China Gas Offering 4-Stroke With Generator

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 4613

I just noticed China Gas Gas offering an HS 142F-1 4 stroke equipped with a 7 amp generator. Does anyone know anything about this? Anyone have one or tested it or know who stocks it in the US?

Rectifier Regulator

I did some searching, but didn't find anything ready made for the output of this generator. (Doesn't mean there isn't any , just didn't find one.) It is only two phase and would require a full wave bridge rectifier to turn the AC into DC. Then as it is a permanent magnet generator its output will always be higher than a 14.4 volt charging voltage. That will require a regulator to shunt (short) the excess current to ground and a heatsink to dissipate the heat generated. So they haven't really given the user much to work with. It really should have these items built in. If the engines get any wider, we are going to have to turn them around and use a drive shaft. )

Jim

I wonder why they don't supply a rectifier/regulator (the page says end user must get it)

We have to remember that these engines were designed as utility engines, not for bicycles. The lighting/alternator coils on utiity engines were meant to directly run lighting without rectification or regulation. The brightness will vary somewhat with engine speed. But remember, for their intended application, the engine usually runs at a fixed speed. Since the alternator coils are energized by the flywheel, it makes sense that the engine had to grow a little to accomodate the new hardware.

It wouldn't be hard to use a regulator/rectifier from a pocket bike or small imported ATV. They can be had cheaply on eBay.

Are you sure that this is a pm dc generator? If so, the current supplied could be very difficult to hold down with a rectifier, due to the fact that the engine runs at such a wide rpm range. 14 volts could easily increase to 60 volts. The heat sink I feel couldn't handle the excess voltage.

Pm Generator & Voltage Regulation

Yes, I feel it is a PM as the ignition coil power coil is located there as well and the field effect ignition sensor as well.

The rectifier does nothing to hold down the voltage, it justs turns the AC into pulsing DC.

Of note is they moved everything from the flywheel end as a stop gap solution. Motor cycles and Honda (probably others as well) utility engines provided for a charging or lighting coil under the flywheel along with the ignition coil. Most Honda engines that don't have the lighting / charging coil still have the space for it.

My pressure washer 11 HP Honda has a charging coil for its battery. Don't remember the amp output, but that would be a source for a rectifier regulator as well.

The extra width was unnecessary if the job had been done properly IMHO.

BTW, Cycles that used mag power for lighting (flickering at idle) needed the load of both the head and tail light as a load. When one would fail do to vibration or old age, the other generallly failed soon from over voltage.

Jim

Are you sure that this is a pm dc generator? If so, the current supplied could be very difficult to hold down with a rectifier, due to the fact that the engine runs at such a wide rpm range. 14 volts could easily increase to 60 volts. The heat sink I feel couldn't handle the excess voltage.

Apparently, there is a confusion here, the generator is an ac generator not a dc generator, my mistake.

Dc Generator?

My error in not picking up on DC in your post.

There really aren't any DC generators to my knowledge. There are generators with DC output, but they convert the AC to DC internally with a comunicator or a rectifier pack as is the case of an automotive alternator which could also be called a generator. I think they went to alternator to mark the difference from the old generators used for many years in cars?

Just to add to the confusion, the alternator would be like having three generators in one case. It is three phase and turns out a sine wave every 120 degrees of rotation. Thus when added together one is at peak power three times in a rotation. That makes it closer to a pure DC output. DC is continuous, but AC is only there part of the time and isn't pushing part of the time.

Jim, Who has been playing with batteries, bells and lights for 65 years. )

Apparently, there is a confusion here, the generator is an ac generator not a dc generator, my mistake.

Back