Choppin' The Gooseneck

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Hal the Elder, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY QUENTON:

Since I installed the Riser Bars on Oscar, he looks like an Elk with his Antlers!

I love the shape of those handlebars, but the stock gooseneck perches 'em 5-1/2 inches above the triple tree, which makes the combination look silly.

I would like to lower the gooseneck by three inches. If I sawed off that much, plus the mounting bolt, would the internal clamping wedge still work?

Here's a shot of the gooseneck & bars:

HAL

Attached Files:

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hal, before you go a' choppin', might I make a suggestion? Take a look at a Wald #4 chrome stem (below). It'll be shorter, plus the part that the bars clamp into angles out from the stem at closer to a 90 degree angle, instead of angling upwards like the Whizzer stem. Also, it's inexpensive, and any local bike shop should be able to get it for you if they don't already have one in stock. It's also on the Memory Lane Classics website. It's nothing fancy, but it is solid. I've used them on a number of bikes I've rebuilt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. mabman

mabman Member

As long as you follow the same angle that the quill is cut at there is no reason why not that I see. Cut the same amount off the bolt. It still puzzles me why the quill won't go in to the headtube further though as usually HT's are hollow through and through and the same ID. It must have something to do with the Whizzer front fork?

I know this is a long shot but did you try backing off the allen bolt and whacking it with a nylon hammer? Sometimes the wedge gets stuck in there and it acts like it won't move although you have the bolt backed off.

Another option is this http://cgi.ebay.com/New-BMX-Square-...dset-Blue_W0QQitemZ360071741690QQcmdZViewItem might look sharp and will do what you need at the same time. BMX stems like this are pretty strong and they have 4 bolts instead of 2 even. An alloy clamp will hold those chromium bars more securely than a chrome one would also.

4. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY MABMAN

If you'll notice on my photo of the stem, there's a chrome hex nut that contacts the triple tree, and it won't slip up any higher on the stem, because the stem's diameter increases above the chrome nut.

There's no way that stem can be driven down any further as long as that nut is there, and even without the nut, the stem's diameter is too big for the hole in the triple tree.

So even if I sawed it off, it still won't sink any deeper into the steering head than it is now.

Solution? Order the Chrome Forged Steel stem from MLC that Kilroy has on his "Thumper"!

HAL

Attached Files:

5. mabman

mabman Member

Hey Hal

That just looks like a regular old headset top nut and a .875 quill stem to me but what do I know after 30+ years of being a bicycle mechanic? Good luck.

6. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY MABMAN:

I exposed a portion of the stem under the nut and measured it with my dial calipers, and it's not perfectly round, but the diameter varies between 0.810" and 0.840", so it's less than the 0.875" (7/8)" you mentioned.

(You've wrenched a lot of bikes in your time!)

HAL

7. mabman

mabman Member

Here is a stem like the one Kilroy suggested: DSC01195.JPG It is a very standard item and came on many bikes since the 40's with 1" headsets, and a standard to this day in the cruiser/cantilever frames that are grandkids of the bikes that Whizzers were made to fit on.

Here is what it measures: DSC01196.JPG

Hold the phone. After I punched the button I happened to remember that BMX used a slightly smaller headset back in the 70's and 80's. They used it also on some of the first hand made mtn. bikes. It is outlined here: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html#stem Looks like a weiner!

Oh, and someone tell that Montana Whizzer chap that his kickstand is down.

8. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY MABMAN:

Today I ordered a stem from "Memory Lane Classics", a vintage bike parts dealer in Ohio. Kilroy told me about the place.

I ordered the same stem that Kilroy has on his "retro-custom" Whizzer "Thumper", a 22.2 mm (7/8") Chrome Forged Steel stem.

The man on the Montana Whizzer does indeed have his kickstand unlatched!

His name is Gary Breylinger, and here's a picture of him with his high school buddies, taken in 1949, 60 years ago. He's second from the left.

Note that the Riser bars were popular even then!

The picture was copied off my monitor screen, but it wasn't very sharp to begin with, and was expanded in addition.

HAL

Attached Files:

9. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hi Hal, in the other thread you had asked me for a close-up photo of the gooseneck on Thumper, so I took a couple today. Here they are:

Attached Files:

10. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY KILROY:

That stem looks as high as my stock one. Won't it sink any deeper into the steering tube?

HAL

11. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hal, mine will go lower, but I have it at that height so my speedometer doesn't hit the tank.

12. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY KILROY:

So it WILL slip lower into the steering tube...THANK ST. PATRICK!

I want to insert the stem as low as it will go, and I can always find a different orientation for the speedo to avoid tank contact.

HAL

13. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY KILROY:

My gooseneck arrived today...a beautiful chromed steel forging, the same one as on your Thumper.

It will not fit my 2005 NE5 because it's diameter is 0.875" and my steering tube ID is 0.835". It's .040" too big in diameter.

I'll send it back Monday...any ideas?

I'll start visiting the bike stores...WITH MY DIAL CALIPERS! Any stem over 0.835"...NO GO!

Hal

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  14. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hal, before you send it back, how much was it? I need to get one of those for my brother's vintage Columbia / Whizzer project. Maybe I can buy it from you...

Isn't that odd that it would fit my 2005 NE5 and not yours...:confused:

15. mabman

mabman Member

I hate to say I told you so....

Hold the phone. After I punched the button I happened to remember that BMX used a slightly smaller headset back in the 70's and 80's. They used it also on some of the first hand made mtn. bikes. It is outlined here: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html#stem Looks like a weiner!

16. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

That still doesn't explain why a particular stem will work on my bike and not Hal's. I have that very model Gooseneck (also from Memory Lane) on my 2005 NE5, which is the same year NE5 as Hal's.

17. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY MABMAN, HEY KILROY:

MABMAN:
    I checked out that link you put in your post, and Harris Cyclery has an Alloy/Steel Stem (SM242) with a 21.15mm quill diameter (0.83") that WILL FIT in Oscar's steering tube!

KILROY:
    My cost for the chrome forged steel stem was $30 plus $5.60 shipping from Memory Lane Classics.
    I could pay the shipping and send it back for a Credit Card Refund, or I could send it to you.
    What will you give me for it?

HAL

18. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hey Hal, I'm interested. I'll send a PM...

19. mabman

mabman Member

No you are right, it doesn't. But stranger things have happened. Because Hal's is a standard size, albeit not anymore really, I would just have to think that Whizzer perhaps had their frames made in more than one factory or something else that is odd was going on. We'll never know until more NE5 owners compare notes.

When he told us his original stem diameter I thought something was funny that is why I tried to warn him about the older standard. Oh well, maybe you'll get a good deal on the stem you need at least while he pays twice for the same part.

It does baffle me a bit on here how some people will ask for advice, get it, and disregard it? Makes me wonder why I try and dispense it at times. Or why they ask to begin with.

20. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY MABMAN:

I won't be paying twice for the same part...only once!

I paid Memory Lane Classics for the stem plus shipping.

It didn't fit.

So instead of sending it back to them for a refund, Kilroy offered to buy the stem from me for the same price as what I paid the Vendor, also reimbursing me for my shipping charge from California to Pennsylvania!

See? I'm not out one cent!

Now, when I buy a stem that fits, I'll be paying for it FOR THE FIRST TIME!

ALso, Mr. MABMAN...if my local bike shops don't stock a gooseneck that will fit, then I WILL ORDER that stem that was shown in the link you provided me !

So DON'T SAY I'M DISREGARDING YOUR ADVICE, MR. MABMAN!

HAL

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009