Clamping to carbon frame bicycle ??

Bill P

Local time
12:33 PM
I have a Staton crank shaft kit in bound, I bought a Trek OCLV carbon frame bike to attach it to, nice bike, strong components, etc.There is a lot of talk that this material does not want to clamped to, I would need to clamp near the v-break only and would place a rubberized sheath in between.The only other option would be to clamp to to the quick release on the seat post or the seat post itself.Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts....Thanks.

I have a Staton crank shaft kit in bound, I bought a Trek OCLV carbon frame bike to attach it to, nice bike, strong components, etc.There is a lot of talk that this material does not want to clamped to, I would need to clamp near the v-break only and would place a rubberized sheath in between.The only other option would be to clamp to to the quick release on the seat post or the seat post itself.Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts....Thanks.
AL frames are pushing it for builds, but IMO carbon fiber is a frame material you don't want for a motorized bike.

I'd ask Dave at Staton see what he says. I don't know for sure but it seems carbon is easily scratched by metal and that would be a weakspot.

I've been thinking about this one and scratching my head. CF is supposed to be stronger than steel right, and is. If you get a deep scratch in one though you can count on it breaking where the scratch is, if and when it breaks. Case in point, your favorite fishing pole. If you don't treat that pole with care ie. like just tossing them into the pickup bed or what not they get pretty banged up. If and when that pole snaps it's always where there's a gash in it. So you learn not to just toss them around so they'll last longer.............just ranting.

Back