Chug-a-Lug

M88

Local time
1:39 AM
I purchase a kit from GasBike - pretty decent for the price. Problem I have is that at lower speed it is herky-jerky. Higher speed is smooth enough and quick enough for this ol' fart so a sprocket ratio change is not a satisfactory option.
Anyone have a solution? I have had centrifugal clutches on other do-dads which I liked.

Thanks!

M88

sounds like normal for a 2-stroke kit, as they don't pull well below about 10mph - learn to run it a bit, pull clutch & coast a bit, lather, repeat

Thanks for the reply Crassius - I do that but I'm a bit concerned about clutch life.

whole set of new pads is about $5, but with gentle clutch engagement, you'll probably not wear them much at all

Pretty sure it's not a carb problem - simply one of too high gearing, like if you stay in 4th gear and go too slow .......................... chug-a-lug's the way ya go!
That's the problem with only one gear. You trade top end speed for low end smoothness and better acceleration. My other rides have had 5 and 6 speeds - nice!

Mine was like that as new but got better with break-in. Put 3 tanks of fuel thru it and then come back. We have some tricks.

Mine is quite good now. Smooth enough to keep the clutch engaged while turning around in a narrow road.

Steve

Thanks sbest! I'll give it a go. Lets see, at 150 mpg and 1.6 gallons to burn, I'll be 240 miles from home when it starts working ok. Hm-m-m-m...........Oh honey sweetie, wanna go for a ride?

Thanks sbest! I'll give it a go. Lets see, at 150 mpg and 1.6 gallons to burn, I'll be 240 miles from home when it starts working ok. Hm-m-m-m...........Oh honey sweetie, wanna go for a ride?

Ha! Good luck with the 150mpg. Were you keeping track? I got like 30mpg on the first tank. I rode 20kms, looked in the tank, almost bone dry. I was wondering where the leak was. It got better on the next tanks.
Anyone else have this happen?

Even now, I don't think I am near 150mpg. Probably under 100mpg but I haven't kept track. I will try to.

Steve

Back