Choke Mount No Welding!

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Large Filipino, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Thanks Papausan for bringing back this link: and thanks Lotsa MPG for sharing that. I wanted to just add this to Lotsa MPG's thread but it's in the picture gallery.
    Well anyway,I'm checking out the front derailier that came with my Diamondback that I took off a long time ago. I notice it has a strong clamp with a hinge and a shaft that sticks out is screwed on. It looks like the same size thread as a cable assembly for a side pull brake.
    Pic 1 ~ So I tear it apart. Sorry. The tear down by itself deserved pics but at the time I didn't see it thru. I was just tearing stuff up.So what are we looking at?
    The front derailier chain guide. It's a Shimano STX,a washer,nut,two c clips,and that axle thing that screwed off (Yes. It's the same size hole. Same thread) then we have this grounding clamp in elecrical supplies I got this trick somewhere here. The smallest clamp they had had three holes with a fourth mounting hole.They didn't have single ones. I just needed one hole so I clipped it. That's what's left. This is used to clamp the cable down.
    (not in pic) I couldn't find that spring that went to my clutch cable. I'm guessing my dogs took it away and buried it. I bought a spring at Lowes but it springs with the tension pulling in instead of out so I just stretched it,clipped and doubled it up. You'll see in the other pics.
    Pic 2 ~ Here's the clamp with the allen nut and the's on there STRONG.
    Pic 3 ~ I could trim off that bottom part of that clamp but it's not in the way. Notice that ground thing used as a cable pincher. It's pretty strong. The other half of that pincher is going in my toolpouch. This is strong enough to repair a broken cable on either end! I used a tiny drill to drill a hole in my choke lever. Then I threaded the cable thru. Notice the doubled up spring.
    Pic 4 ~ Shifter location. I like it there. I may change it later,I may not.
    pic 5 ~ I now have seven cables coming out my front end. I think that simply rules.
    pic 6 ~ The whole shebang from a distance
    pic 7 ~ Another shot close up.
    pic 8 ~ Choke all the way up.

Attached Files:

2. So taking it out today it's just beautiful out. 59 degrees and warmer tomorrow go figure only in Colorado. When it's this warm out I don't need choke. I just coast,let go of the clutch and it starts up after about 5 feet. So I tried starting with the choke anyway and I get an instant start and when it wants to die when normally I would stop and adjust it down now I did all this with the lever. So what little peddling I did do to do chokeless starts to get some excersise I do even less of now.
    I wish for cold weather again.
    It's nice not ever having to do that reach around. I'm not gonna miss that.
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Large does it again!!!!

another excellent mod!!:cool:

I like it!!
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

must be something in the Northglenn, Colorado water !!!
    good design, but...
    now, your outta derailleurs :lol:
  5. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

That's twice in one day now that you have impressed me with your fine skills large Phil. Nice bike by the way. I can't wait for your next re-design.
  6. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Alright. Another good one from LFL.
  7. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

Thats mighty fine, but I have an easier idea for those who hate flipping their choke lever with their gloves on: Just stuff a 2.25" piece of clear vinyl fuel hose on there. (see album pics). It won't hurt if it snags your pants, and you can move it with gloves on.

I like your pulley system for the clutch, but if you just get an Odyssey Slick cable and a little 3n1 oil, you can make it really easy.

Good job anyway, esp the angle iron cross brace on the handlebars.
  8. Finding Nico

Finding Nico New Member

Wow, nice job! you really got a nice bike. How much did you put in extra from just the regular kit?