Chung Yang 460R go to spot

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by dchevygod, Aug 7, 2013.

1. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I just bolted a cy460r to an ezip trailz and I am extremely impressed with the power. I have seen a couple instances of this engine on a MB. Let's get a good reference source for this engine on this site. 4.2 HP @ 11000 rpm and the only real down flaw is a high clutch stall rpm which can be fixed with the lower stall springs. $255 plus shipping from ADA racing. If you have a 78mm mount check this motor out its worth every penny. I like the mini 4strokes but if you want to go fast this is the ticket!

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

460 engines habitually break clutch lower stall springs when you're miles from home.
    It's a major design defect, but then 460s were never built to idle @ 2700rpm.
    I quieted down the 460 dramatically. When a solution is offered, then I'll run 460s again.
    I replaced mine with a Tanaka 47R, which has zero issues.
    I also quited down this Tanaka engine too.

3. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

OK 5-7 I have a close ties to the goped world and have intended to upgrade the 3 shoe 3 spring clutch to a " super clutch " 2 shoes and 1 spring. Like the g43l clutch which is very reliable.

4. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

IMG_0117.jpg here is the super clutch for the 460 or g62 TS or skopod conversion. This will make my bike a reliable commuter I hope. My current stock clutch engages at 5700 supposedly and stalls at 7300 again supposedly. It feels more like a 7000 engagement and 9000 stall. I have gotten this motor to nearly 12000 RPM @ 43.27 mph and love it! But I'd like to be able to cruise at a lower speed than 27mph cause that's where the clutch stops slipping! Also it shakes when the clutch engages? I'm hoping that lowering the stall speed will fix the bad shake and make it more rideable.

5. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm sure you know that 460 crank has a tapered end. Does this clutch also have that tapered end?
    Will this clutch work? It's meant to engage @ 2,000rpm, while the 460 idles at 2500-3000rpm.
    It's sad that the 460's OEM clutch doesn't work for MBs. It seems to be of high quality, more so than the 3-spring Cag clutch.

7. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Yes these have a taper in em. They were being sold on goped nation and billetboard by a guy who was jacking up the price to $75!!! The 2000 rpm engagement is awesome for acceleration and works really well. And you could always lighten the shoes for a higher engagement.

8. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

I've used lighter springs on the 460 clutch. I've also used the 3-spring $10 Cag clutch.
    Both allowed the 460 to engage around 2700rpm. That allowed the 460 to remain tame from a standing start thru low, middle and high rpm ranges.
    Sadly these two options were unreliable.

I'm gonna buy that clutch you recommended. Its key component is the piece the bolts onto the 460's tapered shaft.
    If the springs or shoes break, hopefully the center piece will bolt onto the Tanaka 47R's clutch.
    If it does, I believe that it will forever cure 460 clutch issues.

What can I lose? The price is right! Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  9. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

aww cyrap

Arrrg! 50 miles in and the E-Zip frame is in need of repair at least :( I knew I shouldn't have run it with the stock clutch :mad I think this engine's torque flexes the steel mount plate too much and it snapped the adjuster stud off and then wrenched the other mounting point on the lower frame stantion [​IMG]

10. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Before the shake down ride [​IMG]

11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

nice setup.

Will you be using a pipe?

12. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

What axle mounting kit is that? Staton or the Chinese one for sale on some sites?

13. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Thanks 5-7! There isn't a pipe that would work without mods so the answer to that is, if I can make one work yes!

Darwin, I am not the kind of guy that uses "kits". I modified an E-zip trailz " electric bike " to run a gas engine. 5:1 reverse rotation trans, 8mm chain and sprockets at 11:44, drill the ezip mount plate attach the trans to that, change the drive sprocket and freewheel. Then install chain and mount engine with plate to wheel, install wheel motor assembly, throttle and fuel tank " I'm running a temporary small bottle for now " the frame is going to be repaired, I put the wheel motor assembly on my backup bike "Next Avalon" till repairs are done.

14. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

I have found the SBP high performance pipe to be VERY adaptable to the 460.
    Besides being a perfect match between pipe and exhaust port,
    the kit's elbow pipes might just make it fit up and around the engine.
    Granted, it's not the ultimate power pipe for this engine, but it'll work well.
    Besides, it does a FANTASTIC job of quieting this loud engine.
    On one of my engines, I swear I could hear the piston ring scraping the cylinder wall during idle.

15. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Good to know about the sbp pipes. Thanks, I'm not sure I need any more power. I need reinforcements on the frame as it is. Axle mount would probably be good on a lower HP motor, this thing is stupid powerful I've damaged the ezip frame and the assembly rotated on my Avalon :O

16. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Yesterday I was on a pretty good ride, maybe 35 miles. I had just made it to a friends house and my drive power quit, but the engine was idling and free revving? At first I thought it was the 5:1 trans then I looked down and revved it saw the chain spin. LSD Freewheel toasted, :confused: I thought for a second. Its Friday before Labor day weekend @ 4:30 " I doubt that I can find a shop willing to tack weld the freewheel right now ".

So out came my friends drill. Put a pilot hole thru the fragged part and put in a locator screw, hacked off the screw head and installed the assembly. :devilish: It actually works better! LOL I really was surprised.
    I had a vibration from 15-25mph and its now gone, not freewheeling added engine braking on decceleration till about 15-12mph when the clutch disengages " I left the stock clutch springs in for now "

17. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Glad you fixed it.
    Before the freewheel fragged, how many miles do you have on the freewheel?

18. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I had just over 200 miles on the freewheel 5-7. But it was shortened by allowing a few heavy friends ride it and they didn't know how to ride it. On and off the power way too much.

19. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Ahhh, that figures.
    Hey, I bought that clutch you recommended.
    Springs look VERY light. I haven't installed it on my 460 yet.

20. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Does it look like a longer spring would go across the center or no? Is the bolt in the way?