China Frame Mount Engine

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by InfoCentral, Oct 24, 2008.

1. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

I've seen these frame mount engines for sale with everything including the all the mounting hardware for a little over $200. I was thinking of getting one just to start out on my first project but I've heard that these are all junk and told not to waste my money. True???

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

to be honest with you Infro
    I would spent more money -- and buy a high quality set up -- 4 to 7 hundred dollars
    if I only had two hundred to spend -- I wouldn't have much choice....

no matter what - get it and - RIDE THAT THING

3. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

I'm up for spending more money but I don't see too many options out there being offered. I would ideally like to get a frame mount, belt or chain drive, Honda powered motorbike. From what I have seen so far offered is the behind the seat Honda belt drives...not the old school look I am trying to obtain.

4. Mountainman

I think that I know what you are talking about InfoC

if you get the time go take a look at HoughMade's MB picture here on site

also "the kind" I really like ----------------- ride that thing

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Do a lot of reading here. About 70% of the posts here deal with this type of engine.

6. ocscully

ocscully Member

Look at the kits from http://www.bicycle-engines.com They have a complete kit with a chinese copy of a honda motor for Just under $400.00 or they have an install kit with everything but the motor for just under $200.00 and you can get a real Honda GXH50 from http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com for $210.00

ocscully

7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

And if that fits your budget and want a frame mount, I think you will like it. I do.

Attached Files:

8. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

Hey, I like your bike! That is just what I am looking for in a bicycle engine. Is that a Honda engine on it?

Thanks Ocsully, I'm going to look into that engine and kit combo.

9. Mountainman

just as recommended -- HoughMade's MB

kind of thought that you would like HoughMade's MB

looks like a Honda to me

since the age of six or seven -- Honda's have always made it nice to

ride that thing

10. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

I bought a 4cycle kit from "BikeKitsDirect"..It is a copy of a Honda engine, but its made in China...I have been very pleased with the engine...Its run and idles do much better than a 2 stroke..only drawback is the "hoot" transmission....it is not made to free wheel, so when you let off the gas the engine really holds the bike back....I paid $269. for the entire kit, including freight....All in all, I think I got my money's worth...and Bill will work with you...

11. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

How long have you had that engine? Is the kit a belt drive or a chain drive?

12. ocscully

ocscully Member

To the best of my knowledge there are no belt drive kits other than the GEBE Rack-mount (Metric Timming Belt) , and the Whizzer frame-mount kit (v-belt) the Whizzer kit is no longer available. Putting together a belt drive for a frame mounted motor can get expensive, pretty quickly. A few members here have done belt drivetrains but most stick to chain drives.

ocscully

13. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Yes- mine uses the genuine Honda from Small Engine Warehouse. I have heard good things about the clone, but the Honda makes a bit more power and from the reports of others, it is a bit better made.

Thanks. I greatly enjoyed building it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008
  14. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

The kit I bought is chain drive..It's a Hua Sheng engine...but looks identical to the Honda...although its proably not as good a quality...I've been running it about 3 months...

15. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

good luck with that, think of it as a learning tool & you wont be disatisfied!

16. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Your photography is improving HoughMade. 3" further back and you'd get the whole bike in. A tiny bending of the knees and the angle would be just so.
    That grey\blue cedar in the background is a lovely backcloth!:grin:

17. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Don Grube is working on a Grubee belt drive and a picture of it can be seen on:
    http://www.motoredbikes.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=12278&d=1224995355
    I'm told the prototype drives really well.

18. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

Looks like that left pedal is extended about 4 inches. Is this something you need to do with most engine kits to clear the exhaust?

19. ocscully

ocscully Member

The extra width is needed due to the overall width of the Honda GXH50/Clone motor and gearbox. This motor and gearbox combination runs 8 & 3/4 to 9 ins. wide. The new grubee solution for getting the crank arms & pedals to clear this width takes wide cranks to a new extreme.

ocscully

20. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Don Grube told me that the 3 piece wide cranks that look so yucky will not be used on the bike frames he's offering for sale. The 3 piece replaced the 1 piece at the request of Bicycle-Engines.Com according to Don. Don't know about you guys but I can't get any customer to accept a build with those 3 piece cranks and I can't blame them so I have to send off to the USA for the 1 piece and that adds another cost surcharge.