Cleaning an old bike frame

shawnshank

Local time
11:21 AM
I recently aquired an old bike (really old) that has been sitting around for some time and has rust on the frame, chrome parts, handle bars, cranks, rims etc. but most of the lettering is in good condition.
What I'd like to know is how to go about cleaning the frame without destroying the paint. I'd like to do as little as possible since I like the original look of it but I want to prevent it from further deteriorating.
Also, the rims and handlebars have the most rust. Is there a way to clean those up that will not harm them?

cleaning bike frame

I use a cheap siphon feed sandblasting gun with baking soda as the abrasive medium. If the chrome isn't rusted too badly, it shines back up surprisingly well. If it can be left as is, I coat it with clear coat. Almost looks like original in some cases. To remove rust and prepare for repainting, the same rig with a very fine media will work. If you use silica sand, be sure to wear a respirator. The dust causes silicosis.

Denny

WD-40 with fine steel wool on the chrome. Just hit the rust on the frame with a fine snad paper and clear coat to keep the rust from coming back.

Shawn,
If your still at square one and don't feel like sanding and painting. Use rubbing alcohol on a rag or better yet, I put mine in an airbrush. Be careful, it's seriously flamable!

Back