Chrome engines

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rockjaw, May 10, 2014.

1. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

does anyone have a chrome engine? i dont know squat about chroming sure the engine can be sent off to a company ..anyone know of one?

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen one. I don't know how well chrome will hold up on the hot cylinder and head.
    Sickbikeparts and some other vendors sell polished engine covers for the 2 strokes.
  3. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

4. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

cool thanks! ..polished looks good too ;)
  5. k-wad

k-wad Member

With a little work, those little Chinese motors can look pretty cool.
    Just get yourself some sandpaper in grits from 150 through 600, some 0000 steel wool and a tub of metal polish. Pop in a movie, and get to work!
    Start with the 150 grit paper, then work your way up to 600. (It's best to use a sanding block on the flat surfaces.) Once your done with the sandpaper, buff the metal with the steel wool. Then, go at with a soft cloth and some metal polish.

And....Wah-La! (that's french for "TA-DA!").....shiny motor!

6. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Nice work k-wad
  7. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

nice! yes will do thanks! I think its worth it ..i would get more cash for these bikes if polished ;)
    would that work on the gas tank too???
  8. OCCStingray

OCCStingray Member

9. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

that from a dremel tool?
  10. OCCStingray

OCCStingray Member

Head and case are chrome, jug is cast finish.
    May add some black stripes to the jug to break it up.
  11. professor

professor Active Member

rough cast and black will radiate more heat than shiny metal. You may want to think twice about polishing fins.
  12. k-wad

k-wad Member

Very true, however, with painting the cylinders black first, I've never had a problem with the polished fins causing overheating problems.
    On the heads I've polished, only the outside fins were polished. The ones over the combustion chamber were left rough (with only the very edges being polished).

I am a little leary of those chrome plated heads I've seen being sold. The extra layer of copper and nickel that goes into the plaiting process can't be good for heat dissipation.
  13. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

chrome retains heat

now on a motor that really does not have enough cooling to start with is getting it chromed such a good idea?
  14. OCCStingray

OCCStingray Member

If the heat is not retained by the head in the first instance, and is exhausted, can only be a good thing???
  15. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

Do you have a background in aircooled motors?
    Have you done the research to fully understand how these motors are cooled?

If you had you would understand why they run better with aftermarket heads or Puch heads machined to fit but since you have not you never will.
  16. OCCStingray

OCCStingray Member

Have you had a reality check on how much of a **** head you come across as?
    You have no idea of my engineering background and no idea on what I have tried or read.

Do us all a favor and keep your contributions to yourself if you have nothing constructive to add.
  17. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

better look in the mirror. Typical infantile responce having to resort to profanity
  18. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

Fred heads are not chromed or polished they are milled from solid blocks of aluminum. Stock heads are sand cast from **** poor quality aluminum. What some so called experts fail to understand its about total surface area of the case cylinder and head cooling fins that allows a aircooled motor to cool itself the more surface area the more heat it is able to disipate into the air. If you want proof of this go to Daytona bike week or Sturgis and see what the motors look like that have been ridden a 1000 miles or more to get there compared to the ones that came in a trailer and not even started to get to where they are displayed.

Fancy looks and Chrome don't get you home only take hours to polish.
  19. OCCStingray

OCCStingray Member

How about your expert opinion on my original question about chrome, and please contain your answer to facts thank you.