Chinese HT Engineer does it again!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Irish John, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Irish John

Irish John Guest

At around 5:30am on June 27, an unoccupied building still under construction at Lianhuanan Road in the Minxing district of Shanghai city toppled over. One worker was killed.
    It's the footings that give it away - like what you might use around a fencepost. I reckon the engineers from the JL Hoot gearbox laboratories have been trying their hand at housing.
    I should point out that the glass in the windows was British!
    Indeed this whole building was made to fall over as part of a test by JL Hoot University scientists to prove how bad British-made windows really are but, as we can see, they failed at that as well.
    Back to the gearbox.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I linked this to a diary that just came up about:

Sounds like the Chinese gov't learned nothing from what we are going through....a repetition of mistakes in economic Ponzi capitalism.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

how would we feel if we were living in a building next door -- built basically the same ??
    I would want to move far away from this killing THING

surprised that we don't hear about more of these THINGS happening over there

over there where life is still dirt cheap

oh ya and you are right Irish John
    if those engineers aren't sent to prison
    they can still get a job at a HT making plant
    where quality control is not a big issue

as seen from up top the mountain
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Buy Chinese at your peril. Reading this review convinces me more than ever that if you're going to eat it, give it to a small child, feed it to your pets, put it in your eyes, rub it on your skin or hair or teeth- make sure where it's made.

full article
  5. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Amazing photos.

I witnessed first hand many, many things that boggle the mind in I fight the rip-off artists....I don't mind competition, BUT I despise lying, cheating, trickery, law violations and government support of the same.......
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  6. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Those of you know my jaundiced opinion of all things Chinese (excepting herbal medicine, acupuncture, very old porcellain and horticulture) will have some inkling of the pleasure your postings are giving me.
    "Just show us the sample" as it says above became, in my dealings with Chinese, "Just bring us the catalogue with a picture" and we'll rip it off.
    Nothing shonky that comes out of China hasn't come out of 'the west' long before. We did all these things too but long enough ago for most people not to know about it.
    The sub-prime market collapse was propped up by a great deal of chinese money. The ironical thing is that having completely stuffed up so much of our own built environment we now get to work in China in our tens of thousands helping them to ruin their own built environment.
    The whole world has gone mad but it might all be a divine chaos if the bike industry moves back to where it first came from.
  7. Pablo

I once requested one factory rep girlie thingy look up the word "disingenuous".

I have nothing against most of the people (women in particular), the food, the evening entertainment, tea, the pent up energy, etc....just so we don't go racist here or anything.
  8. possenti

possenti Member

I've been wanting to ask this here for a while, and this seems like a good place:

Does anyone know anything about the history of the Happy Time engine kit? I'm currently riding and enjoying my first build, and the whole time I was installing it, I kept thinking that it looks like an American (at least Western) design - although they're manufactured in China. I agree the quality is lacking in some areas, but the engineering behind it is pretty ingenious, IMO.

How did this product come into being? Anyone know?
  9. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Basically, the Soviets developed it in the 1920's-30's, and the Chinese copied it, there have been no major breakthoughs in that basic design.

Wikipedia has a pretty good history of the hobby.
  10. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Yes, yes, we know how much you hate the Chinese. What else do you post about? You seem to forget that they also make some high quality, high tech items too. (cell phones, computers, TV's) A lot of the junk they make is that way because their customers focus only on cost. Quality costs money, no matter where it is made.

Should we make fun of Italians because of engineering marvels like the "Leaning Tower" of Pisa? Nope, seems like the Italians actually celebrate their engineering failures. You know why FIAT hasn't sold a car here in 25 years? I can tell you why because I owned one of those miserable Italian pieces of sh1t! The joke was that FIAT stood for "Fix It Again, Tony!" - and it was a well deserved reputation. But am I going to shun everything from Italy because FIAT can't engineer and build a reliable car? No I won't. If I were like you, I would automatically hate everything that came out of that country. (except for spaghetti, which they stole from....the Chinese....)

I remember when I was a kid that there was a similar anti-Japanese sentement. "Jap cr@p" was the term. The anti-Jap thing actually goes back decades before I was born. Yes - they copied British and American designs. Back in the 70's and 80's we were worried that the Japs would own America as they were literally buying up NYC. But as the free market shows us, things balance out. The Japs didn't end up owning America.

Also "Irish" John - how about you name us some awesome inventions from Ireland? Us Americans have invented the vacuum tube, the transistor, the integrated circuit. All the things necessary for our "high tech" civilization as we know it. The Chinese invented gunpowder, which was the basis for defense and recreation (fireworks) for centuries. What have the Irish brought us - Bailey's Irish Cream? :jester:

You really should lighten up about people that aren't like yourself.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  11. Pablo

Any original Irish manufacturing base never quite got started because someone showed up with a bottle......the rest is history, including US companies who have moved plants to Ireland (Microsemi comes to mind), for you guessed it: TAX reasons....

I have noticed a bit of racial tones in this thread, and really most folks don't have their country of origin or race in their handle. I obviously have nothing against the Chinese, I just despise ripoffs, be they Brazilian, Nigerian, Australian or Irish. China, now being more free enterprise than the USA, has lots of "fledgling" business......what irks me is that these companies are knowingly breaking even the Chinese laws and the China Gov says they can't do anything....while actively stealing any and all secrets....hmmm
  12. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

C'mon Paul, "racial tones"? The title of the thread is:

Chinese HT Engineer does it again!

It started off racial. A civil engineering disaster happens in China, and our Irish friend chooses to bash them.

What if the title was making fun of blacks? What if the term "n1gger rigging" was used here in the forums?

I used Italy as an example because the Italians were once shunned here in America like the Mexicans. The term "WOP" was short for "With Out Papers" - an "undocumented worker" in today's speak.

My point is that this kind of bashing should not happen, regardless of who is getting bashed.
  13. Pablo

I was trying to be nice.
  14. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I'm surprised the building stayed in pretty much one piece. I would have expected a cloud of dust and a pile or rubble.

Sometimes I wonder why some people waste their time arguing about carp on the internet.
    Who cares where it's made. ALL of the stuff we use is just a few steps away from garbage anyway. That's what I see when I walk into a mall, neatly organized TOXIC LAND FILL. At least China exports actual products. All we export is funny money, killer drugs, dangerous agri-tech and BOMBS.
  15. furament

furament New Member

life is dirt cheep? ya if u dont respect yours or the life of aney thing or aney on elseses did u deserve yours?
  16. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Bailey's Irish cream was invented for the 'plastic Irish' american market. As was Irish Coffee invented by an American cocktail waiter working in Shannon Airport in the 1960s.
    For your information Arceeguy, the Irish invented the toilet seat but an American went and put a hole in it thus ruining a really good idea!
    Dunlop was Irish and so was Ferguson of Massey Ferguson. We also invented your constitution.
  17. HybriDude

HybriDude Motored Bikes Sponsor

I know something that IJ hates even more than Chinese HT engineers. It's the RTA. Don't get 'im started.
  18. Irish John

Irish John Guest

That's because he's had experience of both up close and personal. You forgot to mention the American coaster brake which I hate more than the RTA but not as much as HT engines.:devilish:
    And then there's fenderless bicycles rating fourth on the great hate list.
  19. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Today I cam across an old Em rule - a steel edge special ruler used in the printing business for measuring fonts and line spacing etc. It was made in Chicago. You can't get these anymore but what a lovely little object it is - light and smooth to handle with no sharp edges that might cut you. It is a pleasure to balance it in your hand and feel it. A lot of thought went into the design of this mundane little object and it reminded me what has been lost in the mad move to get everything made by enslaved rice farmers.
  20. HybriDude

HybriDude Motored Bikes Sponsor

More importantly, the dreaded RTA had a meeting with the starry-eyed pro-electric bicycle industry on Monday. Needless to say, I was not invited...