Clutch cable better mounting yeah!

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Large Filipino, Feb 14, 2008.

1. I would like a Coors Light cause it's Colorado grown and I have to watch my figure. :D

I found a better way to install that clutch cable so it's so free flowing I'm pretty sure that clutch will pull so much easier.

My enclosed patio has an electrical problem so my lights ain't working in there so I'm gonna have to wait till tomorrow to get it in there.

So just to whet your whistle,here's some peliminary pics.

Trust me,it's pretty tight!

Do you see it?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      163.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      184.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      189.9 KB
      Views:

2. How in the world am I supposed to wait till morning?
    I went in my garage. There'a a nice light there.
    Look at the pics.
    See the fluid cable motion?
    ONE FINGER PULL.
    I shot a video but it was too dark.
    I'll shoot a video in the morning,and I'll try to get a parts list here.
    Serously,guys. This clutch is EFFORTLESS.
    Okay let's talk benefits here.
    Longer clutch cable life because:
    No kinks
    Easier pull
    Clears the engine.

COORS LIGHT. :cool::grin::cool:

HEY! My bike is dirty!

I kinda like it that way.

..patina.

Attached Files:

• clear.JPG
      clear.JPG
      File size:
      178.6 KB
      Views:
    • woah.JPG
      woah.JPG
      File size:
      176.5 KB
      Views:
    • end.JPG
      end.JPG
      File size:
      181.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Brilliant! Parts list would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  4. Okay just a quick run down.
    That angle iron I had laying around. It usually comes in like 2 foot lenghts. I lined up the holes and was amazed as to how well it lined up to the engine bolt holes. That adjusting screw I snagged from an old brake lever. Then with tin snips cut it,bend the end up,snip the extra metal off and I had to make the hole a bit bigger with a drill.
    MOUNT the angle iron to something solid when you do this. I tried using just my hand and it cut me pretty good.
    The bolts are size 6 metric,about 5 or 6 threads longer than the original bolt so bring the original bolt with you.
    The roller has ball bearings. Check out the pic. I got all these parts from Lowes.
    Then 1/4 sized washers and lock washers.
    I had the angle iron laying around so it's not counted in the total tally,the rollers were almost 6 bucks.
    Total bill was almost 8 bucks.
    You can use any angle iron. Mine is about an inch wide on both ends.
    If your angle iron don't have the holes,then drill them.
    And it doesn't have to be really thick. This one's pretty strong.

5. mickey

mickey Guest

Dude! That's great. I like that you are never quite satisfied, and always thinking about improvements.

Rock on!

6. Scottm

Scottm Guest

pure genius Large.Keep up the great work.

7. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Patio door rollers....Why didn't I think of that? I used an old Happy Time clutch lever to engage my snow thrower scrubber drive setup and couldn't think of a roller to use, so I ended up using an old tensioner roller. Worked, but not nearly as nice as your idea. Keep the ideas coming. :cool:

Denny

Nice segue to make Coors on topic. :grin: Wonder if it would work with Old Mil

8. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

awesome....just awesome!!!
    and your timing is fantastic, too!! the cable guide on one of mine popped out of the engine block a couple weeks back.....almost no threads left on it. I put it back together, but it's a matter of time before I have to fix it right & tight.

I think you found a winner!!

Thanks for sharing!!

9. Brilliant Large! Absolutely brilliant. I'm going to 'borrow' your idea shamelessly on my bike this weekend:)

10. Right on guys! Please post your versions here. I still think I could improve on it visually but actually...naw. :D

I've been waiting all morning for this video to finally load up.
    Check out the clutch pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9zRFqLRmEY

11. azbill

azbill Active Member

very cool 'outta the box' thinkin there large !!! :D
    excellent tip :D

12. Back from a long ride today. I absolutely love it. The clutch pull is so smooth now;before it felt grabby cause..it's hard to explain..the kink I had made it...just not smooth.
    This is especially a good mod for those weak in the hand muscles (not to be a chauvinist,but like your wife or small people) and good for all if you want that smooth clutch takeoff.
    It's simply so worth doing this mod,and best of all I'm not near as worried as I was before as to "Is this the last pull this cable is gonna stand?"
    Now I can lock my clutch lever all day and not worry.
    ALL happy time owners need to do this mod.
    I bet with some machinery,one can make a visually appealing mount that would look like it goes with the bike.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  13. mickey

mickey Guest

It really is a great idea, Large. This weekend, I'm going to go look in the bike graveyard and see if a piece of a junked front or rear deraileurr could be modified to work as a bracket since it already has the socket for the cable end. And maybe an old turning block from a ancient racing style 10speed could be substituted for the door roller. I remember the old bikes that ran bare wire and had turning blocks at the frame joints, something like that.

14. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Very good tweek Large,good thinking.
    All these modifications help....some u adopt and some u don't,but it's ALWAYS better to know.

15. Just came back from yet another long ride and when I parked it at the Library I found ANOTHER new benefit.

Anti Theft Device!

When you're locking up your bike,with your finger push in the clutch arm enough to flick the clutch cable away from the roller. Then tuck it under the roller (optional).

Now here comes low life want to take your bike @#$^%$#@er. Somehow he manages to break your bike lock and his adrenalin is pumping and he moves it...but your rear wheel isn't budging and your clutch isn't working. So he picks it up and RUNS AWAY but then you see him and give chase and by the time you catch up to him he's like so tired out and you can beat the $#%&*&^%$#!@.....^%$#@%$#@ out of him and he goes to jail and the day is saved!

Yes. That is EXACTLY how it would happen.

(And on the installation,I think that the bigger a pulley you can get,the easier the clutch pull will be because of the 90 degree bend on the cable. A smaller wheel would have more cable bend,a larger wheel would have less. Less bend equals easier pull.)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  16. Jim H

Jim H Guest

There are times when you think there can't be anymore modifications or tweaks to these HT's and then along comes Large Filipino...that's innovation for ya! You and others is why I continue to check in each day here, I invariably learn something.

17. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Now that's a video I wanna see. :grin:

18. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Like that roller use... do-able

19. Some of the old Sturmey-Archer three speed hubs used the bare wire and rollers for shifting. Great idea Mickey! You and Large are a killer MB design team.

20. I'm thinking now that I CAN improve on this design.
    I was looking at this thread:
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=100587&postcount=5
    And Augi has that amazing idea to keep the clutch cable intact.
    So I could just tin snip an opening to that mount so I could do this too for the brake lever nut and bolt is ALREADY cut for easy cable removal,but it would pretty much weaken that mount.
    So maybe get a thick metal bar stock to bolt to the L frame on top and the bend is already there,cut it down,drill it,thread tap it then cut a slit from up top.
    That would definetly make the whole assembly stronger.