Chopper handling?

I have a StingrayXL and have never had a problem with handling. Given its very long wheelbase it's extremely stable for a bike even at high speeds. It does have the drawback of requiring wide turns similar to that of my Suzuki SV650s which is is only a couple of car or pickup truck widths I'd say. I like motoring with it but would never think about pedaling it any good distance. Especially considering the hills around here.

I like motoring with it but would never think about pedaling it any good distance. Especially considering the hills around here.

yes!!!!! these bikes sting ray or xl, are murder to ride unless you go 2mph, they are made for crusing, so you have almost no leverage on the pedals, yes this bike is VERY stable, but if ur like my neighbor, who thinks leaning means touching the ground with ur knee, and wont do it.... dont buy these bikes for your own saftey! she tried to turn without leaning, and drove up into a yard :D was the funniest thing ive ever seen! lol, that said, i had to repaint my pipe.

Personnaly I think my Spoiler handles more like a harley than a bicycle. I love the comfortable ride and easy handling. I'm scared to take corners too fast because i've had a coupple misshaps i've had and everyone that I know that's wrecked a motorized bicycle has done so during a turn.

chopper are i think best to be motorized. i have both a chopper and mtb. chopper has low center of gravity where as mtb stands tall and i have to slow down more on mtb to make a turn but chopper just leans and cuts in like so cool. just my opinion. love n peace to all.

im wondering if the forks were removed and put in the opposite side. the wheel would be in trailing axel than in leading axel position. it would shorten the w/b by about three inches. wouldnt this make turning more stable by shortening the rake?

im wondering if the forks were removed and put in the opposite side. the wheel would be in trailing axel than in leading axel position. it would shorten the w/b by about three inches. wouldnt this make turning more stable by shortening the rake?

alaskavan has a proflex, i think it was, MTB. It looks like the forks are turned backwards but it was designed that way. So, i figure, what's the harm? Try see if you like it. If you don't put it back.

My experience with choppers is with the full sized ones, but here is my two cents worth. They DO NOT handle like the normal m/c or m/b. The center of gravity is much lower (when done right) when the neck is properly raked (37-50 degrees). The turning radius is much larger (30-50' instead of 10'), but boy are they a joy to ride. Very comforable(even rigid) and it seems like you are literally flying. You are much closer to the ground. Besides....they're KOOL!

There are a whole bunch of places on-line who cater to chopper bikes and parts. Just do a search for "chopper bicycle parts" or PM me. I'll help you out.

My experience with choppers is with the full sized ones, but here is my two cents worth. They DO NOT handle like the normal m/c or m/b. The center of gravity is much lower (when done right) when the neck is properly raked (37-50 degrees). The turning radius is much larger (30-50' instead of 10'), but boy are they a joy to ride. Very comforable(even rigid) and it seems like you are literally flying. You are much closer to the ground. Besides....they're KOOL!

There are a whole bunch of places on-line who cater to chopper bikes and parts. Just do a search for "chopper bicycle parts" or PM me. I'll help you out.

Yes sir-re. Totally cool but they do draw major attention. Usually not a good thing. I ride in the country so I can get away with it. I love to ride the standard MB frame, but the chopper feel is 2X the rush. I agree its a little wobbly at slow speed (1- 4mph) and the turning radiusonce takes a little to get used to but when you get moving there's nothing like it. (Full scale or small)

The same thing about MB chopper's holds true today as it did with choppers in the '60's, (I was there man, ha). They were never about comfort or making your bum feel better, or how tight you could turn. They were about being radical, looking super cool and annoying straight people just a little.

You know the cool thing about the OCC is, it was (supposedly) designed by the OCC team. They did a great job!

Last edited:
Back