getting all mixed up deercrossing, You are talking about the right nut(with the little screw holding it from moving) and I guess that tool can be used for turning it. I've only done this once but I just turned it by hand and you would want to uncrew it a bit. Make sure to test by pushing bike to see if clutch works be fore putting it all together. I'll be here all day, so ask away! I'll keep an eye out for ya.
  14. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

ok the steps to take adjust cluch to get the cover back on , i hope this helps you and is the correct information you are requesting
    1st get the correct tool in the pic 001 also used for the spark plug but can be used for this process.

2nd look at the cover in pic jpg 003 with the clutch adjusted to much the cover will not go on

3rd take the tool and turn back (unscrew) counterclockwise jpg 002 the screw until the cover goes on and the lever arm is straight with the cover

in the last pic 004jpg you can see the cover is on and the lever arm is in the correct position. Like i said i hope this is what you are talking about
    like stated in a recent post make sure the Ball bearing goes inside first then the medal dowel. Make sure also that their isn't any obstuctions in the way dirt or whatever, apply a decent amount of grease inside the shaft first

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  15. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

pictures tell a mill stories

Thank you to all. I was able to use the pictures and get the drive gear cover

back on smooth. I had to use the puller and since the engine is on the frame

I had to find a good spot to keep the engine from turning while I backed of

the big gear plate just a tit. I have put everything together and everything

seems right. NOW is the question of did I rebuild well enough to get the

engine not to have a meltdown. These China engines are so packed that if I

missed one milla chip in the crank case this will be a short story. I cracked

the case open and cleaned her out. Putting the engine back togther took

some hours of standing on my head and then had help from my brother in-

law. I haven't turned the gas back on and probably still have to deal with

the gas leak. I've heard no noise from the piston....SSSOOOOO, LETS GO

START HER UP!!! Thanks again for the pictures and everyone's input!!

16. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

Locked Up Down Driveway

I rolled her down the driveway and onto the main road popped the clutch and

she froze up. I know the feeling from the first crash. Took the bike down in

the basement and ended up braking the engine down to find a broke ring.

No one to blame but the builder. That would be me. Must not have done

something right. So I'll look for an engine. A lot of work to have her go in

fifteen seconds. Was all down hill the day I got this engine. The float was

bad. The tank has cracked. The engine mount stud was bent during shipping

. The seller told me this was no problem. With all the down time the

warrantee ran out. The engine broke like a week later. I don't have all the

down time the engine is warranteed. The bushing broke and that I would

say is the weakest part of the engine and needs to be one of the strongest

parts. That's the stories end.....ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST.
  17. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

I'm still confused why you had to split the motor in the first place. The only reason to split the motor or using the pull tool is if the bottom bearing gave out, replacing the clutch, or replacing the front sprocket. Was that the case?? Because if it was medal fragments they could have been blown out and use gas to clean it out. Something may had thrown off the stroke alignment when you put it back together. That may have been the cause of the ring breakage. Also if i wouldve got the engine like that to begin with , it wouldve went back ASAP. Sorry to hear of your loss, better luck with the next one.
  18. mickey

mickey Guest

19. deercrossing

deercrossing Guest

Bearing broke

I deleted the pictures some time ago. They showed the engine parts as I

took them apart. The skirt on the piston head was all broke and the rings had

busted up into crums. But, the bearing that holds the piston looked to have

cracked and the pin broke the collar. I can't see the damage as bad as it

was if nothing broke. There is no way I tell ya to get all that mess out of

the crank case without spliting the case and cleaning it good. You can use

the air hose all you want and pich all the gas you want. Can't chance

missing a chip. In no time it will be in harms way. I can't say why the ring

broke so fast but to think I missed a step somehow. My brother in-law was

certified with Chevy for many years and he put the rings in the jug. Could be

the rocker arm was bent just a tit to throw things off. Like you say the

stroke alignment was off. I kind of knew it would be a long shot to fix the

engine. Everything went back together good. yea, hindsight I should have

sent the engine right back. The seller sent the float right out and I was

not wanting to pay to ship the engine back. I paid $190. someing and then I

think $25. shipping. So as far as I was concerned I was already in good on

buying the engine. Thanks for the feedback.
  20. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

Ok not to disrespect but by looking into the crank with the cylinder casing off you can see more than 90% OF THE INSIDE CRANK HOUSING> So there is no need to disassemble the housing unless you had a crank bearing go bad. Trust me iv'e explored the inside of the housing, its very compacted so therfore i know it doesn't need to be split. Sorry IMO. you may have ruined your engine yourself by ripping apart your engine for no reason at all just because of a shattered ring. I myself had a shattered ring but went thru the simple steps of air blowing and gas cleaning and didn't miss a piece because i knew the housing wasn't that complex. Like i said better luck with your next engine and hope you explore this site for more knowledge.