(Chinese) 2-Stroke Ban, and Do We Care?

Do you care about the 2-stroke ban?

• Total voters
China vs "china bike engine"

Pete, "China" does not care about these engines, maybe I have not told you, but our engines are a left over DEAD product in China, and there is NO money from the little factories to challenge the monster that is the EPA Mike

so, to address another main goal of MBc (helping to develop "what's next")...what's next as pertains to affordable & available motorizing of bicycles?

OK Mike, so they are a dead product in China.
American gear-heads live by,"if there is a will, there is a way." :cool:

The thought of a used 50cc pocket bike engine has crossed my mind a time or two. They can be had as single speed, auto clutch with kick starter.

Do keep us posted on what you know about this outlawing.
Thanks. :)

Ol Pete

Pete...I too remember the 60's. And..The air is much cleaner now. Not Due to Government regs. Also..Pete.. You have been out of the loop too long. These new 2 strokes and new 2 stroke oils. There is no smoke anymore. Some Guys are using synthetic at 75:1 and the burn is cleaner than any 4 stroke. Much cleaner. If you go 20:1 with natural oil.. You may...May see a little smoke.. If the lighting is just right and you look really hard. Pete, you not only remember the 60's, but you remember the 70's with Suzuki GT750 water buffs that left a blue smoke trail around the corner and down the street. Them days are gone.. Unless you find a GT750 or 550 or 380 and.. But..Even at that.. With these new 2 stroke oils. They burn clean for sure. Enjoy the ride..

thatsdax, Do not cherry pick my posts for your own benefit. :cool:

Did you not read the autobloggreen link I posted above?

I have seen pics of these Chinese strokers apart...they are crude with a dated carb type. I did state that the new Nipponese Tanakas use a CAT in their mufflers to meet EPA tier II. A poo-poo pipe won't get it.
Another thing, the gas tanks/carbs are vented to the atmospher and the carbs can leak gas. That's not very good for hydrocarbon emision.
The Japanese small engine providers do not have to look very hard for a place to put the lever inorder to push the EPA into action.

Yes, I have been out of the small stroker engine building loop. I did help a friend of mine with his son's Yamaha TZ250 H&J bikes back in the mid-70s. Those were not crude strokers. I have overhauled prolly 300 Detroit Diesels over a period of 20 years. They are 2 strokes and they could never clean them up enough to meet EPA standards.

As part of a war reperation, Honda gave a whole production line to China...The whole plant, building and all that was in it. Result? China makes 30 year old small displacement Hondas with some Chinese name on them and they are not as good as a good used 30 year old Honda..If one can be found. Ppl hang on to good old small displacement Hondas.

In closing, let me say that I do not hate these fun to fiddle with Chinese engines and hope all the youngsters (and young at heart) have as much fun with them as they can stand. Myself? I would never use a '60s British motorcycle for daily transport again!...NEVER!
I see these Chinese motors in much the same light as the old Villers.

Peace. :cool:

ok Pete ..You win

ok Pete. You win.. I will not bother defending small enignes that get 150mph. Thanks..

I meant

I meant 150 mpg. Not 150 mph..lol. And..There is no need for me or anyone else to defend a motor that gets 150 plus miles to the gallon. You can use all the Tech support Docs and Decades of motor building you like. A motor that gets 150 mpg plus stands on its own merrit. I guess common sense just is not that common anymore..oh..and..Pete.. You guys in Calif quit starting all those forrest fires. The millions of tons of pollution blows into our state.. O well.. I am done.. You win Pete.

Bikeguy,
Not the V Rod but their bread 'n butter v-twins. I did read about what's in the works over at The Motor Co. two years ago. They will still have fins but there will be water jackets under them.

thatsdax,
None of my points are about winning. Win what? I love small displacement engines. A 1300cc VW bug was may favorite commuter car. I toyed with an 850 Fiat for awhile, I helped my brother with his 1125cc powered Bug Eye Sprite, my favorite dirt bikes were 125s, I really enjoyed watching the 50cc and later 80cc road race bikes go at it, so do not go after the messanger because the message is unpleasent...Please. :cool:

My first build will use a Robin/Subaru 35 but the next might be an illegal (for road use in CA) Tanaka 47. I would go with it so I could gear it to run at light throttle settings for a quiet 25mph in town and lord knows what outside of town.

CA forest fires have nothing to do with the subject at hand. That was aimmed at making a statement about Kalifornians that would be negative and include me in it.

I had nothing to do with the importation of the engines in question and will have no say in what the EPA or CARB does. To me it is just another light drama being played out for a few to watch or really care about.

Back