Climate Change Skeptics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HybriPed, Jan 4, 2010.

1. HybriPed

HybriPed Member

The Mercury newspaper in Hobart, Tasmania published this letter of mine: The references are Aussie, but the sentiment is universal. What do you think?

Climate change skeptic Harry Stanton dismisses climate change a the latest doomsday scenario with religious language that conjures up fears of a Jonestown or Wako cult.

The big difference between religious doomsday scenarios and climate change is science. Galileo was persecuted by the church in his time because, through science, he proved that the earth revolved around the sun. Galileo was right and the skeptical religious hierarchy were wrong.

Climate change sceptics rarely address the science. For them, climate change skepticism takes on religious dimensions with the fervor of doomsday preachers as we saw in Barnaby "Bring it On" Joyce during the recent Emissions Trading Scheme debate in the Senate. Like the church of old, they dismiss the warnings of eminent scientists, such as Professor Will Steffen, Executive Director, ANU Climate Change Institute.

Following the Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, Professor Steffen blogged; "The science is absolutely clear and growing even stronger - unabated climate change means serious, and perhaps even existential, risks."

"Who really knows (whether the prophets of doom are right or wrong)?" asks Mr Stanton.

The scientists know. Go and ask them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. professor

professor Active Member

If the proponents of climate change (formerly known as global warming- until it became obvious it was a lie) did not feed deeply at the trough of government funding, we might have more regard for their "findings".
    You need to merely follow the money.
    A large group of scientist say this "change" is bunk, however the media refuse to mention it.
    Science really means- we OBSERVE thus, therefore........
    Without observation you simply have a secular religion masquerading as something else. And you thought your were free of religion.

3. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

If the science is so overwhelming, why did the CRU scientists need to fudge their data and climate models to prove their point? I don't buy into the hoax.

4. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

5. kerf

kerf Guest

We've already had this discussion in another thread in this forum, you couldn't make your point there so you started another thread. You want to hear from a scientist, it'll take you 1:05:26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWpH0lmcxA

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  6. kerf

kerf Guest

Global warming where are you? I live in the deep south, we don't do winter very well here! I live 250 miles from the gulf coast and was looking forward to the endless summer and with the sea level rise, only having to drive 50 miles to the beach. Darn!

weather.gov
    National Weather Service

Watches, Warnings & Advisories
    Local weather forecast by "City, St" or zip code
    3 products issued by NWS for: Center Point AL
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hazardous Weather Outlook
    HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL
    630 PM CST MON JAN 4 2010

ALZ011>015-017>050-060030-
    AUTAUGA-BARBOUR-BIBB-BLOUNT-BULLOCK-CALHOUN-CHAMBERS-CHEROKEE-
    CHILTON-CLAY-CLEBURNE-COOSA-DALLAS-ELMORE-ETOWAH-FAYETTE-GREENE-HALE-
    JEFFERSON-LAMAR-LEE-LOWNDES-MACON-MARENGO-MARION-MONTGOMERY-PERRY-
    PICKENS-PIKE-RANDOLPH-RUSSELL-SHELBY-ST CLAIR-SUMTER-TALLADEGA-
    TALLAPOOSA-TUSCALOOSA-WALKER-WINSTON-
    630 PM CST MON JAN 4 2010

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR THE COUNTIES SERVED BY THE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN BIRMINGHAM.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

A HARD FREEZE WARNING IS IN EFFECT TONIGHT FROM MIDNIGHT UNTIL 10 AM
    TUESDAY MORNING FOR ALL OF CENTRAL ALABAMA. LOW TEMPERATURES ARE
    EXPECTED TO DIP BELOW 15 DEGREES AT MOST LOCATIONS. EXTRA
    PRECAUTIONS WILL BE NECESSARY DUE TO THESE COLD CONDITIONS.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

THE HARD FREEZE WARNING WILL CONTINUE FOR TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH 10
    AM.

A HARD FREEZE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO
    WEDNESDAY MORNING.

A PROLONGED PERIOD OF VERY COLD TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO
    CONTINUE THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK AND WEEKEND. FOR THE
    LATTER HALF OF THE WEEK THE FORECAST CALLS FOR VERY LOW WIND CHILLS
    FOR THURSDAY NIGHT...FRIDAY NIGHT...AND SATURDAY NIGHT. WIND CHILLS
    COULD DROP DOWN TO NEAR ZERO OR POSSIBLY INTO THE NEGATIVE SINGLE
    DIGITS.

SNOW IS BECOMING LIKELY ON THURSDAY...POSSIBLY BEGINNING AS EARLY AS
    WEDNESDAY NIGHT. OVERALL CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING. AT THIS
    TIME...ONE TO TWO INCHES OF SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION ARE FORECAST WITH
    ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. STAY TUNED FOR FUTURE UPDATES.

A FIRE WEATHER WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHERN TWO THIRDS OF
    CENTRAL ALABAMA FROM TUESDAY NOON THROUGH 6 PM.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

ACTIVATION OF STORM SPOTTERS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT IS NOT
    EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

7. professor

professor Active Member

Kerf, thanks for that Youtube link. I listened to the whole thing. excellent.

8. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

It amuses me that the global warming zealots will use regional "heat waves" as proof that the earth "has a fever", but totally dismiss national "cold snaps" and record low temps/snowfall as anomalies.

It's miserable out there, but I will be enjoying some snowboarding at the end of the week. Even a harsh winter has some upsides. I hear conditions are great!

9. kerf

kerf Guest

We had a nice little snow one winter about 10 or 12 years ago. My neighbor had a sled and I gave her a whirl, great ride, it ended about three blocks from the house. Busted my rear end about six times trying to climb the slick hill to get back home. Still fun.

Wonder if my water skis will work on snow?

10. alarmguy111

alarmguy111 New Member

It is very obvious for any rational thinking person that if you have to lie about your data, then maybe there is a problem with your equation! And, the lining up at the gov't trough is a great observation. If you ever want to know where the dirt is, just follow the money, and you will always find it!
    Oh, and has anyone else noticed that the more vehemetly an individual declares allegienc to the global-warming fraud, the more likely they are to adhere to other Marxist beliefs? Look at Cass Sunstein! That guy is a looney tunes! I think all of our pets should have the right to sue us! Dee-Ta-Dee!
    It is bad enough that the gov't is regulating the heck out of this hobby/spot!
    alarmguy111

11. professor

professor Active Member

The speaker on the video told of his testimony at a lawsuit to stop a (insane) law stipulating 40 something fleet mpg for cars by 2106. What happens when no cars will be able to be sold in Cal?
    Will everybody have to keep their old ones or have to get motorbikes? Or will the people demand repeal of their stupid law?

12. HybriPed

HybriPed Member

Very true. It cuts both ways.

13. kerf

kerf Guest

But I don't need a secular religion, I got the REAL THING.

14. I don't see no global warming here in upstate ny, I only see global freezing.
    Only had a month or two of summer and now its winter, i was looking forward to warm temps all year,but o well. Maybe it being cold all year is a bad sign too. We use to have 4 seasons of the year and now only spring,fall and winter.

15. HybriPed

HybriPed Member

Thanks for that, kerf. Up till now, I'd only vaguely heard the name.

It's obviously a waste of time debating climate that in a forum like this.

One thing we can say for sure. Both sides of the climate argument can't be right.

16. tjs323626

tjs323626 Member

I'm with you Hybriped. There are so many people around who have their head shoved so far up their you know what that they will never see the light of day.

17. kerf

kerf Guest

I always enjoy it when someone engages in the conversation and brings with them not only their position but the facts that support that position. This is so much more refreshing than someone that only has the mental acuity to throw around general derogatory statements that mean nothing to the debate

18. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

That is just not true...

I used to believe 100% that the Earth was getting hotter and that we were the cause. A few years ago the a/c was not working in my car because of a damaged switch. The temps went 110+ for 3 weeks straight, we were in the middle of a drought, and gas was soaring towards $5 a gallon. To top it off I had just spent 3 months in a biology program that was a non stop climate change propaganda class. I had to hear about the dying frogs, the changing rain patterns, rising global temps, melting ice caps, etc.

Needless to say... my Dad got tired of me telling him to stop spraying down the house and start recycling. He especially got tired of me calling him a "climate changer" because of his hemi jeep that got 9-10 mpg.

Look you guys... its a power grab. I was on board when it was voluntary, but when they started to talk about globally changing laws and generating billions in revenue it changed the game for me. It made me look at what was really happening. This is the vehicle that will allow a global government to have jurisdiction over everything you do... it will give them the legal and financial tools to have more power than our constitution.

Let me ask you this... if we enact the total sum of all the legislation the "climate change" people are shooting for what will happen? Will we guarantee the survival of the planet... no. Will we guarantee the death of personal freedom... yes. Will we guarantee an even tougher regulatory environment for private business that will cause the extermination and ultimate loss of jobs for millions... yes. Will they be replaced by "green jobs".... not likely.

Just follow the money... it will lead right to the greed and corruption. Starting with al gore... how much does he stand to make if this carbon tax thing goes through?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  19. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Baloney. More like the popular press roundly ignores any science that doesn't prop up the wimpy idea of universal, rapid, man made planetary warming.

There are plenty of scientists actually REPRESSED for exactly addressing the weaknesses of the idea.

Follow the money trail of all research.

Anyway - we do need to decrease our dependence on fossil fuels. You don't need to lie to people to move in that direction. By making up false science, I think the climate change crowd and their sycophantic press have done much more harm than good for this quest.

20. kerf

kerf Guest

Vtec, you have hit the nail upon the head. Science is about the empirical discovery of truth and the most important voice in science is that of dissent. It's the voice of dissent that makes science self correcting and pushes it to prove its position over and over. What has happened to the climate debate, is the unholy merger of science and politics. Politics is about power and money and truth is a constant causality in this dirty little profession. The merger of good and evil never results in good only more evil.

When I first heard that "the debate is over, we must act today", I knew we were in trouble. I fully support the continued research into the climate and the effects of substances such as CO2, I also fully support the research into renewable energy sources. These endeavors must take place in an open and reason environment and must be separated from the greedy hands of the politicians.