Choosing a flat-footed bike for short legs.

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Oct 29, 2007.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Hey, guys. i have short legs. i need a 26" bike that will let me rest my feet firmly and flat on the ground. right now, my old SCHWINN cruiser is being fitted with STATON friction drive with a 49cc pocket bike engine. my butt is 36" off the ground, and i'm not liking that. (if i lower the engine mounts 2", maybe 34" off ground.)my wife's 24" bike is 29" from seat to ground. i like that, and i don't intend to pedal anyway.

does anyone know which 26" bike would fit my bill? i looked at the RALEIGH GRUV FC(forward crank), but i want one that i can frame mount an engine as well. all my extra parts are for 20" or 26" bicycles.

i guess the 26" bike frame has to be forward crank-type.

Myron

2. beast775

beast775 Guest

electra townie

ive seen electra townies and i forget the other models but some of them have seat heights starting at 24 inches well made and iesily available ive test ridden them and would definately by one if i ever planned to just ride ,there prices start around 300 bucks at my bike shop.:cool:

3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Attached Files:

4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Dave, nice but too long.

i want one just like the RALEIGH GRUV, except with engine frame mount capabilities.

Myron

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Have you considered using a 24" rear wheel on a 26" cruiser frame? That's what I have on Rusty. 26" front / 24" rear. My seat height is 29" & I can lower the seat another inch.

6. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I lowered this frame 4.5 " to fit my short legs.

Attached Files:

7. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I think I'm going to gusset up the rear end before trusting it.
    This is an old sears (used to be a 3 speed). It was fairly easy to chop down.
    Doc

8. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:So Doc, where did you make the cuts?

Myron

9. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

How much $$ do you want to spend? There are literally hundreds of mtn. bike frames that would be exactly what you want.

Dan

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:I'd spend $300 on a bike, new or used.

I need to do more research on the 'net, then walk into bike shops to look see.

I have always been sweet on cruiser bikes, nothing else. A problem i'd never foreseen is that the rack-mounted engine is preventing me from lowering my cruiser's gel seat.:shock:

Should I be looking at full-suspension bikes, hardtails...what?

Myron

11. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

$300 might get you a fair hardtail but for comfort's sake, a full suspension would be the way to go. You'd probably feel more confident on a full susp. just because of the greater control you'd have over the bike, plus you'd be able to ride longer. Yes you could get a Wal-Mart mongoose full suspension but it wouldn't last as long as a brand name bike. Buying a bike from a bike shop ensures that it will be assembled properly (not by some 18 yr. old who doesn't give a carp), you'll get good service if you need it later and they will have replacement parts if something breaks.

There are SOOO many choices when it comes to buying a decent bike and doing copius amounts of research can never be a bad thing.

Dan

12. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

5-7,
    Made a 3/4 v cut at the front of the crossbar and cut the back off completely. Had to shorten the crossbar to get it lowered to the spot I wanted. I ground it concave to fit the seat bar. Using the v cut I bent it into place and welded around it then welded the front v. Oh, had to cut the down tubes in back to fit the rectangle piece of frame you see in the pic.
    Like I said, I think I will add one gusset under the seat onto the down tubes.
    Doc

13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Wow, good job, Doc!

You're too cool. I'll probably buy a used mt bike w/small frame so i can touch flat-footed.

The frame doesn't have to fit me well, since i'm not pedalling at all.:rolleyes:

Myron

14. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Thank you. Yeah it makes a giant difference, that you don't have to pedal.
    Doc